A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Sad news
Sad news  [message #72108] Sat, 12 November 2016 16:59 Go to next message
AB is currently offline  AB

Getting started

I am not sure if tigerpaw or Jamie Mac (tigerpaw has a story "featuring" "Jamie" and real life Jamie had written a story called "Jamie's new adventures") have/had posted a story in here (iomfats) but some of us (may) know either of them from nifty, I am pasting below an announcement from Jamie's (adopted) father from nifty,

Announcement[/font]
Approximately fourteen years ago I began writing this story.  It was clearly
the work of an amateur, well-intentioned but amateur nonetheless.  I always
promised the young fellow it was about that some day I would do a better job
of it.  I finally completed that effort this (2016) spring, but the revised
version was given only limited release as I did it primarily as a gift to him.[/font]
For those that may remember the story and the young fellow it is about, I
regret to have to inform you all that 'Jamie' died on Sunday November 6, 2016.
He was stricken with cancer in his stomach.  The symptoms came on suddenly and
without warning, and it was over before much could be done.  To say that I and
everyone else are shattered does not even begin to touch the matter.  Any
light in the world for me has gone out.[/font]
In his honour and his memory I now release the revised/expanded version.[/font]

Can You Spare A Quarter

M
ay he rest in peace, he'll be missed.[/font]
Re: Sad news  [message #72109 is a reply to message #72108] Sat, 12 November 2016 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

By pure coincidence I am in the middle of reading that story at present

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sad news  [message #72110 is a reply to message #72109] Sat, 12 November 2016 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew

Toe is in the water

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 12 November 2016 17:55By pure coincidence I am in the middle of reading that story at present

--

Me too Timmy and i was actually going to write of post on the forum to see if it qualified for this site, because even though i am only half way through, it is such a wonderful story and reading what AB posted, it's very sad news
Re: Sad news  [message #72111 is a reply to message #72110] Sat, 12 November 2016 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Matthew wrote on Sat, 12 November 2016 22:02"

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Sat, 12 November 2016 17:55By pure coincidence I am in the middle of reading that story at present

--

Me too Timmy and i was actually going to write of post on the forum to see if it qualified for this site, because even though i am only half way through, it is such a wonderful story and reading what AB posted, it's very sad news

--
The answer, setting the sad footnote outside the discussion, is that it does qualify. It starts off appearing not to in any way, and soon proves not to go along that road. I wonder, perhaps you might suggest that the author considers it?

[Updated on: Sat, 12 November 2016 22:23]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sad news  [message #72114 is a reply to message #72111] Sun, 13 November 2016 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have just had an email conversation with Tigerpaw. He is very happy for the tale to come here. It will start in about four weeks time.

The interesting thing is that, within the hurt and pain, is a teenage gay romance. It is just secondary to the issues Tigerpaw has written about in the main thread.

Re: Sad news  [message #72115 is a reply to message #72114] Sun, 13 November 2016 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashdaw is currently offline  Ashdaw

Toe is in the water

I saw this story listed on Nifty and read the forward but, after reading it, I decided not to go any further.
I may sound like a wuss but, I just don't need the sadness and knowing this poor guy has left us would
play on my mind. There are a few people here who know my story and would understand my reason
for not reading it. Having said all that though, Tim, would you please pass along my condolences
to his "dad" and tell him I will pray for Jamie's soul.
Re: Sad news  [message #72116 is a reply to message #72115] Sun, 13 November 2016 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ashdaw wrote on Sun, 13 November 2016 14:38I saw this story listed on Nifty and read the forward but, after reading it, I decided not to go any further.
I may sound like a wuss but, I just don't need the sadness and knowing this poor guy has left us would
play on my mind. There are a few people here who know my story and would understand my reason
for not reading it. Having said all that though, Tim, would you please pass along my condolences
to his "dad" and tell him I will pray for Jamie's soul.

--
There is a certain amount of trauma in the tale. I would not recommend it for those sensitive to triggers of abuse violence. It is part of the tale and not glorified.

The author, who may be Jamie's adopted dad, has the link here. I am sure he will see it. He is, himself, in a difficult emotional place at present. Good wishes help.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 November 2016 15:24]

Re: Sad news  [message #72117 is a reply to message #72116] Sun, 13 November 2016 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ashley,

Tigerpaw has sent me a simple message for you, one of understanding, and of appreciation. He is quite certain that you ought not to read the tale. He absolutely appreciates your message.

timmy

Re: Sad news  [message #72119 is a reply to message #72108] Sun, 13 November 2016 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AB is currently offline  AB

Getting started

Well at least something good has come of this (story getting posted here), although obviously I/we'd have preferred it posted here and Jamie still alive and yeah can you spare a quarter is a very touching and beautiful story. 

This:
http://nostringsattached4you.weebly.com/jamies-new-adventure s-by-jamie-mac.html

is a story Jamie himself had started writting, it was to be a trilogy, unfortunately he had not - to my knowledge- written the other two books, so it is up to us to imagine how things would progress after book 1. 

[Updated on: Sun, 13 November 2016 23:17]

Re: Sad news  [message #72121 is a reply to message #72119] Mon, 14 November 2016 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"AB wrote on Sun, 13 November 2016 23:17"
Well at least something good has come of this (story getting posted here), although obviously I/we'd have preferred it posted here and Jamie still alive and yeah can you spare a quarter is a very touching and beautiful story. 

This:
http://nostringsattached4you.weebly.com/jamies-new-adventure s-by-jamie-mac.html

is a story Jamie himself had started writting, it was to be a trilogy, unfortunately he had not - to my knowledge- written the other two books, so it is up to us to imagine how things would progress after book 1. 

--
I am reading and enjoyng it. I know Tigerpaw has registered here. Perhaps he will consider whether we might offer it here as part of his tribute to Jamie. 

Re: Sad news  [message #72122 is a reply to message #72121] Mon, 14 November 2016 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TigerPaw is currently offline  TigerPaw

Getting started

Good morning all,

I just signed up yesterday night before going to bed and the approval came through overnight.

First off allow me to thank you all for your kind words on what has happened.  It's been a dreadful time.  I've lost my son, 'Jason' has lost his partner, and in general we're all just shattered.  That said, the notes that have been coming in, reading them, replying, everyone has been so kind ... and it's helping us to cope and find our footing again.

I see a note above by a fellow reluctant to read CYSAQ because of the abuse that happened to Jamie.  I can totally understand this, and in fact I would suggest since he had similar things happen, that he give the story a miss.  I told what happened, it was not pleasant. Jamie survived, but it was a near-thing, and it was not a fun time.  So no offence taken, some of the tale is happy, but some is most definitely not.

I see also you've spotted the story that Jamie was beginning to write.  Earlier this year he spotted a graphic image online somewhere that struck him deeply, later perhaps I can find it, I don't know if you can put images on here.  In any case, he spotted this image and it switched on something in him and he decided he wanted to try writing something.  The result was "The New Adventures".

While a fantasy-based tale, Jamie LOVED fantasy stories, it draws very strongly on the things that happened to him when he was younger.  The Kyle of the story if you haven't figured out already is 'Jason'.  I even got a tiny cameo!  (can you spot it?  I was naughty and even included a reverse tiny cameo in CYSAQ ... can you spot that?)  Anyway, it was amazing the effect writing this had on Jamie .. the more he wrote, the better he got (compare chapters 1-2 with the last couple), and the better he got the more he wrote.  And that was the least of it ... as he wrote his whole demeanour changed, the unloading if you will, it had a profound effect on him.  The lingering nightmares actually STOPPED.  He was happier, by the end of the summer he was positively glowing almost.

If you think others would like to read Book One of the NewAdv I think he would be honoured if you included it here.  Of course, there can't be more ... there's some additional bits here, but I will not sully his memory by attempting to patch something together.  For one thing I don't have his imagination, he was far the better story teller than I am.  Also he was uncertain if he wanted to release more because as he wrote the parts that might have been Book Two he found they were getting very personal and thus he was starting to think perhaps he would not release them.  In any case, Book One I'm certain he would not mind.  Your decision though, it ends on a hyper climax ... and then there'll be no resolution.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.  I'm lost, totally lost without him ... but I'm slowly regaining my footing.  It's not supposed to be the older one that lives on, and this is damned hard.

--
tgrpaw@gmail.com
Re: Sad news  [message #72124 is a reply to message #72122] Tue, 15 November 2016 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

TigerPaw,

Please accept my condolences on your loss.  No matter what one's viewpoint on death and the hereafter might be, it's never easy to lose a loved one, especially so suddenly.  (Personally, I've always hated cancer, and this is one reason among far too many as to why.)  Logically, we know that they are no longer subject to the cruel hurts and pains of the world, but emotionally...well, to say that we are saddened by this would be the understatement of the year.
Re: Sad news  [message #72125 is a reply to message #72121] Tue, 15 November 2016 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

timmy wrote on Mon, 14 November 2016 11:16
"AB wrote on Sun, 13 November 2016 23:17"

This:

--
I am reading and enjoyng it. I know Tigerpaw has registered here. Perhaps he will consider whether we might offer it here as part of his tribute to Jamie. 

--
I am starting to understand this tale. As many will, I started out reading it as an enjoyable adventure romp. And it is.

Underlying the story is a young boy recovering from a dreadful hurt, written by the man that child becomes. It is the peeling away, insofar as one can peel away, the layers of harm that was perpetrated on him. I think it will have both cost him dear while he was writing, and helped him greatly as each chapter was finished. I can see how parts two and beyond might have proved difficult to publish, even to write.

The author manages to convey excellent child-like qualities to his younger self.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2016 09:05]

Re: Sad news  [message #72126 is a reply to message #72125] Tue, 15 November 2016 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TigerPaw is currently offline  TigerPaw

Getting started

You're seeing there is much more going on in the NewAdv than meets the eye.  All through what Jamie wrote, it's about him.  Things mentioned about others, it's also him.  He spread what happened over multiple characters.  Harm, fear, trust, they all are in there.  And buried underneath vulnerability.  Why should a boy so young have to go through these things?  Such a marvellous society we have created.

And as you're also seeing, there was what happened to Jamie as he was doing the writing.  It hurt, but oh my goodness how it helped him too.  At times it was like lancing a boil, and you could see him glow with relief after a chapter had been laid down.  If only it could have gone on.  I'd have ever so happily taken his place if he could have stayed here longer.

A large number of preconditions obviously had to be in place before he started on this, but the final ingredient was an image he happened to spot one day on a website somewhere.  I don't know where he saw it, but he saved it and I'm attaching it here: the homeless boy in the alley, a ragged teddy bear, and the dragon on his shoulder protecting him.  To Jamie this struck him deep as "that's me", and the dam burst and the typing began.

-----

By the way, a technical question ... isn't "subscribing" to a topic supposed to email you if a new item is posted in it?  I believe I subscribed correctly to "Sad news" but no alerts ever show up in my mailbox after an item is posted.  Have I done something wrong, or does it not work?

[Updated on: Mon, 23 January 2017 08:36] by Moderator

--
tgrpaw@gmail.com
Re: Sad news  [message #72127 is a reply to message #72126] Tue, 15 November 2016 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We had a set of weirdness a few months ago where the forum started to send emails to people regardless of their preferences. I remember turning it off with a big hammer. I have turned it back on to see if it has gone away as a problem.

That picture as a trigger to start to shed his heavy load is remarkable.

Re: Sad news  [message #72128 is a reply to message #72126] Tue, 15 November 2016 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The picture comes from Len-Yan, here. She is a remarkable artist. I hope to hear from her in due course.

It was commissioned for a card game. That may be seen here. The description is interesting. It suggests to me that this page may be where Jamie found it.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2016 20:49]

Re: Sad news  [message #72136 is a reply to message #72128] Thu, 17 November 2016 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Two things are in plan, now.
  • Can You Spare a Quarter will be here in 12 sets. With Set one tomorrow, Friday, and at three sets a week, that means it's a small way off. That's good, because it creates a brand new audience for the abuse heaped upon Jamie
  • This is followed as it closes by Book 1, the only published book, of Jamie Mac's own writing. There will be a short description of the trigger for the work and the reasons for it, something Tigerpaw has in gestation right now. I have a version, but that may not be the final version. I have all the chapter files, and they are ready to run, but they need CYSAQ to conclude first. The story is to be published on its own merits. It meets our thresholds for quality.

I am seeking permission for the inspiration picture to be included, so far without response from either the artist or the person who commissioned the work.

Re: Sad news  [message #72141 is a reply to message #72136] Fri, 18 November 2016 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
timmy wrote on Thu, 17 November 2016 18:47Two things are in plan, now.
  • Can You Spare a Quarter will be here in 12 sets. With Set one tomorrow, Friday, and at three sets a week, that means it's a small way off. That's good, because it creates a brand new audience for the abuse heaped upon Jamie
  • This is followed as it closes by Book 1, the only published book, of Jamie Mac's own writing. There will be a short description of the trigger for the work and the reasons for it, something Tigerpaw has in gestation right now. I have a version, but that may not be the final version. I have all the chapter files, and they are ready to run, but they need CYSAQ to conclude first. The story is to be published on its own merits. It meets our thresholds for quality.

I am seeking permission for the inspiration picture to be included, so far without response from either the artist or the person who commissioned the work.

--
Well, that was able to be misunderstood. SO, let's be specific. CYSAQ is four weeks away on this site

Can You Spare A Quarter has started  [message #72254 is a reply to message #72108] Wed, 07 December 2016 23:59 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

It will roll out a chapter at a time.

I can also give you a sneak preview of the index page for Jamie Mac's tale, which will start after CYASQ concludes, in a smidgen over six weeks' time

Tigerpaw and 'Jason' worked on the wording for Jamie's page. It may change as time passes.

Previous Topic: Looking for a story.
Next Topic: 2016 Story Queue updates
Goto Forum: