A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Toilet admittance
Toilet admittance  [message #67784] Wed, 29 May 2013 08:51 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Men are not allowed in women's toilets. Women are not allowed in men's toilets. So why are gay men allowed in men's toilets?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Toilet admittance  [message #67785 is a reply to message #67784] Wed, 29 May 2013 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Because toilet segregation isn't about sex, but about whether one can pee standing up? Urinals take up less space, and many jurisdictions let building operators provide few toilets if an agreed proportion of them are (supposedly quick-to-use) urinals.

Actually, some modern buildings have unsegregated toilets - a common foyer area with countertops, washhandbasins and dryers, mirrors, etc, with individual cubicles off. Each cubicle is wheelchair-accessible (transfer bars etc), has provision for the disposal of sanitary products etc, is designed to provide tactile information / braille for thise who find it useful ... and an individual small washhandbasin and hand drying.  It does have the advantage that parents with opposite-sex kids feel welcome, I suppose, but I find them a bit off-putting. Economically, they work in buildings that may intermittently have a preponderance of users of one sex or the other ... venues that may host Womens Institute events one day, and Gay Mens' Choral events the next.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Toilet admittance  [message #67786 is a reply to message #67785] Fri, 31 May 2013 08:27 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"NW wrote on Wed, 29 May 2013 13:23"
Because toilet segregation isn't about sex, but about whether one can pee standing up? Urinals take up less space, and many jurisdictions let building operators provide few toilets if an agreed proportion of them are (supposedly quick-to-use) urinals.

But toilet segregation is about sex if you are a toilet user or, indeed, some toilet administrators. Look at the major issues encountered by transgender folk who are a different sex from their body parts.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Star Trek TOS gay fanfic
Next Topic: Hopefully the CBC will simulcast (or at the very least re-broadcast) this programme ...
Goto Forum: