A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Kiwi... In Memoriam
 () 1 Vote
icon9.gif Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #71920] Sun, 02 October 2016 09:08 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have just, only just, received the sad news that Kiwi died on 20 May 2016, as New Zealand entered winter.

He suffered from COPD and knew his time was limited by the condition. Winters were always difficult for him, and he thought he might not survive the winter of 2015, as did his doctor.

In his life he was married to a lovely lady, and they raised six kids of their own, adopting six more, and helping countless others. His stories here show the gentle side to being a gay teenage lad, and we are the richer for reading them.

He was a remarkable man. His legacy lives on in the hearts of those whose lives he passed through. May we all pay it forward.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2016 09:10]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #71922 is a reply to message #71920] Sun, 02 October 2016 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Timmy, that is sad news indeed.  We can only hope that his passing was at least as painless as such a thing could be under the circumstances, and that he did not suffer too much at the end (while I do not have COPD myself, it is not something I'd wish on anybody).

I completely agree that he was a remarkable person, based upon what little interaction I had with him.  As Timmy noted, he (among other things) and his wife adopted several children, giving them the chance to be raised in a loving, stable environment, and I think there are few things more noble than that.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #71923 is a reply to message #71922] Sun, 02 October 2016 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

I am so sorry to hear the news about David.  It was a whimsy, but we always commended the sun to each other on the equinoxes and the solstices.  Now I realise why the the sun was so important for him, and also why I received no reply in June and September.  We read each other's stories and talked about them.  Even though it was e-mail I could hear the sounds of the children in the background.  My condolences to the family.  I hope there is someone there to help care for the children.
Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #71926 is a reply to message #71923] Mon, 03 October 2016 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

A prolific author in the past, and a good one too. Everyone should read his works and for me, I'll always think of him with this bit in the last chapter of Flight of the Toucan:

"Flight of the Toucan by Kiwi"
After the news, sport and adverts, Ivan's voice came on air. "This is West Radio, all over the Coast. The time is 7.09pm., and here is this evening's bird-song feature."

The piece of quiet bird sounds was drowned out by a parrot's screeching and, "Toucan. Toucan! Toucan!! Screech!" The collective sigh of relief was almost heard all over the town. All over several towns. But -

"Screech, screech, screech," Then Bang! A sudden explosive gunshot was followed by a squawk and a "thud", and . . .

"Enough of that. Evening all. This is Robbie Keenan on West Radio, all over the Coast." And music started.

Radio can be like that too, and it reminds me of my time on student radio. And if you've not read the tale, why not? Chapter one is here
Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #71941 is a reply to message #71920] Thu, 06 October 2016 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am in touch with his wife. I will pass on what I am able in terms of a eulogy, but I have to judge what I am able to say

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #71949 is a reply to message #71941] Sat, 08 October 2016 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

I was truly sorry to hear of David's passing. I had been an avid reader of his stories and he  was generous with his help and advice when writing my own two offerings, beta reading and especially with the 'New Zealand.. Christchurch' portions of my story 'Liam'. He assisted me with much up-to-date information and suggestions.
He will be much missed, but his work remains with us for all to read.

Paul Jamison
Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #72038 is a reply to message #71949] Tue, 25 October 2016 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dookie11 is currently offline  dookie11

Getting started

Man , I was going to tell Kiwi that I had re-read Toucan .
Guess he knows it anyway .
He was a gifted writer .

I'll read his whole posted stories .
Waaaa !!
boozel11
Some days news gives us thoughts of our friends  [message #72200 is a reply to message #71920] Fri, 25 November 2016 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Today this news item caught my eye.

I have a feeling Kiwi would have found a story inside it. You need to understand that 'Kaimoana' in his stories was Kaikoura in reality

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2016 16:55]

Re: Some days news gives us thoughts of our friends  [message #72223 is a reply to message #72200] Fri, 02 December 2016 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dookie11 is currently offline  dookie11

Getting started

Read all his stories .
Wished I'd got a chance to tell him how much I loved the people he populated the stories with .
boozel11
Re: Some days news gives us thoughts of our friends  [message #72224 is a reply to message #72200] Fri, 02 December 2016 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am in occasional touch with Kiwi's wife. I very much doubt she ever knew he was not heterosexual and the subject is unlikely to raise its head.

He is sorely missed at home, as is right. In time that will turn to a quiet love and regard. I have told her he touched more hearts worldwide than she can ever know.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2016 13:00]

Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #72829 is a reply to message #72038] Thu, 20 April 2017 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ClosetedGuy

Getting started

I first found this site about 15 years ago and Kiwi was -- and still is -- my favourite author.

I never bothered "joining" before but on returning once again, once more "down in the dumps", to re-read The Flight of the Toucan as I have done nearly every year since I found it, I was saddened to read of Kiwi's passing and felt the need to pay my respects.

Rest In Peace my "friend" -- he and I had communicated infrequently over the years about his stories -- you live on in your works but you and your talent will be sadly missed.

Another David

Re: Kiwi... In Memoriam  [message #78371 is a reply to message #71920] Sat, 30 July 2022 04:20 Go to previous message
JEREMIAH is currently offline  JEREMIAH

Getting started

I have spent the last few weeks reading all your great stories Kiwi. I am disappointed that I never had the chance to know you, but thru your stories I feel that I do know you. May your memory be for blessing for all who knew you or reads your wonderful work. Thank you so much. Shalom Alechem
(Peace unto You) Jeremiah

Jeremiah
Previous Topic: Boris Johnson
Next Topic: Who are today's young teen gay icons
Goto Forum: