A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > 50 years since...
50 years since...  [message #72003] Fri, 21 October 2016 16:02 Go to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

The Aberfan disaster. In the news today, most of us in the UK who are old enough to remember, know where we were at the time and what we were doing. I was at school, pretty much the same age as the kids who died.

The BBC report is here

And an excellent gay story about the events and more on another site (sorry Timmy) is here

Hiraeth by the way is sort of 'pride' in Welsh, but there is more to it. One of those words where a direct translation to English does not really exist.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2016 16:03]

Re: 50 years since...  [message #72005 is a reply to message #72003] Fri, 21 October 2016 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick "
The Aberfan disaster. In the news today, most of us in the UK who are old enough to remember, know where we were at the time and what we were doing. I was at school, pretty much the same age as the kids who died.

The BBC report is here

And an excellent gay story about the events and more on another site (sorry Timmy) is here

Hiraeth by the way is sort of 'pride' in Welsh, but there is more to it. One of those words where a direct translation to English does not really exist.

--
Never apologise for showing us something elsewhere. I shall make the time to read this tale. 

The word is familiar to me. I think we have a tale by this title, though not this tale, deep in the site.

The 'accident' at Aberfan was foreseeable and preventable, thus people were culpable.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: 50 years since...  [message #72006 is a reply to message #72005] Fri, 21 October 2016 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have probably been closer to the Pen-y-berth bombing target than the author. It used to be a turning mark for our sailing club, and I've damn near touched it!

There is precious little to find out about it online nowadays. One year it was simply removed. It was a big bugger.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: 50 years since...  [message #72007 is a reply to message #72003] Fri, 21 October 2016 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

Having read the introduction to the story and seeing that the author references both Mihangel and
Solsticeman, I am sure it is going to be an excellent and also moving, read.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2016 17:46]

Re: 50 years since...  [message #72008 is a reply to message #72007] Fri, 21 October 2016 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
ivor slipper wrote on Fri, 21 October 2016 18:45Having read the introduction to the story and seeing that the author references both Mihangel and

--
It is. I have just emailed Huw to thank him for writing it.

Oh lordy. Huw, I owe you an apology  [message #72017 is a reply to message #72008] Sat, 22 October 2016 22:17 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 21 October 2016 23:10
"Quote:"
ivor slipper wrote on Fri, 21 October 2016 18:45Having read the introduction to the story and seeing that the author references both Mihangel and

--
It is. I have just emailed Huw to thank him for writing it.

--
I have a puzzle, one that only Huw can unlock. I have found, deep in my emails, from 15 and 17 November 2012, this story, submitted to me for publication. Unsurprisingly, I accepted it. Then nothing happened that I can trace for four years. One of two things has happened:
  1. It fell through the cracks before I took back control of story publication 
  2. Huw rescinded permission for publication

Two years ago, when I took back control, I thought I had searched for and found 100% of the stories that had been submitted. If 1, above, is correct, I owe, and have sent to Huw, a huge and grovelling apology. I have found a lovely correspondence between us and he must be more than very disappointed in me. I have asked him by email if I may still (again?) have his permission to publish it, if he will forgive me

If 2, above, is correct then it is correct. The tale has a great home where it is published already, and nothing should detract from that.

Dammit, I KNEW this tale was familiar!

Previous Topic: schoolboys in uniform
Next Topic: Of dicks and butts
Goto Forum: