A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > How many of these have you done?
How many of these have you done?  [message #71102] Tue, 16 February 2016 14:05 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

40 Things Every Gay Man Should Do Before Turning 40

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: How many of these have you done?  [message #71103 is a reply to message #71102] Tue, 16 February 2016 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I could not do these before I was 40, but here is my try at it:

1 yes, attended and marched in

3 I was a can can girl on stage when I was 12, in a canary yellow dress, seamed stockings, suspenders and frilly knickers

5 Well duhh, why would I want to? Of course I have accepted it

6 I was invited to be Best Man at one, but circumstances meant the date changed and I could not go. IT was in Vermont and one of the very first.

9 Done that. They are also in my will. And I have made an It Gets Better video

10 In a way. I go to reunions, am out and have told appropriate folk I was infatuated with them

11 Well, I have several of those

13 Hahahahhaha. Ok

15 Yes

17 If I was never afraid of them, does that count?

19 Hmm. I went to an Off Broadway musical, Naked Boys Singing. Does that count? I've also been to Phantom of the Opera

21 Yes

22 Yes, but it was heterosexual

23 Seen some

25 Yes, but heterosexual

30 See 25!

33 Kind of. One died first

34 I know mine. Negative

35 Been there, done that. Why close toed shoes?

36 More than once

37 Well, I have nothing to prove there

39 Never started

40 Have

[Updated on: Tue, 16 February 2016 14:18]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: How many of these have you done?  [message #71105 is a reply to message #71103] Wed, 17 February 2016 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

1. Yup. When I was seventeen. Hid in the crowd.

2. Nope. If I looked like the example it would be easy.

3. Yup, when I was sixteen, for a Halloween dare.

4. Nope. And likely never will. Why would I want to?

5. Yup. And wouldn't very much want to.

6. Nope. Never been invited to one.

7. Nope. Not manyopportunities to in rural life.

8. Nope. Again, not many opportunities to in rural life.

9. Yup.

10. Yup.

11. Yup.

12. Nope. Probably not going to either.

13. Can't stop, as I never have.

14. Nope.

15. Nope.

16. Never heard of most of them.

17. Not, and never have been.

18. Yup.

19. Yup.

20. Yup

21. Yup, in a way... LOL

22. Yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, nope, yup.

23. Nope, Yup, Yup, Yup, Nope, Nope, Nope, Yup, Nope, Yup - a lot, Nope, Yup.

24. Nope.

25. Yup.

26. Nope.

27. Nope, and not going to.

28. Yup.

29. Nope, and never going to. But I'll do the cheesecake part.

30. Yup.

31. Nope.

32. Nope.

33. Way too late.

34. Nope.

35. Yup. BTW, the closed-toe shoes are to protect you from the sticky floor, or, rather, from what's making the floor sticky.

36. Yup.

37. Yup.

38. Nope. And way too late now. Though, in a way, I did one year when I was eighteen.

39. Nope. Can't stop what I haven't started.

40. Nope. Though I've been outted to close family thorugh the actions of others.

Huh, done more than I thought I would have.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 February 2016 03:57]

raysstories.com
Re: How many of these have you done?  [message #71106 is a reply to message #71102] Wed, 17 February 2016 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

Done: 1, 5, 7, 9 (more often before I retired), 12 (2 of 5), 13, 17, 20, 23 (3 of 11), 33 (more or less), 34, 35 (overrated), 36 (ditto), 40 (more or less)

Since I'm closing rapidly on 69, I'm clearly not going to accomplish any more of them by 40!

But, for the record, 2, 3, 4, 11, 22, 27, 32, and 37 - not interested.
6, 8, 24, 29 - might yet happen.
10 - there were two, both a year behind me, so not going to see either at my class reunion
14 - the ranks of potential dates at least 10 years older than I am are thinning rapidly
19 - live musical, done; Broadway, not likely
24 - I may be running out of time to volunteer
38 - I haven't done the family Thanksgiving thing since I came out to my parents. The people I do Thanksgiving with (for at least 25 years now) wouldn't mind if I brought a boyfriend, should the occasion present itself; they're good friends with the lesbians who live a couple doors down the road from them.
39 - Can't stop what I never started.
Re: How many of these have you done?  [message #71108 is a reply to message #71102] Thu, 18 February 2016 04:31 Go to previous message
Mark

Likes it here

#5  Easily done, since I've never wanted to have sex with him in the first place.
#13 Been there, done that, and yes, bought the t-shirt.
#17 No need to stop what I've never started.  (I've been afraid of lesbians according to...whom, exactly?)
#33 Never had a reason to need to make peace with my parents in the first place.  (Who makes these lists?)
#34 No need to get tested, because I've never done anything that would get me infected with the HIV virus in the first place.  (Really.)
#39 Again, there's no need to stop what I've never started.
#40 Done that!

Did a couple of #23 (seen both The Wizard of Oz and Rocky Horror Picture Show).

Regrettably, I don't have the money to see a Broadway show (#19) or NFL game (#20; I find basketball and baseball to be very boring), as both, besides the ticket purchase, would require no small amount of travel from where I live.  Similarly, traveling to a foreign country (part of #30) is out as well.

I would do #32, but only if it was Landslide!  (And for what it's worth, her nickname is "Stevie," not "Steve," as the article has it.)

And finally, it wouldn't do any good for me to do #21 (go to therapy), as it's years to late for that to be of any help.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 February 2016 04:34]

Previous Topic: Just for a treat
Next Topic: Audio Books
Goto Forum: