A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > There will be more story contests
There will be more story contests  [message #71124] Mon, 22 February 2016 16:58 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am amassing a collection of inspiring pictures. I think a six week writing and submission period is enough run up, but I also do not want to get Author Fatigue. What I plan to do is to announce a new contest as the voting closes on the (then) current one. I'm not yet sure I have the voting period correct, but I think three weeks ought to be sufficient.

I'd appreciate thoughts, all of which I will take into consideration, about future contests. If we can all get it right it can be a regular feature. It does mean I have to work my balls off from time to time, but I bet you'd like to see that!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71125 is a reply to message #71124] Mon, 22 February 2016 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

I'll try and throw Castlebay to the side and get in for this one hopefully. I'll look out for the starting gun when it fires.
Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71126 is a reply to message #71125] Mon, 22 February 2016 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

On my thoughts? As much as I like to drag GA through the dirt whenever I get the chance I did happen to think their weekly prompt idea worked quite well. So the idea is you are given 3 objects and a Starting line then you have to write a story based on them.

Example:

"I cant believe you told him that!" < This will obviously be the starting line.

Tea Cup
Old car tyre
A torn up plane ticket

And there are your prompts.

Just an idea I stole, but meh, it's an idea none the less.
Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71127 is a reply to message #71126] Mon, 22 February 2016 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
WestcliffWriter wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 19:07On my thoughts? As much as I like to drag GA through the dirt whenever I get the chance I did happen to think their weekly prompt idea worked quite well. So the idea is you are given 3 objects and a Starting line then you have to write a story based on them.

Example:

Tea Cup
Old car tyre
A torn up plane ticket

--
And a good one, but I think I will not copy them Smile

I can't do the frequency, either! I think they have "staff"!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71128 is a reply to message #71127] Mon, 22 February 2016 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Quote:
timmy wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 19:33
"Quote:"
WestcliffWriter wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 19:07On my thoughts? As much as I like to drag GA through the dirt whenever I get the chance I did happen to think their weekly prompt idea worked quite well. So the idea is you are given 3 objects and a Starting line then you have to write a story based on them.

Example:

Tea Cup
Old car tyre
A torn up plane ticket

--

--

Ahh yes Staff! So many different ways I could respond to that but A) this is the wrong thread and B) Children might be reading!

Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71129 is a reply to message #71128] Mon, 22 February 2016 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
WestcliffWriter wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 19:43
timmy wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 19:33

Example:

Tea Cup
Old car tyre
A torn up plane ticket

--

--

Ahh yes Staff! So many different ways I could respond to that but A) this is the wrong thread and B) Children might be reading!

--
Well, here we are a benign dictatorship overseen by a friendly despot doing his best

Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71133 is a reply to message #71125] Tue, 23 February 2016 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
WestcliffWriter wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 19:03I'll try and throw Castlebay to the side and get in for this one hopefully. I'll look out for the starting gun when it fires.

--
"BANG!"

Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71147 is a reply to message #71124] Sat, 27 February 2016 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew

Toe is in the water

I wouldn't mind seeing some wrestling themed stories, not many good ones out there, well maybe there are and i just don't know where to look, but the ones i do find tend to be a bit crappy and without any meaningful plot
Re: There will be more story contests  [message #71148 is a reply to message #71147] Sat, 27 February 2016 11:11 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Matthew wrote on Sat, 27 February 2016 10:26"
I wouldn't mind seeing some wrestling themed stories, not many good ones out there, well maybe there are and i just don't know where to look, but the ones i do find tend to be a bit crappy and without any meaningful plot

--
That depends on whether I find a wrestling picture that is not 'just' boys wrestling. There has to be a 'thing' about it, too, something odd, unusual, eye catching. And I do not mean an erection, There's nothing odd about one of those.

Previous Topic: For Everything You Are - A new edit!
Next Topic: Interpretation by visual description
Goto Forum: