A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A story out of niche - A Mann's World
A story out of niche - A Mann's World  [message #71828] Sat, 27 August 2016 21:11 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Sometimes it's important to step outside our niche, though I do it rarely.

A Mann's World is one such time. It assuredly is not a gay teenage romance, but it screamed at me to be published.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2016 21:11]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A story out of niche  [message #71829 is a reply to message #71828] Sun, 28 August 2016 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

Outstanding piece of writing so far. Thanks for the head's up.
Manns World  [message #71832 is a reply to message #71828] Mon, 29 August 2016 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rontexas2 is currently offline  rontexas2

Getting started

Typical start off, lots of background information.  As one familiar with the DC scene and history the writer showed an obvious error of factual history. Pres Johnson's aide was busted at YMCA rather than Lafayette Park,which was popular prior to the Dupont Circle's rise.  The leather and biker areas on the southeast was spot on but does not require much research.
icon13.gif Re: Manns World  [message #71833 is a reply to message #71832] Mon, 29 August 2016 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
rontexas2 wrote on Mon, 29 August 2016 16:07Typical start off, lots of background information.  As one familiar with the DC scene and history the writer showed an obvious error of factual history. Pres Johnson's aide was busted at YMCA rather than Lafayette Park,which was popular prior to the Dupont Circle's rise.  The leather and biker areas on the southeast was spot on but does not require much research.

--
I suppose the factual errors you have found may spoil the enjoyment for you, but I wonder whether it's the most pleasant thing to do to use the forum to blast the author?

Instead, why not email him and make suggestions. I can make corrections easily enough if he asks.

None of us is immune to making mistakes. I expect you make them too. I know I do.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A story out of niche - A Mann's World  [message #71929 is a reply to message #71828] Tue, 04 October 2016 20:37 Go to previous message
btowndude is currently offline  btowndude

Getting started

Thanks for the A Mann's World story!  I really enjoyed reading a gay mystery.  As a frequent visitor to DC during the 1980s-90s, I was able to follow Bobby's nightly travels.  It would have been interesting to read about Bobby's intro to the stripper bars or bathhouses of SE Washington prior to the new baseball stadium.  I hope to read more of Bobby and Tobias as they travel to Oklahoma and then north to the reservation. 
Previous Topic: Benjamin Conner has returned
Next Topic: The Punch and Judy Show by Jolyon Lewes
Goto Forum: