A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > "I'll Find My Way Home"
"I'll Find My Way Home"  [message #73345] Sat, 02 September 2017 15:05 Go to next message
Scoobydoo is currently offline  Scoobydoo

Getting started

Hi everybody, just signed up here, having peeked at the website furtively for a while. It feels good to be here. My nickname is friendofmrcairo because I'm a huge Vangelis, and Jon and Vangelis fan. The big hit (for them at least) from the album Friends of Mr Cairo was "I'll find my way home." For those Millennials who've never heard of either Jon or Vangelis, here's a helpful link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_p5CV5plc 

For those who haven't heard this kind of sound before, those wondrous sounds are the musical skills of 'melody' and 'harmony,' ancient cultural practices that have been lost to us for, oh, at least about 15 years now... That tragic day, when record companies went AI, and decided to replace 'real' producers - the likes of Quincy and George Martin, Nile Rodgers, Steve Lillywhite et al - guys who had as much skill in physics as they had in music. The Companies decided they weren't trendy enough, they couldn't see a future for the industry with them. So they brought in DJs. DJs, ladies and gentlemen, who know what's trending, because they're the only ones wittering on incessantly about it. DJs were the future. And now our musicological fate lies in the hands of Kanye, and a load of others whose names begin with a K (very PC!). Blinged to the moon and back, but ask them what key this arrangement is in, or if they could pass you that violin... No, sorry Kanye - that's a viola, that one there is the violin.... Jeez... When is Phil Spector out of Prison..? And responsibility for the effectiveness with which Mankind might in future record it's history in song and music, as of yore, has been hurriedly handed over to some teenage 'need to get out more' programmers in Silicon Valley, who were told to create music software that did it all for you... Yep, music, lyrics,"fills in the blanks....." Well all the basic blanks. But blank talent, inspiration-blanks, blank looks out at the audience... Yeah, they're working on that, they tell me...

Was that too much for a maiden speech, Timmy...? Hard to judge the right tone here, seems to be an awful lot of old shrubbery that needs uprooting... When was the last time you had a Gardner in here? Smile
Re: "I'll Find My Way Home"  [message #73346 is a reply to message #73345] Sat, 02 September 2017 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Bless Phil Spector and his wall of sound!

Speech? Yes, absolutely! Maiden? No idea.

Ah wait, you mean maiden here!

I rather like Kraftwerk. Even better than that, I like this Kraftwerk tribute:

By the way, others have not found this yet either: the help files show folk how to embed Youtube videos

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "I'll Find My Way Home"  [message #73348 is a reply to message #73345] Sat, 02 September 2017 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pkew is currently offline  Pkew

Getting started

My (vinyl) copy of The Friends of Mr Cairo doesn't have I'll find my way home on it, that was added to the later release. Great title track, and the number of people who think that Donna Summer did the original of State of Independence.......
Re: "I'll Find My Way Home"  [message #73352 is a reply to message #73345] Sun, 03 September 2017 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

"Where are you going?"
"I'm going there. But I like it here."

Re: "I'll Find My Way Home"  [message #73353 is a reply to message #73346] Sun, 03 September 2017 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Ah well... We all have our cross to bear.... Altogether too Teutonic for me - music has to live a little!
Re: "I'll Find My Way Home"  [message #73354 is a reply to message #73348] Sun, 03 September 2017 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

I didnt know that about "I'll Find My Way Home," I had the album on a cassette at the time (the Millennials are all going "a what..?"), and got a CD a few years later. I know - that Donna Summer misinformation really pissed me off, because - rather like ABBA - the original was far better... Appropo - did you know the ABBA boys are credited on the title track? It was an extraordinarily fruitful period for Vangelis. He had Nemo Studios here in London, literally spitting distance from Marble Arch. Sadly gone now, replaced by flats. But I went down there one time, when I came down to London to go to music college. He wasn't there but the guy who had the space the floor below was. We chatted on the stairs for a while, leaning on a spare Yamaha DX7 that was leant up against the wall, still in it's box! 
Re: "I'll Find My Way Home"  [message #73357 is a reply to message #73353] Sun, 03 September 2017 16:48 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Scoobydoo wrote on Sun, 03 September 2017 11:09"
Ah well... We all have our cross to bear.... Altogether too Teutonic for me - music has to live a little!

--
I think Bill Bailey puts the human face to Kraftwerk!

But Showroom Dummies is rather fun

[Updated on: Sun, 03 September 2017 16:48]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: A couple of T topics
Next Topic: So this is what a great president does first
Goto Forum: