A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > "Hello Buoys!"
"Hello Buoys!"  [message #73572] Fri, 27 October 2017 21:05 Go to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

As a shameless piece of self promotion, I have started to write a series of vignettes where things other than just the love between the boys are more important. "Hello Buoys!" is the result.

In many ways it is experimental, an attempt to see if I can convey the excitement of a sport that is probably outside the experience of many readers while keeping it in a gay teenage romance niche. Time will tell whether I am anywhere near succeeding with that endeavour. I have an outline plan for a series of four vignettes, though I reserve the right to create more or fewer!

I wonder if you've noticed that I provide background notes to the stories I've written over the years. "Hello Buoys has a small segment devoted to it.

I'm not releasing it as a contiguous serial. It's a series, and does not require 100% continuity.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 October 2017 08:09]

Inconsistent use of capital letters is the difference between Bobby helping Uncle Jack off a horse, AND Bobby helping uncle jack off a horse!
Re: "Hello Buoys!"  [message #73576 is a reply to message #73572] Sun, 29 October 2017 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW   United Kingdom

On fire!

I enjoyed that - thanks, Tim.

It matters not a jot that I know nothing about sailing (apart from one weekend off the coast of Connemara when I was 12): your enthusiasm for it shines through, and that makes it a great read. People who are enthusiastic about their hobbies and interests are always engaging, whatever the interest is.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: "Hello Buoys!"  [message #73583 is a reply to message #73576] Wed, 01 November 2017 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

I have a further three vignettes up my sleeve being polished right now, bringing the total to four, and am thinking about a further one. The theme has limitations, though. As with any hobby they can develop in it maybe even earn a living from it. But all that does is creates a saga where their career as professional sailors could be interchangeable with one as stock brokers or janitors.

Time will tell.

As long term readers of mine will know much of my theme selection is experimental. You'll probaby notice I've moved away from impossibly beautiful nubile lads. Tom carries a bit of puppy fat. Jerry is rather more wiry than is considered to be conventionally sexy. My heroes are becoming ordinary.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 November 2017 13:38]

Inconsistent use of capital letters is the difference between Bobby helping Uncle Jack off a horse, AND Bobby helping uncle jack off a horse!
Re: "Hello Buoys!"  [message #73587 is a reply to message #73572] Fri, 03 November 2017 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick is currently offline  Rick   United Kingdom

Getting started

A great addition to the story Tim.  looking forward to how Jerry and Tom's relationship builds.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

Rick
Re: "Hello Buoys!"  [message #73588 is a reply to message #73587] Fri, 03 November 2017 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

Thanks Rick. I can see to the end of tale number four. After that it's a challenge to keep it fresh. If I can keep it both fresh and realistic then it will carry on. I think part of the trick to writing a tale with more than a single episode is knowing when the tale finishes and the cast is released into their putative real lives to tie up their own loose ends

Re: "Hello Buoys!"  [message #73634 is a reply to message #73588] Wed, 15 November 2017 17:23 Go to previous message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

I have made up my mind. There are six vignettes in this, though there is a possibility for some others if I get over-enthusiastic. The six I have in my mind have crsytalised and are being refined. I have discovered that character development can be hampered by too much activity. The boys do develop though. I rather like them Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 15 November 2017 17:24]

Previous Topic: Solsticeman - Jeff Ellis
Next Topic: Who is reading Rivers of the Dead
Goto Forum: