A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I have a friend in Paris. I had two.
I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70544] Sat, 14 November 2015 14:23 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I want to share something personal with you. If appropriate the person who just told me will come here and expand.

One of the victims of yesterday's atrocities was the husband of a young gentleman whom I know though introduction, and who has a long standing invitation to come visit me in the UK. I met him on skype and like and respect him.

He is now without the love of his life, and is a long way from home. They were living a life of excitement and new places. Last night some callous swine destroyed that in the name of some cause or other.

I know other lives have been touched badly, sadly. This has reached out and touched mine

[Updated on: Sat, 14 November 2015 14:41]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70545 is a reply to message #70544] Sat, 14 November 2015 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

As has Ryan's passing touched me and my household.  Brody is extending my most heartfelt wishes to Marc as I type this.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70546 is a reply to message #70545] Sat, 14 November 2015 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

So hard to write anything that helps in a case like this. If only forum posts and emails allowed one to attach some hugs as that is patently what your friend needs at this difficult time.

Probably the best I can do...

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/hug/t4621.gif

[Updated on: Sat, 14 November 2015 17:53]

Post on behalf of Andichan  [message #70547 is a reply to message #70544] Sat, 14 November 2015 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This morning I woke and listened with horror at what had happened overnight in Paris. 

My first reaction was pure anger but that's exactly what the perpetrators of this unforgivable crime are working towards - to stir up ethnic / religious unrest in otherwise peaceful yet diverse cultures and countries.

I'm so very sad for your friend. 

Finding love and acceptance as a gay man is difficult enough but then to have it snatched away from you under such barbaric circumstances must be devastating and my heart goes out to him together with my thoughts and prayers.Timmy, I have difficulty using the forums as it takes ages for me to write just one sentence, maybe it's because I'm using Internet Explorer, so forgive me if I don't appear on there but I would be very grateful if you could pass this on on my behalf.
One last point I want to make.

In the industry I used to work in, I met and became friends with people of all faith groups, amongst them many Muslims and knowing them, their families and kids as I do, I can be absolutely certain that all of them will be as shocked and upset as we are but with one massive difference. They will also be deeply ashamed that such acts were committed in the name of Islam.

We believe in tolerance - now is the time to demonstrate it and not to go off half-cocked in search of retribution.Andy.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 November 2015 18:53]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70548 is a reply to message #70544] Sat, 14 November 2015 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Green is currently offline  Green

Getting started

May God help you find peace with your loss and move into your heart to comfort you.  We live in an evil world and I pray for peace for all.
Green
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70549 is a reply to message #70548] Sat, 14 November 2015 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

My thoughts go out to those who were affected by this act of cowardly evil.  To say that this is all very saddening to begin with would be the understatement of the year (we here in the U.S. have learned of the horrors of terrorist attacks through far too many such first-hand experiences ourselves), and it's all the more difficult when you know someone who was directly affected by it.  Timmy, please pass on our condolences to your friend.
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70550 is a reply to message #70544] Sat, 14 November 2015 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

My condolences to both you and your friend. This must be a horrible time for him, and he is fortunate to have you as a friend. I hope that you two are able to get together soon for mutual support. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70551 is a reply to message #70550] Sun, 15 November 2015 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think, really, the kind words here should be for him and the memory of his husband. I admit to having been knocked by this, but it passes. His hurt will last some considerable time. While all the things we say to those in grief are true, we, when we grieve, do not have time to hear them or understand them. Yet he needs to hear them. He will come to understand them.

I have known him for such a short while that the ferocity of my own knock took me by surprise.

I know he will be shown this thread when the friend who told me judges the time to be right. He will not, even then, be ready to hear fully what is said. In time the pain will lessen somewhat. In time the anger will have a less sharp edge. The banality of this event will not fade so easily.

Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70553 is a reply to message #70551] Sun, 15 November 2015 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricky is currently offline  Ricky

Toe is in the water

I have no words of comfort for there are none. But know that you are not alone in your grief and anger. MANY send you love and comfort. Gays are said to all be family. Know that in this we most certainly are. May his love and comfort for you remain fresh in your mind and may you find the peace and love again in this life. He loved you and would want you to go on. We all must. In doing so you will honor his love for you. Become nothing different then you were from this, a loving and caring man. Don't let the bitterness of anger change the unique person he fell in love with.

And remember that you have family here who loves and grieves with you. Even those who did not know your love.
Hugs,
John

Wisdom does not come with age. It occurs because of it.
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70565 is a reply to message #70553] Fri, 20 November 2015 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

I came across this very appropriate response on the part of the boys of the Petit Chanteurs a le Croix de Bois choir school...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-jzigzYlo
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70587 is a reply to message #70565] Mon, 30 November 2015 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

So has there been any 'point' to these attacks announced by these muslim murderers? Why did they do this? What was the purpose of the attacks? Did they think they would change something? Were there people or places targeted specifically? Or was it just random death for the sake of random death? Is it supposed to be payback for our attacks over there or something? What the hell was it all about?

raysstories.com
Re: I have a friend in Paris. I had two.  [message #70589 is a reply to message #70587] Mon, 30 November 2015 23:16 Go to previous message
Mark

Likes it here

Quote:
Smokr wrote on Sun, 29 November 2015 22:12So has there been any 'point' to these attacks announced by these muslim murderers? Why did they do this? What was the purpose of the attacks? Did they think they would change something? Were there people or places targeted specifically? Or was it just random death for the sake of random death? Is it supposed to be payback for our attacks over there or something? What the hell was it all about?

--

I heard that they were claiming it was in response to France's bombings (prior to the shootings) of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria.  I think they do think they're somehow going to change things, although why they think that slaughtering innocent civilians is going to do anything other than piss off a whole lot of people is beyond me.
Previous Topic: BBC Radio 4 - The World at One - Programme descriptor
Next Topic: Australian News Reporting at its Finest
Goto Forum: