A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Gay Labels...?
icon5.gif Gay Labels...?   [message #72865] Tue, 25 April 2017 08:41 Go to next message
Michael-Kent Dobison is currently offline  Michael-Kent Dobison

Likes it here

BEARS, OTTERS, FOXES and a Few Horney GOATS

LINK NSFW Viewing - http://www.advocate.com/photography/2017/4/22/104-photos-bea rs-otters-foxes-and-few-horny-goats-cerf-photography#slide-4 9

Ok so the article really doesn't have much to do with this post other than the fact that it stirred my curiosity regarding Gay-Lingo... (Did i get that right LoL)

I've been lucky enough as an individual to have lived the majority of my adult life so far as a Proud OUT Homosexual. However I've never really been drawn to the 'gays' ... I suppose gay culture as a whole is interesting enough, hell I am part of that culture after all, but I'd still rather have spent a weekend at the beach, or relaxing with mates or even sitting out having a braai (that last word is pronounced Br-Eye it's a South African BBQ Wink ) and having a few drinks. What I think I am trying to say is I'm just an average guy who likes guys.

All this now said I have to confess that I have never had any gay friends. Lesbian friends for sure, but no gay guys - which admittedly has left a rather large GAP in my general gay-lingo.
I often come across references in side articles, bio pieces and in other mixed mediums that leaves me scratching my head as I have no idea what they are talking about...

So what I am really trying to get at is the following - and I really do mean this quite sarcastically - is there a pocket book of gay phrases that I can pick up anywhere so I don't feel like such a troglodyte in the future Wink

"And so the lion fell in love with the Lamb"
"What a stupid Lamb"
"What a sick, masochistic lion"
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #72872 is a reply to message #72865] Thu, 27 April 2017 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

Yeah...
I know exactly what you mean - the gay language. Mostly, I just ignore the terms I don't know, which is probably half of them (example from on here - Traps). If I'm really interested I might look it up, or just ask - what are you talking about? I doubt that most people are buried deep in gay vocabulary or use it regularly. You can of course find everything on the net and Wiki is a great source: LGBT slang - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_slang

Maybe I should have said queer talk instead of the gay language 😆
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73002 is a reply to message #72865] Thu, 06 July 2017 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brother Sorrows is currently offline  Brother Sorrows

Getting started

Here hear as much GAY lingo as black hispanic latin hillbilly and other minority lingo.  There are many minorities.  Was in a fem bar / lesbian bar and walk out as cannot stand their lingo about little old me, this in 2012 downtown.  Gee.  Was only exploring.
--- There is a gay-speak dictionary of its own sort in x-rate gay book stores.  YES.  There is actually three.  Mean, adult-male-speak.  See none otherwise.  Never see lesbian speak on shelf.  Not my want nor interest.  Boy speak neither. 
--- Boy speak hear on the street ... and they hate us oldies ... without$paying ... ha ha ha.  There is a reality to any speak.  Most speak is $peak.  Or violent accumulate.  Then it is lingo on paper and ... figure o the money symbol ...
--- Ancient Phoenicians with no gold do never the less do $peak.  Back then.   All the way to what is now UK and all the way to what is now S.A. and over to what is now India.  Overlanders do get to Japan.  Overlanders ?  Through China to japan and on to it ?  Yes thry do.  $peak. 
--- Phoenicians have no fist but curiosities and trade off odds and ends,  They are kill offs.   The Aztects depend on their odd off beat Caribbean watery traders,  
--- Realize that the English Puritans have slaves and guns and cannon.   
--- It is fist, sex, or $peak.  Not $ speak historical, but something evidentiarily want / wont / cannot refuse / f-youse-do-what-we-say-or-die. 
--- Mere  using modern way to write money as $ay it.   Money is a fist and more to get whatever it is.  Phoenicians we Alleyway or people otherwise.  Fist if money does not work. 
--- Want to BE homo ?  Go have sex.  Want to be GAY ?  Get political.     
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73133 is a reply to message #72865] Sat, 05 August 2017 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Foggy is currently offline  Foggy

Getting started

Yes, in most book stores that do homosexuals books / magazines and dvd's, and. and, so on.  Read i  / listen in.  Or, go to gay bars and hear the differences.  HOMOSEXUALITY is sexual, PERIOD.  GAY is HOMOSEXUAL POLITICAL.  If you simply like being a homo and that is that, well, then, that is that.  If you want to make a politics out of it, then that is that thing.  The dialogs are different but the the sex games and the names are the same. 
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73411 is a reply to message #72865] Mon, 18 September 2017 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rado84 is currently offline  rado84

Getting started

"Michael-Kent "
However I've never really been drawn to the 'gays'

I know what you mean. I've never been drawn to that culture either, despite that I'm partially gay. All the gays I know - they like female stuff, like soap opera, gossips, dolls, beauty contests, Big Brother and so on. I on the other hand am into illegal street racing, car tuning, American muscles, V8 engines, trucks, buses, computers, computer games, sci-fi and horror movies and pretty much everything else a straight man likes (except for the soccer football - I really hate that). For this reason I have nothing in common with the gay community - not even the attraction to men. Because the average gay, probably even all of them, like masculine bearded bears, while I like gentle and feminine looking guys, just like YOHIO. So the average gay bar is the last place one can find me.

https://s20.postimg.org/x4su7z599/yohio.png
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73412 is a reply to message #73411] Mon, 18 September 2017 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

I see some other gay or bisexual guys from time at a men-only, age 21-and-up resort in the United States Midwest.   The vast majority of us could pass for straight and usually do.  (Especially those of us who live in very redneck communities, as I do.)  It is fun to be able to relax and make comments about a guy's looks without being subject to negative scrutiny.  We do a certain amount of joking around, and sometimes I have to have terms explained.  I just ask.

Sometimes one can find word and terminology meanings at    www.urbandictionary.com    but one may have to read through several definitions to get the one that fits the context of the conversation.
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73416 is a reply to message #73412] Mon, 18 September 2017 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

"Bisexual_Guy wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 20:03"
I see some other gay or bisexual guys from time at a men-only, age 21-and-up resort in the United States Midwest.   The vast majority of us could pass for straight and usually do.  (Especially those of us who live in very redneck communities, as I do.)  It is fun to be able to relax and make comments about a guy's looks without being subject to negative scrutiny.  We do a certain amount of joking around, and sometimes I have to have terms explained.  I just ask.

Sometimes one can find word and terminology meanings at    www.urbandictionary.com    but one may have to read through several definitions to get the one that fits the context of the conversation.

- It's not very good or easy to be bisexual. We always have to live a twofold life, always be careful what we say, so that we don't give us out accidentally and in my case - not being able to express my feelings towards a hot boy when I'm out there with my parents or our cousins. All of our cousins are homophobes, along with my mother.
Not to mention that in my country bisexuals are not welcome in either community - gays don't think about us as part of their community, the same goes about lesbians and neither do the straight people. It's also never easy to find a girlfriend OR a boyfriend because no one wants to date a bisexual. But I accepted my curse of being a bisexual long ago.

Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73435 is a reply to message #73416] Sat, 23 September 2017 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

I enjoy this thread so much!.  
Such wide ranging comments about sexuality, politics and even money, power and perhaps colonialism, if I followed all of it.   

Would it hurt to ask our friends what an otter is when we don't know, or what Y0HIO is Wink?   And if they are really our friends, they will gladly tell, and if they tease us about our question, then that might be their flaw, not ours.

I read with interested the post about being bisexual in Bulgaria.  The book Call Me by Your Name deals with two characters that are likely bisexual.  I do not know how the movie handles that topic but am interested to see.  We can see how the world does try to erase the idea of bisexuality, how the media points at these two characters in Call Me by Your Name as gay, never discussing the more complex nature of it, even though the book seems very clear how these two males had women, but also had each other, and the difficulty of it.

I now know that in South Africa a BBQ is called a braai, and I ponder how fun to have a braai at the beach and then wonder up to see where one of my favorite authors used to live.  South Africa was the land of Mary Renault.  She and her partner settled in Cape Town to escape the level of persecution that two women experienced in their native land.  Her books included male and female characters that were bisexual or gay, which was groundbreaking back in her day.

Andre Aciman also deals with bisexuality in his Enigma Variations as well as in Call Me by Your Name.  My impression listening to Aciman is that his father may have been bisexual and I wonder if he might be as well, although it is not necessary to know his personal situation to appreciate his books, other than how interesting there are authors that have personal experiences that are projected in some great books.  Unfortunately,  our human nature allows us to ignore the idea of bisexuality when it is right in front of us.   Such an important label that never receives its due appreciation.
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73436 is a reply to message #73435] Sat, 23 September 2017 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Mark Driver wrote on Sat, 23 September 2017 17:45"
I enjoy this thread so much!.  
Such wide ranging comments about sexuality, politics and even money, power and perhaps colonialism, if I followed all of it.   

Would it hurt to ask our friends what an otter is when we don't know, or what Y0HIO is Wink?   And if they are really our friends, they will gladly tell, and if they tease us about our question, then that might be their flaw, not ours.

I read with interested the post about being bisexual in Bulgaria.  The book Call Me by Your Name deals with two characters that are likely bisexual.  I do not know how the movie handles that topic but am interested to see.  We can see how the world does try to erase the idea of bisexuality, how the media points at these two characters in Call Me by Your Name as gay, never discussing the more complex nature of it, even though the book seems very clear how these two males had women, but also had each other, and the difficulty of it.

I now know that in South Africa a BBQ is called a braai, and I ponder how fun to have a braai at the beach and then wonder up to see where one of my favorite authors used to live.  South Africa was the land of Mary Renault.  She and her partner settled in Cape Town to escape the level of persecution that two women experienced in their native land.  Her books included male and female characters that were bisexual or gay, which was groundbreaking back in her day.

Andre Aciman also deals with bisexuality in his Enigma Variations as well as in Call Me by Your Name.  My impression listening to Aciman is that his father may have been bisexual and I wonder if he might be as well, although it is not necessary to know his personal situation to appreciate his books, other than how interesting there are authors that have personal experiences that are projected in some great books.  Unfortunately,  our human nature allows us to ignore the idea of bisexuality when it is right in front of us.   Such an important label that never receives its due appreciation.

--

I wonder what an Otter is!

Setting aside Bisexuality for a moment, is homosexuality real?

In the same way, is heterosexuality real?

Are we not just sexual creatures?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73437 is a reply to message #73436] Sat, 23 September 2017 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

...and if so, then Call Me by Your Name is a just a love story! 

I believe this is an otter.  Refers to facial and body hair.  

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/46/8c/8e/468c8ef859361f0fca5e2bb9c92ede10.jpg
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73440 is a reply to message #73436] Sat, 23 September 2017 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Here is the definition of otter, from   http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=otter

I am glad to know THIS definition.
A gay man who is very hairy all over his body, but is smaller in frame and weighs considerably less than a bear."Larry is an otter, and he likes to date bears or other otters."

A related definition from urbandictionary:
A gay skinny and hairy manI think you would really like my friend t=Tom, he's a real otter.
Re: Gay Labels...?   [message #73454 is a reply to message #73435] Wed, 27 September 2017 23:55 Go to previous message

Getting started

"Mark Driver wrote on Sat, 23 September 2017 19:45"
or what Y0HIO is Wink?

--

And I forgot to mention in my previous post we're equally threatened by "straight" fascists along with the rest of the LGBT community. So in the rare cases I go to a gay bar I have to say I'm gay, otherwise they won't let me in or if they do, there's always one gay to throw me out.
Until a few years ago being bisexual in my country was pretty much the same as being gay in Serbia which was described in this movie with a very sad end: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1784575/ . We had a similar crime in Bulgaria - a crime of hate against someone who might or might not have been gay but according to the murderers "we killed him because he looked gay". So if someone tells you there's no homophobia and no hate crimes in Bulgaria, you should know they're either pulling your leg or misleading you on purpose. Approximately 50% of the nation are homophobes and about 10% of these 50% are extreme fascists capable of murder in the blink of an eye.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 September 2017 11:12]

Previous Topic: So this is what a great president does first
Next Topic: Capitalism around the world
Goto Forum: