A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > POPPIES IN A FIELD.
POPPIES IN A FIELD.  [message #71836] Tue, 30 August 2016 23:35 Go to next message
Jackboy is currently offline  Jackboy

Toe is in the water

Hello
It's Jack from Nth West UK here, and I'm new here.

I thought I would start with a literary contribution. A poem that I wrote last week, about the boys who lied about their age, to get to the Western Front in 1916. Especially on the Somme. What a waste.

HopeĀ I attached the file OK
Jack.
Re: POPPIES IN A FIELD.  [message #71838 is a reply to message #71836] Wed, 31 August 2016 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It doesn't seem to download, though. I'm surprised you were able to upload a file that isn't a picture.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: POPPIES IN A FIELD.  [message #71840 is a reply to message #71838] Wed, 31 August 2016 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

I'm using Firefox (in case that matters). I opened the file by right clicking on the link and then choosing "Open in a new window", that led to a dialog box offering a text converter and that opened to a nicely laid out page, and a lovely poem.

So welcome Jack, and congratulations on a great first contribution
Re: POPPIES IN A FIELD.  [message #71842 is a reply to message #71836] Thu, 01 September 2016 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

Hi Jackboy,

I had no trouble downloading your poem as a Word document. I thought your verse poignant and thoughtful.

The young have no fear of adult realities, and no respect yet for death. Too many have volunteered through the ages in instances just like you portrayed in your poem. War is but another game, a quest for greater things. There is no thought yet for what is at stake.

The glory of war is a myth for the daring - and the naive.

Thank you for sharing.
Re: POPPIES IN A FIELD.  [message #71847 is a reply to message #71842] Fri, 02 September 2016 14:43 Go to previous message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

I've now read it too. The one word that comes to mind is 'poignant'. It's actually very good, and for me to say that about a poem is a very rare event.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori...

Soldiers fight wars, no-one wins them.

Added - the bit about soldiers is not a translation of the latin. Google Wilfred Owen.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2016 15:05]

Previous Topic: Some stories create a world
Next Topic: Rainbow Boy
Goto Forum: