A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Gulf Between Us
The Gulf Between Us  [message #70266] Sat, 03 October 2015 13:53 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I hope you are starting to read this. The Gulf Between Us is a slow burn powerful tale of late 1960s America.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Gulf Between Us  [message #71457 is a reply to message #70266] Sun, 01 May 2016 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Brady is currently offline  Nick Brady

Getting started

I have read several of Beck's stories and found them to be quite good. I started on this one today. It shows promise but I was a little put off by the depiction of Tulsa.  As as native of Tulsa I am a little disappointed by it being described as a flat brown treeless place with only two colors. drk dirt and light dirt. I doubt that Beck has ever been in Tulsa but imagined what it was like. The western part of Oklahoma might fit that sescription but Tulsa is hilly and wooded. Not desolate at all. The descriptions of the Gulf are nice though and I know that this will be a good stories as all of Beck's are, but wanted to protest the sorry portrayal of my home town. Sorry.
Re: The Gulf Between Us  [message #71458 is a reply to message #71457] Sun, 01 May 2016 23:20 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick Brady wrote on Sun, 01 May 2016 23:42"
I have read several of Beck's stories and found them to be quite good. I started on this one today. It shows promise but I was a little put off by the depiction of Tulsa.  As as native of Tulsa I am a little disappointed by it being described as a flat brown treeless place with only two colors. drk dirt and light dirt. I doubt that Beck has ever been in Tulsa but imagined what it was like. The western part of Oklahoma might fit that sescription but Tulsa is hilly and wooded. Not desolate at all. The descriptions of the Gulf are nice though and I know that this will be a good stories as all of Beck's are, but wanted to protest the sorry portrayal of my home town. Sorry.

--
I hope you talk to Rick about that. I am sure he is amenable to making suitable amendments.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Scholarship
Next Topic: Which is harder to end?
Goto Forum: