A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Richard by Jolyon
Richard by Jolyon  [message #68289] Tue, 28 January 2014 12:53 Go to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Jolyon's hero Richard has parents who think that boys should wear the short trousers required by English prep-schools long after he has transferred to public school at 13. Their ideas are reinforced by his father's company's pending merger with a French company... whose owner has a young son who actually revels in wearing short trousers that show his legs off to great advantage. By the end of Chapter one we find Richard infatuated with both the French boy and his wonderfully exposed legs... who wouldn't be?

The story has a delightfully light touch and we can feel Richards frequent erections as they reveal to him that his passage into puberty promises delights that you and I can only remember... the memory enhanced by Jolyon's enticing prose and plot.

More Jolyon, more... please don't stop...
Re: Richard by Jolyon  [message #68360 is a reply to message #68289] Fri, 07 March 2014 19:07 Go to previous message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

I always enjoy reading Jolyon's gentle, beautiful, and almost understated writing style, and this story is no exception. For me, the contrast between that style and the dramatic events and deep emotions described emphasises the drama and emotions. The main characters are very unusual, at least in my experience, but the matter-of-fact style made me accept them as almost normal and enabled me to develop an empathy with Richard.

The main character accepts a degree of parental repression and control, not to mention a casual cruelty, that I could never imagine myself tolerating. The boy, Richard, has the sort of innocence that I cannot remember, even in my youngest self. He meets another boy who actually seems to be able to get some enjoyment out of a similar repressive parental situation. After that, Richard is no longer quite so innocent.

There are several twists and turns to the plot and the ending took me by surprise. However, after thinking about Richard's basic personality and about the things that he'd experienced, it was perhaps not so surprising after all.

I recommend this story, especially to those who like unusual characters and non-standard plots.
Previous Topic: Stick and Stoney
Next Topic: Help, I've lost a story!
Goto Forum: