A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?
icon5.gif Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?  [message #70958] Thu, 28 January 2016 10:27 Go to next message
DJAdams

Getting started

Does anyone know what story this is?

It was a particularly long story. It started with a boy named Abe joining the Confederate Army (I THINK he was in military school first). He worked mostly as a spy until he was captured and jailed. A young male affiliate (Son or nephew?) of the jailer ended up springing Abe free. The two decided they'd had enough of the war and fled west together, fighting off Indians along the trail and such. They ended up in San Francisco, where Abe became a U.S. Marshal and his boyfriend sought to start a symphony.

Other details include:
An old Chinese man playing a prominent role.

Abe's boyfriend, whose name I forget, was an accomplished violinist.

Samuel Clemens, better known as Mark Twain, was a personal friend of Abe's.

The boys in question were teenagers.

What was the name of this story?! If I recall correctly, this one may not have been on either Nifty or IOMFATS. I know, piece of cake, right? Anyone? Bueller?
Re: Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?  [message #70959 is a reply to message #70958] Thu, 28 January 2016 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Doesn't ring a bell for this site. Google draws a blank with the information you have so far.

It sounds like a saga Chris James might write. Maybe give him a shout?

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2016 10:34]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?  [message #70961 is a reply to message #70959] Thu, 28 January 2016 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DJAdams

Getting started

Timmy, you're brilliant. It was one of Chris's, entitled, "The Boys in Blue and Gray." Thank you!!
Re: Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?  [message #70962 is a reply to message #70961] Thu, 28 January 2016 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Quote:"
DJAdams wrote on Thu, 28 January 2016 12:09Timmy, you're brilliant. It was one of Chris's, entitled, "The Boys in Blue and Gray." Thank you!!

--
How bizarre. The Boys in Blue and Gray is on the site after all. It must have been a deep subconscious memory. I have a feeling for his plots, you see.

Chris stopped sending us stuff when the queue became too long. I wish he'd start again. 

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2016 15:09]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?  [message #70963 is a reply to message #70962] Thu, 28 January 2016 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Sounds lovely, I really really wish I could pluck up the courage and get into a pre-war historical novel but I just fear I will fail at "getting" it. It sounds like pure ignorance on my part but a story is an investment of your time and I have this irritating affliction of never giving up on a story even it is bland or uninteresting, hence I waste night after night reading the damn thing. Why? Because with all stories I always have hope there will be something better on the next page.

Yes, naivety at it's cruelest!

:) 
Re: Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?  [message #70964 is a reply to message #70963] Thu, 28 January 2016 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
WestcliffWriter wrote on Thu, 28 January 2016 20:30Sounds lovely, I really really wish I could pluck up the courage and get into a pre-war historical novel but I just fear I will fail at "getting" it. It sounds like pure ignorance on my part but a story is an investment of your time and I have this irritating affliction of never giving up on a story even it is bland or uninteresting, hence I waste night after night reading the damn thing. Why? Because with all stories I always have hope there will be something better on the next page.

Yes, naivety at it's cruelest!

Smile

--
Try one of his others. I think you will find them irresistible. You will read this one, eventually Smile

Re: Could Anyone Help with Identifying This Series?  [message #70966 is a reply to message #70964] Fri, 29 January 2016 02:11 Go to previous message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Many of the stories of Chris James are here on IOMFAtS.  

Most of the ones that are not, are at:

http://awesomedude.com/chris_james/

"Adam Conquers Earth" is here and on Nifty.  It is NOT on Awesomedude.  With that story, don't read from Nifty.  Chris James re-edited and clarified the version here, and it considerably superior to the Nifty version.
Previous Topic: Mark Behr - Author of 'Smell of Apples' and 'Embrace'
Next Topic: Unashamed Self-Publicity
Goto Forum: