A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Is Chelsea Manning a Trans Issue or a Crime Issue
Is Chelsea Manning a Trans Issue or a Crime Issue  [message #72900] Thu, 18 May 2017 07:21 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Chelsea is fine by me as Chelsea. She was in the wrong body and doubtless the wrong career. It seems she has solved both of those issues, the former well, the latter rather draconianly.

Was she right to do what she did? I don't mean morally, I mean lawfully.

Did the M2F issue confuse matters dreadfully after her sentencing, or was it, broadly, unimportant?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Is Chelsea Manning a Trans Issue or a Crime Issue  [message #72903 is a reply to message #72900] Thu, 18 May 2017 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

The fact that she released information that cast the American military and intelligence communities in an unflattering way- particularly in a manner that would be consistent with the definition of a whistleblower versus one who is leaking information for personal gain. I think also coupled with the fact that she did actually try to use channels before giving up in frustration as evidenced by the testimony and documentation that was revealed during her trial/court martial, mitigates the "traitor" argument.

Makes this a Trans issue in my opinion, and sharply illustrates some of the psychological damages experienced by the Trans community. I should add that I personally attended every session of her trial at Fort Meade and was one of the journalists who documented her horrific pre-trial abuse at the hands of the U.S. Military authorities at the brig at USMC Base Quantico, Virginia.

This is not a crime issue. Did she break the laws as put forth? Yes, but had anyone truly spent the time to completely research and document all of her case- I think the punishment would have been a lot less severe and no where as traumatic as it ended up being. 

Re: Is Chelsea Manning a Trans Issue or a Crime Issue  [message #72909 is a reply to message #72900] Sat, 20 May 2017 17:03 Go to previous message
leobell is currently offline  leobell

Getting started

I think it confused the matter to a degree, and definitely helped to reinforce the view of some that trans people are just freaks (since she broke the law). I definitely think she broke the law too, but I'm glad she did. Sometimes doing the right to expose corruption and illegal actions means breaking the letter of the law yourself.
Previous Topic: Why is sex reserved for those 'old enough'?
Next Topic: Of Preacher Men's Sons and the Trevor Project
Goto Forum: