A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A Royal Achievement
A Royal Achievement  [message #72419] Tue, 10 January 2017 03:01 Go to next message
Rodney is currently offline  Rodney

Getting started

This story by Solsticeman has had me anxiously awaiting each new email from IOMFATS.  Fascinating for its historical perspective, and endearing for the coming of age accounts about the young men at the center of the story, I often found myself reflecting on the story line in the weeks that it has been released. I am impressed with the historical setting, but I loved the story of love, heroism, and adventure involving the boys. I bet I'm not the only one.

Rod Morrison
Re: A Royal Achievement  [message #72425 is a reply to message #72419] Wed, 11 January 2017 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's what you used to find in things like The Boy's Own Paper, and is a true 'ripping yarn' in the best tradition of the genre.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 January 2017 18:28]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Royal Achievement  [message #72443 is a reply to message #72419] Mon, 16 January 2017 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedro

Toe is in the water

I am surprised there have not been more comments on this excellent yarn. Set in a period I don't know enough about and not often seen in any sort of fiction. Easy to read but nevertheless making some serious points along the way. 
Thank you  Solsticeman

Homework for 17thC history class: Compare and contrast the characters of David and Jeremy. To be handed it at next lesson!

Pedro
Re: A Royal Achievement  [message #72444 is a reply to message #72443] Mon, 16 January 2017 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Pedro wrote on Mon, 16 January 2017 23:28"
I am surprised there have not been more comments on this excellent yarn. Set in a period I don't know enough about and not often seen in any sort of fiction. Easy to read but nevertheless making some serious points along the way. 
Thank you  Solsticeman

Homework for 17thC history class: Compare and contrast the characters of David and Jeremy. To be handed it at next lesson!

--
I have discussed with many authors the reasons why we get few comments on here and they get few emails from here. It is not lack of readership. Instead it seems to be that the site creates an expectation of excellence. This means that stories here do not stand out as special because they are in an area of excellence. 

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Royal Achievement  [message #73311 is a reply to message #72444] Wed, 30 August 2017 11:26 Go to previous message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

I have at last found the time and the privacy to settle down to this extraordinarily absorbing tale of historical fiction and most enjoyable it has been. The very many hours of research Solsticeman has undertaken have been well worth it for the beautifully-written tale reads most convincingly and thanks to the delightful boy-heroes of the story I have learned much about the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660. With Charles II safely on the throne the action moves to the Mediterranean and really hots up, in every sense of the word. Sex education for Jeremy and David, which began in the crow's nest, continues apace both in the ship and ashore and their swordsmanship is tested when we meet some dastardly Barbary pirates. There is love and there is danger, gallantry and intense loyalty. Emotion is never far away and there are tear-jerking moments, some even involving the King. The story has a most unexpected ending but more than that I will not say.

This story is a magnificent achievement and I congratulate Solsticeman for bringing his main characters so much to life, be they the highest in the land or (almost) the lowest.

Jolyon
Previous Topic: Elf-Boy and Friends
Next Topic: The House of Storms, by Geron Kees
Goto Forum: