A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote
"Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68728] Mon, 17 November 2014 01:51 Go to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Where Do I Fit In is a wonderful story by a gent who is published here, though you'll need to visit nifty/young_friends for this tale, it seems.

Set in the UK it appears to be a great introduction to amateur athletics in the country. Initial focus is on competitive diving, but basketball and gymnastics feature as well. The entire training regimen is wonderfully included in the story line. Definitely not a "they met, fell into bed, the end" type of story at all. This one allows you to become friends with all of the characters, but never telegraphs that there is only one path to be followed. A great job of storytelling.

Thank you Andy!
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68730 is a reply to message #68728] Mon, 17 November 2014 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
ChrisR wrote on Mon, 17 November 2014 01:51Where Do I Fit In is a wonderful story by a gent who is published here, though you'll need to visit nifty/young_friends for this tale, it seems.

Set in the UK it appears to be a great introduction to amateur athletics in the country. Initial focus is on competitive diving, but basketball and gymnastics feature as well. The entire training regimen is wonderfully included in the story line. Definitely not a "they met, fell into bed, the end" type of story at all. This one allows you to become friends with all of the characters, but never telegraphs that there is only one path to be followed. A great job of storytelling.

Thank you Andy!

--
It is on its way here. Our production queue gives authors a second audience because of the 3 month or so delay, and Andrew is already submitting polished chapters to us to ensure his place in the queue.

He seems to be able to get inside the mind of his characters, and they write his story. He just puts his fingers on the keyboard and allows it to come out.

Do tell him this thread is here.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68745 is a reply to message #68730] Wed, 03 December 2014 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This tale will start here in 28 sets time. No-one knows yet how long it will be, least of all the author! But he has sent me enough to get us started and is sending chapters as they are ready.

He's also given me a taste of a very unusual story that he's working on at the same time. I have no idea where it's going, but I do know it is a tale of young love. I've seen the proof copies of the first couple of chapters and I'm anxious to see how it unfolds. But, for that, we will have to wait.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68758 is a reply to message #68745] Tue, 09 December 2014 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

That's good news indeed. Thanks.
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68778 is a reply to message #68758] Fri, 19 December 2014 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

Yes, very good that it will be here too. I found it on Nifty and was very taken with the story. I wrote to Andrew and said so...

Paul Jamison
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68779 is a reply to message #68778] Fri, 19 December 2014 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's all scheduled to start now in set 17. You can calculate when that will be assuming we carry on at one set every other day, though that schedule may change over time.

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68823 is a reply to message #68779] Thu, 01 January 2015 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This tale starts in set 9. Set 1 runs tomorrow. Andrew is still shaping the end, perhaps even the middle. I have 30 chapters and more are coming. At the same time he is creating a very unusual tale for us, one I hope will be ready soon, and about which I will give you no clues

icon1.gif Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68836 is a reply to message #68823] Sun, 04 January 2015 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andichan is currently offline  Andichan

Getting started

I just want to offer my thanks to everyone who read 'Loneliness' and especially to those of you who took the trouble to contact me.
'Where do I fit in' is on it's way and so I hope that it meets with your approval.

Andy.
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68921 is a reply to message #68836] Wed, 21 January 2015 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

It's a cracking good tale, if you haven't started it yet then its time to catch up

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2015 01:02]

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68987 is a reply to message #68921] Sun, 01 February 2015 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bisexualguy is currently offline  bisexualguy

Toe is in the water

"Where do I Fit In" is an Excellent Tale!  I highly recommend it.
I hope he starts a sequel soon, as in within a few weeks or months after finishing the tale. 
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #68988 is a reply to message #68987] Sun, 01 February 2015 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
bisexualguy wrote on Sun, 01 February 2015 20:16"Where do I Fit In" is an Excellent Tale!  I highly recommend it.
I hope he starts a sequel soon, as in within a few weeks or months after finishing the tale. 

--
Unless Andrew changes his mind, we have something different and rather special next. I've only seen a sample couple of chapters, and those were very much in development, so only he has a clue when we'll receive it. I'm going to leave that very much to him to talk about.

He's been talking of a second volume. Time will tell.

Hmm. As if everything he has written so far is not 'rather special' Smile Silly me.

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69052 is a reply to message #68988] Fri, 13 February 2015 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

It's coming along nicely, very enjoyable and an interestingly new setting. It has me hooked.
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69088 is a reply to message #68728] Thu, 19 February 2015 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew

Toe is in the water

I really enjoyed the authors first story Loneliness and have read the first few chapters od this new story and i have to say that while completely different story wise, it is shaping up to be just as enjoyable, so great work Andy.
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69093 is a reply to message #69088] Thu, 19 February 2015 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I have been enjoying this story, with its unusual sports setting and an equally unusual relationship between the protagonists... and now an excellent story has suddenly become exceptional. Oh well done that man! Well done indeed!
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69094 is a reply to message #69093] Fri, 20 February 2015 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
solsticeman wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 23:47I have been enjoying this story, with its unusual sports setting and an equally unusual relationship between the protagonists... and now an excellent story has suddenly become exceptional. Oh well done that man! Well done indeed!

--
I'm suspecting this is the chapter 30 "oh wow!"?

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69149 is a reply to message #69094] Sat, 28 February 2015 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The final chapter came today. It held me all the way through.

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69159 is a reply to message #68728] Sun, 01 March 2015 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

It has been an enjoyable and intriguing story, but if that was the final chapter it has, for me, ended as a rather damp squib which doesn't match the rest of the fireworks.
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69160 is a reply to message #69159] Sun, 01 March 2015 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

It's been a tremendous and uplifting ride.
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69161 is a reply to message #69159] Sun, 01 March 2015 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Quote:"
ivor slipper wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 16:25It has been an enjoyable and intriguing story, but if that was the final chapter it has, for me, ended as a rather damp squib which doesn't match the rest of the fireworks.

--
I suppose that is rather like, life, though. We go through periods of exhilaration and return to the mundane. I admit I was half expecting all sorts of final chapter disasters and triumphs, such as the boys vanishing into thin air, or the dive failing. We had the indicators of possible disaster in the prior chapter.

So what could Andy have done for this final chapter? Seriously, let's have a brain dump over it!

[Updated on: Sun, 01 March 2015 16:48]

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69163 is a reply to message #69160] Sun, 01 March 2015 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andichan is currently offline  Andichan

Getting started

I really appreciate all the comments relating to this story and I include the one which didn't like the ending!

I would like to point out that sequels for both this story and Loneliness are in the pipeline so perhaps it's better to see the last chapters as a halfway house rather than a conclusion.

Timmy prefers to recieve completed works and as it takes me on average six months to write a story, they'll be a while yet!!

Andy.
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69167 is a reply to message #69163] Sun, 01 March 2015 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Andichan wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 17:21I really appreciate all the comments relating to this story and I include the one which didn't like the ending!

I would like to point out that sequels for both this story and Loneliness are in the pipeline so perhaps it's better to see the last chapters as a halfway house rather than a conclusion.

Timmy prefers to recieve completed works and as it takes me on average six months to write a story, they'll be a while yet!!

--People can wait for good things Smile Always leave 'em wanting more!

I think you know which story I'd like to see first, though. That new one that you and I know about, but is a mystery to everyone else.

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69188 is a reply to message #69163] Wed, 04 March 2015 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

Quote:
Andichan wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 17:21I really appreciate all the comments relating to this story and I include the one which didn't like the ending!

I would like to point out that sequels for both this story and Loneliness are in the pipeline so perhaps it's better to see the last chapters as a halfway house rather than a conclusion.

--

My comment was written not knowing there is a sequel in the pipeline. That obviously makes a vast difference!

Had it been only intended to go this far then imo the place to end would have been the ultimate high point of the Olympic triumph although that would still have left the reader puzzled about the boys' "ancient connection". Maybe that will be revealed in the sequel or turn out to be one of life's (death's) mysteries
Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69313 is a reply to message #69188] Wed, 18 March 2015 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Depending upon Andichan, I will be starting Fitting In on Monday. I've promised him that I can bring that forward if he can commit to the final chapter being available so no gap is left, or I can slide it back if he cannot commit. But I have eight excellent chapters already. He estimates 10-12 at present.

Re: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote  [message #69328 is a reply to message #69313] Thu, 19 March 2015 23:35 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
timmy wrote on Wed, 18 March 2015 23:23Depending upon Andichan, I will be starting Fitting In on Monday. I've promised him that I can bring that forward if he can commit to the final chapter being available so no gap is left, or I can slide it back if he cannot commit. But I have eight excellent chapters already. He estimates 10-12 at present.

--
Got 10 now. I wonder how many it will be. Seems safe to start on Monday though.

Previous Topic: Back Door Slider
Next Topic: The Axis Trilogy
Goto Forum: