A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Who is reading Rivers of the Dead
Who is reading Rivers of the Dead  [message #73635] Wed, 15 November 2017 22:23 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Rivers of the Dead starts here.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 November 2017 22:43]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Who is reading Rivers of the Dead  [message #73636 is a reply to message #73635] Wed, 15 November 2017 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

I have. I nearly stopped reading after the second chapter (the suicide was almost too much to take, and all the magic hooey gave me the impression it was heading in that direction), but then it became almost a comedy. Although, a few things stretch credulity (like the mother who takes Methadone.....). I'm still wondering just how things will resolve.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Who is reading Rivers of the Dead  [message #73637 is a reply to message #73636] Thu, 16 November 2017 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Wed, 15 November 2017 23:24"
I have. I nearly stopped reading after the second chapter (the suicide was almost too much to take, and all the magic hooey gave me the impression it was heading in that direction), but then it became almost a comedy. Although, a few things stretch credulity (like the mother who takes Methadone.....). I'm still wondering just how things will resolve.

--
The stretching of credulity is fun in this one. The ending?  Ah well, I shall give nothing away.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Who is reading Rivers of the Dead  [message #73638 is a reply to message #73637] Thu, 16 November 2017 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

I had the privilege to read this book in print before it got published online - this is my review.

A tale of star crossed lovers whose fate takes our hero Caleb on a long voyage through the underworld in search of Ethan the boy for whom he never had the courage to declare his love. Both boys have shared the friendship of Liz, another outsider, whose world of magic will play an important part in their destiny.

Sometimes aided or perhaps thwarted by others, never certain that things are what they seem, nor that everyone's intention is true to what they profess. This is a struggle with the destiny of their very souls and a battle with Death.The author evokes an ethereal beauty in the descriptions of the landscapes, both real and surreal. The dialogue between the characters is clever and complex, we are at once privileged to know what our hero may be thinking, yet never quite certain that he may not be mistaken. It is a battle of wits as well as power, and we are kept guessing as we hope our hero will triumph, but will he?

I know it is a well worn phrase, but I simply could not put the book down, and I highly recommend it.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 November 2017 19:01]

Re: Who is reading Rivers of the Dead  [message #73673 is a reply to message #73635] Tue, 28 November 2017 03:40 Go to previous message
Cynus is currently offline  Cynus

Getting started

Thank you all for the comments (and the extremely thoughtful and well-worded review, William). I really hope people give this story a chance, because it's some of the work I'm proudest of. Smile

Here's a bonus comic!

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/1511792282-20171127.png

"Be or be not, there is no why." - Cynus
Previous Topic: The Frost Covered Marker by Geron Kees
Next Topic: The Navigator by Cynus
Goto Forum: