A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Sort order for Storyshelf Authors
Sort order for Storyshelf Authors  [message #68848] Thu, 08 January 2015 15:22 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Over to you all

Sorting order for the list of Authors

There is no perfect way. So far, except for the occasional error, the list of authors is intended to be in alpha order of surname, (if the name is two or more words) but not where the final word is not a surname (eg Angel Love, which seems to be a name in its own right), and in order of the single name, or the first part of the words where they do not appear to be a surname/forename combination. Complex or what? The question is, what order do you want?

The current order suits me fine
Sort in alpha order of the forename (Eg Alan Smith is sorted under A not under S), then the surname if any
Treat the final element of a name as if it were a surname, (eg put Angel Love under L)

Current Results

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sort order for Storyshelf Authors  [message #68913 is a reply to message #68848] Mon, 19 January 2015 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There was not a huge amount of interest in this, but the result, though answered by relatively few folk, obeys the rules of statistical significance. The decision is thus enshrined in the site's documentation.

To make life easier for folk there is now a left hand menu option as well, at the top of the author list, entitles "Finding an Author"

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sort order for Storyshelf Authors  [message #68949 is a reply to message #68913] Sat, 24 January 2015 20:23 Go to previous message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

The way it's done works, and you point out the pitfalls.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 January 2015 20:25]

Previous Topic: TEFL
Next Topic: "A Pure and Lonely Heart" by Zambezi
Goto Forum: