A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Should we continue with writing challenges?
Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72573] Fri, 17 February 2017 11:11 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are running a poll on the site home page to determine this

Writing Challenges

Should we continue with them? Please answer as an author (whether you have entered or not) or as a reader

I am a reader. Please continue with them
I am a reader. I have no opinion
I am a reader. Stop them
I am an author. Please continue with them
I am an author. I have no opinion
I am an author. Stop them

Current Results

[Updated on: Fri, 17 February 2017 11:12]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72575 is a reply to message #72573] Fri, 17 February 2017 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

I've already voted that you should continue with them. But... there is always a but, maybe it's because I'm a little stupid or just careless, don't pay attention, but I wrote a short story for the current b&w photo competition, only to realise it didn't qualify because I'd used the photo just in passing - as inspiration.

So I would say - can you be less specific about the challenge - writing about all the boys in the photo in detail is a tall order. Other challenges have just used photos or prompts as general inspiration allowing a great deal of flexibility when it comes down to what you write.

If you want to read the short story I wrote (to see the point in question about being more general), it's here:  https://williamkingweb.wordpress.com/short-stories/homosexua l/

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72576 is a reply to message #72575] Fri, 17 February 2017 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Each challenge so far has been in some way "awkward", something well worth bearing in mind.

I'm not about to disqualify your tale from entry because it missed the specifics. The readership will judge that part, you know. I like the tale. I see it as qualifying for entry despite not following the precise rules. I genuinely doubt anyone will get the full set!

This picture I hoped would stretch folk beyond a simple tale about one, maybe two kids. Possibly it is a stretch too far. 

The challenges as a whole, that is a different matter. The poll has not been suggested by the entries, large or small numbers. Instead I want to be sure that the site is current for readership and authors alike.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72582 is a reply to message #72576] Sat, 18 February 2017 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

As a reader, I love the writing challenges.  I have read every entry, to the best of my knowledge, and there were some great ones, and some good ones, and some okay ones.  

I agree with a comment (and was thinking the same) that the B&W Boys challenge has too many restrictions, in writing about every boy.  A more general challenge, of the type in "Rainbow Boy" or "May I Help You" or "Close the Lid" has more flexibility for the authors.  

If readers might suggest a challenge, how about "Fun Sequel," where a writer picks a story they wrote earlier, and is posted on IOMaAtS, and writes a short story sequel that has to have a touch (or a lot of) humor in it?  I would enjoy seeing Victor Thomas write a sequel to one of his stories, or Geron Keys writing a sequel to one of his, or Hamster writing a sequel-- The possibilities are endless.  Perhaps the rules might even allow a short story fun or humorous sequel to a novel.  I can imagine a short story sequel to Lancelot and the Big Bang," by Rick Beck, for example.

In summary, Timmy, please continue the writing challenges.
Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72583 is a reply to message #72582] Sat, 18 February 2017 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The polling, though small in numbers, confirms my gut feel that they are relevant and enjoyed.

Your premise for a future one is interesting, but doesn't that limit the entrants to existing authors? Perhaps you could flesh it our some more so it is more all embracing?

I tried a "Write chapter 2" challenge some years ago, and it was not a glorious success. That doe snot mean it would go the same way today.

Each challenge is tough. I have managed to enter some, and not others at all. I like it that my own entries don't tend to get top marks, though my ego wishes that were not so. The current challenge may be the toughest, but should I not set tough challenges? Every boy should participate, but they are not all the hero. And, as I said to William King, I am not about to fail to accept an entry if it differs. It is for the readers to rate the tale, not for me.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2017 15:59]

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72584 is a reply to message #72583] Sat, 18 February 2017 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

My suggestion for a challenge is "The Typo"

Typos whether fumble fingered or autocomplete driven can create humorous or alarming misunderstanding... like my line in a review "Cole's stories make me thin" Can authors create a romantic or disastrous situation as a result of a typo?
The Typo  [message #72587 is a reply to message #72584] Sat, 18 February 2017 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Keep reminding me about that one!

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72588 is a reply to message #72584] Sat, 18 February 2017 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackboy is currently offline  Jackboy

Toe is in the water

Oh very Goo Policeman.

Hop u licked my pint?

Sin seerly.
Yack.
Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72596 is a reply to message #72588] Tue, 21 February 2017 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Okay, Timmy, I thought of a way an author who had not yet published anything on IOMFaTS could participate in a "Fun Sequel" challenge.

Someone who has not yet been published here-- or possibly anywhere-- would have to write two chapters or two interrelated short stories, both with some or a lot of humor.  They would, of course, have to meet your standards, which are much higher than most story publication sites. 

Something to consider as a possibility?
Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72597 is a reply to message #72596] Tue, 21 February 2017 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Bisexual_Guy wrote on Tue, 21 February 2017 07:23"
Okay, Timmy, I thought of a way an author who had not yet published anything on IOMFaTS could participate in a "Fun Sequel" challenge.

Someone who has not yet been published here-- or possibly anywhere-- would have to write two chapters or two interrelated short stories, both with some or a lot of humor.  They would, of course, have to meet your standards, which are much higher than most story publication sites. 

--
I'd like to develop that theme

I don't think the writer needs to have been published anywhere. The original also doe snot need to be theirs. They can write fan fiction of they wish. What I think is that they need to refer to, from anywhere, a tale that is in our niche, and then write a sequel to it, short or long. They must give a link to the original. If they are writing a lengthy sequel we might suggest "at least the first chapter" and then as much as they wish to include in the challenge.

Does that work?

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72598 is a reply to message #72584] Tue, 21 February 2017 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
solsticeman wrote on Sat, 18 February 2017 18:46My suggestion for a challenge is "The Typo"

Typos whether fumble fingered or autocomplete driven can create humorous or alarming misunderstanding... like my line in a review "Cole's stories make me thin" Can authors create a romantic or disastrous situation as a result of a typo?

--
Ok, I like this one. Please write me the advert for it. I reserve the write(!) to edit that

Yes we should  [message #72599 is a reply to message #72573] Tue, 21 February 2017 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Small though the total is so far, and noting that I left the "no Opinion" spaces for pedants who could as easily not have answered the survey at all, all who have an opinion is that we should continue

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72600 is a reply to message #72598] Tue, 21 February 2017 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackboy is currently offline  Jackboy

Toe is in the water

Yes Timmy.

And Solsticeman. I hope you understood my little joke, by way of replying to you.
Also - I must apologise to you Solsticeman for genuinely spelling your name wrong (outside of my little joke, mentioned above).
I promise to watch out for that more closely.

I like the idea of writing sequels to the work of others, so long as it does not lose the original Spirit.
The style of course may change to reflect a different writer.

I have produced work recently - which was inspired by someone else's Photos, or Poetry. That has been a major attraction for me here...
The variety available, whether Stories (of varying length), Poetry, Photographic etc. I know some still question this outside,
but Photography, is just as much an art or 'Creative Endeavour', as any other.

Jack.

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72603 is a reply to message #72597] Wed, 22 February 2017 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Tue, 21 February 2017 11:09

--

I don't think the writer needs to have been published anywhere. The original also does not need to be theirs. They can write fan fiction of they wish. What I think is that they need to refer to, from anywhere, a tale that is in our niche, and then write a sequel to it, short or long. They must give a link to the original. If they are writing a lengthy sequel we might suggest "at least the first chapter" and then as much as they wish to include in the challenge.

Does that work?

Timmy, I like that basic idea.  

I think that your expansion on that thought might indeed work well.  There might be some minor tweaking that I haven't currently thought about, but you might think of something else to that should be added that neither of us have yet stated,

I know that whatever decision you make about the idea, we readers will end up enjoying the result.
Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72605 is a reply to message #72603] Wed, 22 February 2017 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Bisexual_Guy wrote on Wed, 22 February 2017 08:22"

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Tue, 21 February 2017 11:09

--

I don't think the writer needs to have been published anywhere. The original also does not need to be theirs. They can write fan fiction of they wish. What I think is that they need to refer to, from anywhere, a tale that is in our niche, and then write a sequel to it, short or long. They must give a link to the original. If they are writing a lengthy sequel we might suggest "at least the first chapter" and then as much as they wish to include in the challenge.

Does that work?

Timmy, I like that basic idea.  

I think that your expansion on that thought might indeed work well.  There might be some minor tweaking that I haven't currently thought about, but you might think of something else to that should be added that neither of us have yet stated,

I know that whatever decision you make about the idea, we readers will end up enjoying the result.

--
I have decided that this will be fun for the next challenge, and will set the files up shortly. I'll pre-publicise this early since I think it may take a little longer to research and write. Watch the foot of the site home page

Now, do not let me forget about the Typo one!

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72618 is a reply to message #72605] Sat, 25 February 2017 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I'm sorry you even want to ask this question. I'd hoped it would be not be something to be asked. Sorry I haven't contributed lately, but I have been working seven days a week and keeping up a recently acquired new home, and haven't had any time for any writing. You'll see I haven't even posted on my own site in months.
I've read almost all of them though, just not posted because it was on my tablet in bed and I hate typing on it. I hardly ever read sites on my computer any more, just don't have the free time. It's in bed before I fall asleep or rare occassions like tonight when have a light day tomorrow - SATURDAY. I might get Sunday off. If I do, it's outside house maintenance and oil change and tire rotation on the car to check the grinding noise from the front wheels.
I hope the stories keep coming in and this thing keeps going on.

raysstories.com
Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72630 is a reply to message #72618] Sat, 25 February 2017 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Smokr wrote on Sat, 25 February 2017 08:10"
I'm sorry you even want to ask this question. I'd hoped it would be not be something to be asked. Sorry I haven't contributed lately, but I have been working seven days a week and keeping up a recently acquired new home, and haven't had any time for any writing. You'll see I haven't even posted on my own site in months.
I've read almost all of them though, just not posted because it was on my tablet in bed and I hate typing on it. I hardly ever read sites on my computer any more, just don't have the free time. It's in bed before I fall asleep or rare occassions like tonight when have a light day tomorrow - SATURDAY. I might get Sunday off. If I do, it's outside house maintenance and oil change and tire rotation on the car to check the grinding noise from the front wheels.
I hope the stories keep coming in and this thing keeps going on.

--
I asked it because it is important to keep the site relevant. The replies indicate that the challenges are relevant to the readership and the authors alike.

We should never be afraid to question what we do. If we fail to ask questions we can perpetuate mistakes, or fail to accept input

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2017 11:29]

Re: Should we continue with writing challenges?  [message #72633 is a reply to message #72573] Sat, 25 February 2017 14:04 Go to previous message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew

Toe is in the water

I don't know if my opinion counts or not, because i have to be honest, i never write or read the challenges that we've had so far, i'm just not that kind of writer and i as for reading, i tend to not really read many stories, although i do read some

I also don't like judging other peoples work, i have emailed a few people who have written stories that i've liked and i try to give constructive criticism if i can, but i always feel a bit uncomfortable and worry they will take it the wrong way

So yeah, while i may not ever write a challenge story or read many, i think that they're a good feature of the site and i think if people enjoy writing them and even a few people read them, than they have a place on the site and should continue

As for potential ideas for the challenges or how it works, i've seen other sites have similar things and some i thought worked well is having a small list of things that had to be incorporated into the story, so for example

Red hat
Swimming
Face paint

And while the story could be anything, it has to have those three things in them, of couse it could be more than three or less and they could be anything, the more challenging challenges could have the requirements being very difficult to link together or things that you wouldn't normally associate with each other

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2017 14:09]

Previous Topic: Oral sex techniques
Next Topic: The 31 Genders of NY
Goto Forum: