A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > "The Odd Onward Door," by Geron Kees
"The Odd Onward Door," by Geron Kees  [message #73226] Fri, 18 August 2017 22:22 Go to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Another big winner from Geron Kees!  Some new twists on old stuff, expressed a bit differently than I have seen before.  Geron, are you even capable of writing a poorly written short story?  I love your stories, and when I see a new one,  a short story, written by you, it goes to the top of my "must read list."  Thank you!
Re: "The Odd Onward Door," by Geron Kees  [message #73241 is a reply to message #73226] Sun, 20 August 2017 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

"Bisexual_Guy wrote on Fri, 18 August 2017 22:22"
Another big winner from Geron Kees!  Some new twists on old stuff, expressed a bit differently than I have seen before.  Geron, are you even capable of writing a poorly written short story?  I love your stories, and when I see a new one,  a short story, written by you, it goes to the top of my "must read list."  Thank you!

--
Well, I'm happy that you enjoyed the story, certainly. I don't ever want to write something that is unacceptable. There is a sort of common ground where most of us stand with our imaginations, and the key seems to be for me to stay in those areas we share. In the case of this particular tale, I grew up reading science fiction, and I decided to combine a tale with young characters still at that age of 'wonder' with the kind of tale that I enjoyed when I was that age myself. Our sense of wonder kind of sticks with us, even as we age, and it's always been interesting to me that the same stories I liked at fifteen still can touch my sense of wonder today.

I've been on a little bit of a nostalgia kick lately. Besides The Odd, Onward Door, I sent Tim another story based on the idea of the old Hardy Boys mystery stories. If you are familiar with them, and you liked them as a kid, you may like this story coming up. Of course, in my story, Frank and Joe are a little bit, um, gayer than the guys were in the originals. But the story is set in 1948, so of course I could only go so far with that idea and remain true to the basic idea of the original tales. And, this tale is along one (I tend to run on a bit, I guess...).

Thanks again for the kind words. It's always good to get feedback.

Re: "The Odd Onward Door," by Geron Kees  [message #74557 is a reply to message #73241] Sun, 15 July 2018 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dookie11 is currently offline  dookie11

Getting started

Geron , 
I wrote to you about how much I loved your stories .
I very much like your outlook of things that aren't "normal " .
Can't wait till you have the next chapter for the many readers that love you .
dookie11
dael
icon12.gif Re: "The Odd Onward Door," by Geron Kees  [message #74559 is a reply to message #74557] Mon, 16 July 2018 03:23 Go to previous message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

"dookie11 wrote on Sun, 15 July 2018 23:12"

Geron , 
I wrote to you about how much I loved your stories .
I very much like your outlook of things that aren't "normal " .
Can't wait till you have the next chapter for the many readers that love you .
dookie11
dael[/font-family]

-- 
Hi Dael! Nice to hear from you again. I appreciate the kind words, you know. I think my other post on this story explains the way I feel about it, and 'sense of wonder' tales in general. That said, I have a few more in the works you may enjoy, too. http://forum.iomfats.org/images/message_icons/icon12.gif

That includes a third installment of this series, delivered to Tim just as soon as I can get it done. 

I'm happy to be able to share this stuff with you. It's fun for me to write, and very pleasurable to know that it's fun for you to read, too. Imagination never seems to get old!

Thanks again!

Best,

Geron

[Updated on: Mon, 16 July 2018 03:24]

Previous Topic: Passing it On, by Ivor Slipper
Next Topic: sahypo 'apprentice'
Goto Forum: