A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Where are the other good stories?
Where are the other good stories?  [message #69131] Tue, 24 February 2015 23:39 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Every day I look at Nifty wondering where they are. Other sites like this one are not places I go scouting because I feel that is poaching. And, in any case, each site is different and would lose its uniqueness were we all the same.

Nifty has an awful lot of tawdry trash on it. Those words can be rearranged, too.

Some days I despair of finding good and new material. Sometimes, even when I find it, it peters out, or, worse, turns to ashes and the author carries on regardless. Many's the time I've followed good material as it turns to ashes. I admit to publishing a few like that and not having the heart to suggest the author sets himself a higher standard.

Some authors decide to set up their own sites (good) and leave their initial homes. It's odd, that. Publish here too and get linked to, why not?

So, fellow readers of gay teenage romantic stories, help me. Who else should be published here?

[Updated on: Tue, 24 February 2015 23:39]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69229 is a reply to message #69131] Sun, 08 March 2015 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ancient_richard is currently offline  ancient_richard

Getting started

I see no one else has replied to your request, and I do so hesitantly, suspecting that any worthy authors known to me will also be known to you, so if they aren't here already it's because they have declined your invitation. However, these are my suggestions:

Joel
DaBeagle,
Altimexis,
Bi Janus,
Christopher Lydon,

richard
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69230 is a reply to message #69229] Sun, 08 March 2015 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Quote:"
ancient_richard wrote on Sun, 08 March 2015 22:30I see no one else has replied to your request, and I do so hesitantly, suspecting that any worthy authors known to me will also be known to you, so if they aren't here already it's because they have declined your invitation. However, these are my suggestions:

Joel
DaBeagle,
Altimexis,
Bi Janus,
Christopher Lydon,

--
I'm always happy to hear from folk who would like their stories here. Where they are published on what I might call a 'colleague site' I tend not to approach them except by accident, though I am happy if they approach me. Anything else feels like poaching.

I prefer to find the less well known or those who aspire to being more than Nifty. I suspect Beagle would be unlikely to suggest his work came here since he has his own excellent site. Is Joel actually Joe L or is this another gentlemen of similar name?

I have heard of, but not read, the others' material. If you consider it fits our niche of teenage gay romantic tales (I am aware we have some exceptions) then please suggest they say hello Smile

Nifty, at present, is mainly poor, often less good than that. It seems to have descended to the old ASSGM level of some 15 years ago.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 March 2015 22:57]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69246 is a reply to message #69230] Mon, 09 March 2015 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ancient_richard is currently offline  ancient_richard

Getting started

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sun, 08 March 2015 22:55
"Q"
Q. Is Joel actually Joe L or is this another gentlemen of similar name?

--Joel's stories are here:

http://www.awesomedude.com/jovincent/

though, as you say, he's already on another site so luring him here might be considered poaching, OTOH he used some of Michael Arram's characters, with Michael's permission, and Michael is here as well as on awesomedude

richard
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69248 is a reply to message #69246] Mon, 09 March 2015 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Where an author is also elsewhere, either they have been here first or someone has suggested that they approach me as well. Even then I don't take everything offered to me. I don't always take an author's entire output. I ask them to show me the work they are proudest of. I also ask them to consider polishing it before a final submission.

It's strange. At least one other site imposes conditions upon the authors it publishes, another makes money off its authors. I dislike both these practices. We are the free internet. I publish the stories that appeal to me, and give them a wide audience. I am, I suppose, a selective source of Vanity Publishing for no reward.

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69319 is a reply to message #69131] Thu, 19 March 2015 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

One author whose work I have recently enjoyed very much indeed is PonyBoy who has a wordpress site here.
https://ponyboysplace.wordpress.com/
He's Australian and writes his stories based there. Mostly High School through College - mid twenties aged characters, and  immediate family and friends.

I first discovered 'The Mardi Gras Murders'
which I really enjoyed. It is fully complete now

Then I came across 'After the Dance' on Nifty... but that is now complete on his wordpress site too There is a sequel in progress called

'A Good Place' resumes the story a number of years later in the character's lives.

There are other stories on his site too.

Paul Jamison
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69320 is a reply to message #69319] Thu, 19 March 2015 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
paulj wrote on Thu, 19 March 2015 10:57One author whose work I have recently enjoyed very much indeed is PonyBoy who has a wordpress site here.
https://ponyboysplace.wordpress.com/
He's Australian and writes his stories based there. Mostly High School through College - mid twenties aged characters, and  immediate family and friends.[/font-family]

I first discovered 'The Mardi Gras Murders'[/font-family][/font-size] which I really enjoyed. It is fully complete now

Then I came across 'After the Dance' on Nifty... but that is now complete on his wordpress site too There is a sequel in progress called

'A Good Place' resumes the story a number of years later in the character's lives.

There are other stories on his site too.[/font-family][/font-size]

Paul Jamison[/font-family][/font-size]

--
Wow! The font of Satan!

I may have read his work. Why not ask him if he would like to look at having it considered for here? Anyone may approach a good author and suggest it.

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69377 is a reply to message #69320] Sun, 29 March 2015 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

Timmy

There are two that I might suggest; the first for reasons known largely only to you and I and perhaps one or two others, I don't think that you would want the notoriety (and quite possibly the mayhem that might go with being associated with his stories) although his personal web-site appears to be have been running smoothly under crvboy's guidance, and without incident for some time now; the second, author of a least one especially worthy candidate, has had another story featured here for many years tough going though it may be for the faintest at heart and most others too, myself included, although I did finally wade through all twelve parts when you suggested that I was indeed missing something special if I hadn't.

Additionally, it would be nice if some of your earliest, and now legacy, authors were to submit recent writings for your consideration. A couple I know have since passed away; but , I believe both "e" and "Zustara Orur" have each continued their endeavour; whether they have published recently or not I have no idea.  My last contact with "e" was just after my open-heart surgery where he and I continued a longstanding discourse on baseball.

Incidentally, this is my first visit to this section of the Forum since it's creation; perhaps I'll sit and rest awhile today, look around, possibly returning now and then.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2015 18:01]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69384 is a reply to message #69377] Tue, 31 March 2015 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Starting tomorrow we welcome Westcliff Writer, who has just withdrawn all his tales from Gay Authors. He did that yesterday after a dispute with an admin there. This is coincidental, or I hope it is. We'd been talking long before he withdrew his work from there. He writes very well and isn't shy about covering hard topics. I wish I could take all his work, but I want and need to keep within niche.

How pleased I am this this site is a benign dictatorship, not a place of admins!

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69429 is a reply to message #69384] Wed, 08 April 2015 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

ComisSans is NOT the font of Satan! I love it!
I'm glad to see new authors come to IOMFATS. The fact they wised up to GA's antics is a big bonus, and bodes well for his intelligence.

raysstories.com
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69430 is a reply to message #69429] Wed, 08 April 2015 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Wed, 08 April 2015 23:18ComisSans is NOT the font of Satan! I love it![/font-family]
I'm glad to see new authors come to IOMFATS. The fact they wised up to GA's antics is a big bonus, and bodes well for his intelligence.

--
I haven't asked what happened. Any ideas?

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69466 is a reply to message #69131] Mon, 13 April 2015 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew

Toe is in the water

There are a few stories on Nifty that i remember from way back, there was two by one author Bob Charles i think his name was, the first story was called Blood, Surf and Tears that i really liked and the sequel/second part was called Washed Up and i believe he was writing a third story, and he sent me the first few chapters, but i kind of went through a bad time and lost interest in following up my interest (the 3rd story was look good too)

Both of the two stories that are on Nifty i found enjoyable though and i think although the first story has a few errors grammar and structure wise, it really was an enjoyable series.

Another story which i like atm and is still not finished is The Father Contract on Nifty, it is an interesting story and despite it going in a totally different direction than i thought from the first few chapters, it is now at chapter 21 and it is one of the few stories i look out for each week.

Both of the above are very different from each other, but i think they would be a good fit for this site and might be worth looking into Timmy
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69467 is a reply to message #69466] Mon, 13 April 2015 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I don't recall the first, but I will have a look. The second I've been following since the start. It's sweet and kind of odd, but, despite the fact that there is no sex in it ever, so is ok from the adult/youth perspective, it isn't a teenage romance either. PJ is endearing, Jack is, well, kind of not, isn't he

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69471 is a reply to message #69467] Mon, 13 April 2015 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Quote:
timmy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 06:18I don't recall the first, but I will have a look. The second I've been following since the start. It's sweet and kind of odd, but, despite the fact that there is no sex in it ever, so is ok from the adult/youth perspective, it isn't a teenage romance either. PJ is endearing, Jack is, well, kind of not, isn't he

--

Yeah i do wonder if there will be a sexual/romance in the story at some point in The Father Contract, but the story is good and it has kept me reading.

I like PJ and how his character is developing and how he is starting to see Jack in a more realistic view.

Jack himself i can't quite work out, i mean he shows the obvious signs of genuine affection for PJ (as a son) but doesn't quite ever seem to fully embrace/realize that is what PJ wants from him, although his own son's death could be the reason behind his behaviour.

As for Blood, Surf and tears and Washed Up, they stand alone on their own and you don't need to read one to get the other, but they are still linked, Washed up is my favorite of the two and it was a surprise how you think the story will go from the start, to how it all finishes.
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69472 is a reply to message #69471] Mon, 13 April 2015 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A story has to grab me in chapter 1, and usually in the first half dozen paragraphs. I have to like/identify with one of the cast. I fear I have not clicked with Blood and surf.

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69476 is a reply to message #69472] Wed, 15 April 2015 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

"timmy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 22:29"
A story has to grab me in chapter 1, and usually in the first half dozen paragraphs. I have to like/identify with one of the cast. I fear I have not clicked with Blood and surf.

--
Yeah i preffered washed up myself, so maybe give it a look, but we all have different tastes and if something doesnt catch your attention the it doesnt,

I am just a bit too easy to please and will give most stories a fair crack, most i lose interestin and give up, but every now and then you find a story that leaves you wanting moe
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69763 is a reply to message #69131] Sat, 06 June 2015 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

Sexual fantasy is the Genesis of creative thought.  

A positive thing that you can say about Nifty is that is has a non-commercial feel and it has been around for a long while, staying as an archive.   (no fluttering gifs)

We could go on about how bad most of the writing on Nifty but I'll save if for another time.

I sympathize with Timmy in that I skim many stories looking for something original,  a new kind of  artful expression, an uncommon voice.  I don't care about spelling or grammar.  I'm Looking for a diamond in the rough. 

When I find something good (which is rare) I often communicate with the writer and give encouragement.  Then I ask, them who do they like on Nifty?

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69779 is a reply to message #69763] Sun, 07 June 2015 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

I also sympathize with Timmy - there just don't seem to be a lot of really "good" stories on Nifty.  In my first conversation with Timmy back when I first met him, I actually referred to a lot of the stories on Nifty as a gay version of the concept of "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am," because the characters would suddenly rip their clothes off, boink, and then go about their merry little ways seemingly oblivious to the fact that they'd just shared a very personal and intimate moment together.

I don't mind smut in my stories - heck, that's why I go to sites like Nifty and IOMFATS in the first place; but I also was a plot with that smut.
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69781 is a reply to message #69779] Sun, 07 June 2015 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

"Mark wrote on Sun, 07 June 2015 01:19"

I don't mind smut in my stories - heck, that's why I go to sites like Nifty and IOMFATS in the first place; but I also was a plot with that smut.

--

Why Mark, you devil you. Your Freudian slip is showing! Smile
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69825 is a reply to message #69131] Fri, 26 June 2015 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

The is a story i am following on Nifty atm called The Apprentice and i think it would be a good fit for this site, the sexual stuff might be a little fast paced, but that is a minor nitpick more than anything as the story deals with a few topics that you don't normally see in these kinds of stories and i found it to be very enjoyable.

Knowing my luck this one is already on your radar, but just in case, i feel like it is worth a mention Smile
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69826 is a reply to message #69825] Fri, 26 June 2015 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Matthew wrote on Fri, 26 June 2015 01:07"
The is a story i am following on Nifty atm called The Apprentice and i think it would be a good fit for this site, the sexual stuff might be a little fast paced, but that is a minor nitpick more than anything as the story deals with a few topics that you don't normally see in these kinds of stories and i found it to be very enjoyable.

Knowing my luck this one is already on your radar, but just in case, i feel like it is worth a mention Smile

--
Very much on my radar. It will start quite soon after I get back from vacation 

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69827 is a reply to message #69131] Fri, 26 June 2015 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

I am guilty of using Nifty as a dump for first drafts.  I shouldn't do this but I am haphazard by nature.
Consequently, if you go to my prolific author's roster, you will find a clutter of good and bad along with re-writes that void the previous entries.  I'd like to go through an edit it but Nifty won't allow it.
In short , not the best place to look for my stuff.

Currently, I have started writing longer by trying to let a story evolve around a character.  Character sketches are easy but the story is much more difficult to come up with.  

It is the wankers that drive most of Nifty's content.  I feel that pressure when I write for them.
Then there is GLBT writing which is both social and political.  They pander to the straight culture.

I don't want to be captive to either movement. 

I am grateful to find this site because it is not pandering and it has genuine literary intentions which you promote.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 June 2015 10:31]

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69828 is a reply to message #69827] Fri, 26 June 2015 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
larkin wrote on Fri, 26 June 2015 11:30I am guilty of using Nifty as a dump for first drafts.  I shouldn't do this but I am haphazard by nature.
Consequently, if you go to my prolific author's roster, you will find a clutter of good and bad along with re-writes that void the previous entries.  I'd like to go through an edit it but Nifty won't allow it.
In short , not the best place to look for my stuff.

Currently, I have started writing longer by trying to let a story evolve around a character.  Character sketches are easy but the story is much more difficult to come up with.  

It is the wankers that drive most of Nifty's content.  I feel that pressure when I write for them.
Then there is GLBT writing which is both social and political.  They pander to the straight culture.

I don't want to be captive to either movement. 

I am grateful to find this site because it is not pandering and it has genuine literary intentions which you promote.

--
I'm pleased for all "my" authors to be here. Some are formulaic, some are challenging, some are learning. The sole acceptance criterion, provided the tale is in our niche, is that it paints a picture in my head that I need, or want, to see.

That means that pure friction tales are unlikely to make the cut, but tales with a plot do. Sex? That can be as hot or as mild as you like. It just has to fit the tale.

Those are my literary intentions. I'm glad they work for you.

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69833 is a reply to message #69825] Sat, 27 June 2015 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Thanks for pointing this one out. I'd taken a quick gander at it a while back but was dissuaded by the small font size - it's tough to read on my screen. But it's most definitely a good storyline. Perhaps Timmy can work some magic and make it more readable.

(And yeah. Maybe I'm just going blind. No clue what could be causing that!)
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69834 is a reply to message #69833] Sat, 27 June 2015 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
ChrisR wrote on Sat, 27 June 2015 06:27Thanks for pointing this one out. I'd taken a quick gander at it a while back but was dissuaded by the small font size - it's tough to read on my screen. But it's most definitely a good storyline. Perhaps Timmy can work some magic and make it more readable.

(And yeah. Maybe I'm just going blind. No clue what could be causing that!)

--
We always use the same house style, so legibility is never an issue. I have the start scheduled to allow the author to complete the tale before we kick it off.

Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #69835 is a reply to message #69834] Sat, 27 June 2015 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Many thanks. Looking forward to it.
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #70045 is a reply to message #69131] Wed, 29 July 2015 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kitchikeme

Getting started

hello everyone, I'm new to this site+forum, love the stories here, awesome quality, char. dev.

been reading stories all over the place and I came across this relatively new site, http://nostringsattached4you.weebly.com/.  I think 2/4 of its authors are already here, Hunter Woods and AB, but Douglas D and about-a-boy are not and have absolutely AWESEBALLS stories especially about-a-boy he's one of my all time favs!

maybe it's worth a shot shooting them an email if they'd be interested publishing with IOMFATS?
Re: Where are the other good stories?  [message #70046 is a reply to message #70045] Wed, 29 July 2015 16:56 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
kitchikeme wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 17:52hello everyone, I'm new to this site+forum, love the stories here, awesome quality, char. dev.

been reading stories all over the place and I came across this relatively new site, http://nostringsattached4you.weebly.com/.  I think 2/4 of its authors are already here, Hunter Woods and AB, but Douglas D and about-a-boy are not and have absolutely AWESEBALLS stories especially about-a-boy he's one of my all time favs!

maybe it's worth a shot shooting them an email if they'd be interested publishing with IOMFATS?

--
Perhaps you might like to suggest that to them yourself?

Previous Topic: Larkin's Largesse
Next Topic: Special story sets for seasonal things
Goto Forum: