A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > An incomplete tale.
An incomplete tale.  [message #73747] Thu, 14 December 2017 15:42 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Do I publish this incomplete tale?[ 5 votes ]
1. Yes 4 / 80%
2. No 1 / 20%

This tale is excellent, or I think it is. The author has not run out of inspiration, rather he has run out of time. I don't normally publish incomplete tales on purpose, but this one has substantial merit. So I'm looking for your thoughts to guide (but not make) my decision.

I hope, if I publish it, that we will write to him to encourage him to finish it.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 December 2017 09:35]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: An incomplete tale.  [message #73748 is a reply to message #73747] Thu, 14 December 2017 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

I'm not enthused about reading incomplete tales. But, is this single or multi chapter - and if single how long?
Re: An incomplete tale.  [message #73749 is a reply to message #73748] Thu, 14 December 2017 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"ivor slipper wrote on Thu, 14 December 2017 16:45"
I'm not enthused about reading incomplete tales. But, is this single or multi chapter - and if single how long?

--
I have 13 chapters so far. More are promised, but no timescale.

We have a couple of accidentally unfirnished tales on the site in recent years, and a number of histoircal tales that never got finished from years ago

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: An incomplete tale.  [message #73750 is a reply to message #73749] Thu, 14 December 2017 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

I have read and immensely enjoyed an unfinished book, a story that will never be finished, I believe, but could never confirm the author met with an accident. With that particular book there was a finish point at about chapter 19, not the end, but at that point you felt that you had reached the end of say part one. There were another maybe six or seven chapters and of course I read them because I so liked the book. I would even recommend it unfinished. Just warn readers upfront, then It's their choice to read or not.
Re: An incomplete tale.  [message #73751 is a reply to message #73747] Thu, 14 December 2017 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecasey is currently offline  joecasey

Toe is in the water

I think you should publish it; incomplete works can be as interesting or even more interesting than finished ones.  Perhaps we could do an "exquisite corpse" kind of thing with it, each of us supplying a line or two to finish the story ...
Re: An incomplete tale.  [message #73752 is a reply to message #73747] Thu, 14 December 2017 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesse D is currently offline  Jesse D

Getting started

I agree with William King - if the reader has been advised up front that the story may never be completed, then they can make up their own mind whether or not to dive in. And if the tale has "substantial merit" then for sure, I'll read it. We can make up our own ending!  :d

Re: An incomplete tale.  [message #73755 is a reply to message #73752] Fri, 15 December 2017 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

I vote for publication.  Some of the best stories I have read are incomplete. 
Re: An incomplete tale.  [message #73761 is a reply to message #73747] Sat, 16 December 2017 09:34 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The opinions, well stated, agree with mine. It starts on Monday. I hope we might let the author know, if we like it, that we wish him to continue.

Previous Topic: 2017 Queue Status
Next Topic: "Hello Buoys!"
Goto Forum: