A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > 2018 Queue Status
2018 Queue Status  [message #73791] Sat, 30 December 2017 21:15 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Our first set of 2018 will be on 1 January, but the queue is not in a good state. Where are all the writers of great fiction?

Sets 1 - 2: 4 items. We really need five!
Sets 3 - 8: 3 items
Sets 9 - 12: 2 items
Sets 13 - 18: 1 item. And that is it!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: 2018 Queue Status  [message #73810 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 05 January 2018 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cynus is currently offline  Cynus

Getting started

Well, I've got stuff to keep posting for a while yet, but I'm also currently training an author who might have something ready in a month or two. I think it'll be something you like. If he keeps going the way he is, I doubt it'll be his last.

Hopefully there are just more writers waiting in the wings to be discovered.

"Be or be not, there is no why." - Cynus
Re: 2018 Queue Status  [message #73815 is a reply to message #73810] Fri, 05 January 2018 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Cynus wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 01:46"
Well, I've got stuff to keep posting for a while yet, but I'm also currently training an author who might have something ready in a month or two. I think it'll be something you like. If he keeps going the way he is, I doubt it'll be his last.

Hopefully there are just more writers waiting in the wings to be discovered.

--
I think sometimes inspired authorship can go through a global drought. I am looking forward to whatever you would like to follow The Navigator (send when ready) and to the work of the person you are mentoring

[Updated on: Fri, 05 January 2018 11:53]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: 2018 Queue Status  [message #73816 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 05 January 2018 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There is an upturn, a pleasant one:

Sets 1 & 2: 5 items. Good. This is healthy
Sets 3 - 5: 4 items. Also healthy. Easy space for new entries.
Sets 6 - 9: 3 items
Sets 10 - 15: 2 items
Set 16: 1 item

No entries yet for Locker.

Is Valentine's Day too schmaltzy for a special occasion story? If you send 'em, I'll run 'em

12 January 2018  [message #73874 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 12 January 2018 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have a long queue, longer now, but not a wide one. SInce the ideal was to publish five pieces three times a week I'm broadly happy with that, but the "what are we doing a week out?" question always looms!

Sets 1 & 2: 5 items
Sets 3 - 12: 4 items. This is where the first vacancy is, a week today.
Set 13: 3 items. This is ok, but look beyond here. This is where we are lacking in breadth
Sets 14 - 28: 2 items. Obviously this is because we ony run one take by an author at the same time. Some treats are in store
Set 29: 1 item

We have one entry for the Locker challenge with the possibility expressed to me of two further. There's time for that.

Re: 12 January 2018  [message #73879 is a reply to message #73874] Sat, 13 January 2018 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Fri, 12 January 2018 10:01We have a long queue, longer now, but not a wide one. SInce the ideal was to publish five pieces three times a week I'm broadly happy with that, but the "what are we doing a week out?" question always loom

We have one entry for the Locker challenge with the possibility expressed to me of two further. There's time for that.

--
I am hoping that the entries for The Locker Challenge will include stories by
Geron Kees      http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/geron-kees/
Victor Thomas    http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/victor-thomas/ 
Cynus                http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/cynus/
Jesse D              http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/jesse-d/

Or any number of the talented authors on this site.  Timmy, by chance are any of the stories for Locker you have received thus far from one of these authors just mentioned?

Timmy, I did something wrong with the link to Geron's stories.  Can you fix it? [edited to fix it. The "Source" button is your friend here - timmy]

[Updated on: Sat, 13 January 2018 17:33] by Moderator

Re: 12 January 2018  [message #73880 is a reply to message #73879] Sat, 13 January 2018 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Bisexual_Guy wrote on Sat, 13 January 2018 17:20"

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Fri, 12 January 2018 10:01We have a long queue, longer now, but not a wide one. SInce the ideal was to publish five pieces three times a week I'm broadly happy with that, but the "what are we doing a week out?" question always loom

--
I am hoping that the entries for The Locker Challenge will include stories by
Geron Kees      http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/geron-kees/
Victor Thomas    http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/victor-thomas/ 
Cynus                http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/cynus/
Jesse D              http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/jesse-d/

Or any number of the talented authors on this site.  Timmy, by chance are any of the stories for Locker you have received thus far from one of these authors just mentioned?

Timmy, I did something wrong with the link to Geron's stories.  Can you fix it? [edited to fix it. The "Source" button is your friend here - timmy]

--
Not any of those so far. Instead it is from an author new to us. I like authors new to us, too.

The best way to handle links is to use the link button, top right of the edit window, left hand end of the right hand batch of buttons. Select the text you want the link to be from and then click it, and add the place you want it to go

[Updated on: Sat, 13 January 2018 17:36]

19 January 2018  [message #73901 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 19 January 2018 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have a 'full' queue for the next two slots. Next vacancy is Friday

Sets 3 - 9: 4 items
Set 10: 3 items
Sets 11 - 25: 2 items
Set 26: 1 item

The queue can be expanded widthways, too, if we are blessed, suddenly, with an abundance of riches.

We have a second entry for the Locker challenge. That's good. It closes on 2 February. I've been asked what devilment I'm planning next. THe answer is... Coming. Or maybe it's behind you, as in a good old Briotish pantomime!

26 January 2018  [message #73951 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 26 January 2018 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

2018 has not started with a bang. We are not bumping alomg the sea bed, we are sailing in clear water, but it is a lagoon of shallows, not the open ocean.

Sets 1 - 6: 4 items. New material can start at once. Obviously I need some small production time
Set 7: 3 items
Sets 8 - 22: 2 items
Set 23: 1 item

Valentines Day seems not to be happening, story-wise, unless you happen to be writing one

"Locker" now has three entries, all very different, each of which has amazed and pleased me

2 February 2018  [message #73982 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 02 February 2018 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Things are going well, mostly, but the queue is very narrow:

First, the Locker Challenge: Seven entries so far, and a few hours to go.

Then Valentine's Day: Three stories so far

And now the queue:

Sets 1 - 3: 4 items. I have a couple of promises of serials, but it's still too narrow
Set 4: 3 items. Narrower still
Sets 5 - 19: 2 items
Set 20: 1 item

Ok, the good thing is that new items can go into publication instantly right now. A few years ago we had a 15 week queue! The poor thing is that I am often wondering where our next new tale is coming from. Then I get a lovely surprise. I like lovely surprises. Surprise me a lot more!!!! 

Re: 2018 Queue Status  [message #73984 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 02 February 2018 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

If it helps, I still have quite a few novels to post that'll keep coming in. And I'm finally back to writing regularly (I hit a major dry spell last year), so hopefully I'll be able to keep up once I run out of the backlog.

Re: 2018 Queue Status  [message #73985 is a reply to message #73984] Fri, 02 February 2018 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Cynus wrote on Fri, 02 February 2018 19:49"
If it helps, I still have quite a few novels to post that'll keep coming in. And I'm finally back to writing regularly (I hit a major dry spell last year), so hopefully I'll be able to keep up once I run out of the backlog.

--
It certainly helps. Obviously the way I structure the publishing sets your work happens sequentially unless we have a writing challenge or a tale for special occasions.

9 February 2018  [message #74032 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 09 February 2018 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The queue is long, but not very wide:

Set 1: 3 items
Sets 2 - 16: 2 items
Set 1: 1 item

Working on the Mr Micawber principle, somehting will turn up. I'm expecting a prince along shortly, but he may be distracted with his Valentine's love

Speaking of which, we have now six Valentine's stories, one is a two parter.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 February 2018 09:23]

16 February 2018  [message #74067 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 16 February 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have a very long and very narrow queue!

Sets 1 - 14: 2 items
Sets 15 - 40: 1 item

That's the narrowest it has been since before Adam and Steve were created by an all knowing and all powerful god!

25 February 2018  [message #74097 is a reply to message #73791] Sun, 25 February 2018 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Still not very wide. Still very pleasingly long:

Set 1: 4 items
Sets 2 - 4: 3 items
Sets 5 - 11: 2 items
Sets 12 - 37: 1 item

The next challenge, Fine Young Animals, is open for submissions. I have no idea where you will all go with this one!!

2 March 2018  [message #74112 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 02 March 2018 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have just been promised a 20 part serial in the next few days. It will start as soon as it arrives. I'm looking forward to that. Meanwhile this is where we are:

Sets 2 - 8: 2 items
Sets 9 - 34: 1 item

9 March 2018  [message #74134 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 09 March 2018 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We continue the trend of relatively few stories:

Sets 1 - 5: 3 items. This really needs to be five!!
Sets 6 - 17: 2 items
Sets 18 - 31: 1 item

Re: 9 March 2018  [message #74136 is a reply to message #74134] Fri, 09 March 2018 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

I'm currently editing for a friend whom I think would be a good fit here. I intend to send him over once we've gone through the edits.

Re: 9 March 2018  [message #74145 is a reply to message #74134] Sat, 10 March 2018 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Brady is currently offline  Nick Brady

Getting started

Hey, Timmy. I'm trying to do my part with "Goats and Bugs".

Would it help generate interest to give a brief blurb about each story as well as simply listing the title? But I guess that your problem isn't a shortage of readers but a shortage of authors. I generally post first to Nifty because I get more comments from that venue, then send it to you. I like IOMFATS because it exposes my stories to a different set of readers. You have more readers in the UK, and Europe, and I love to hear from them.We authors covet reader comments.

Don't be discouraged. There's an ebb and flow to these things. Quality stories encourage more good stories. Keep up the good work and they will come.

Nick

[Updated on: Sat, 10 March 2018 18:56]

Re: 9 March 2018  [message #74146 is a reply to message #74145] Sat, 10 March 2018 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick Brady wrote on Sat, 10 March 2018 18:50"
Hey, Timmy. I'm trying to do my part with "Goats and Bugs".

Would it help generate interest to give a brief blurb about each story as well as simply listing the title? But I guess that your problem isn't a shortage of readers but a shortage of authors. I generally post first to Nifty because I get more comments from that venue, then send it to you. I like IOMFATS because it exposes my stories to a different set of readers. You have more readers in the UK, and Europe, and I love to hear from them.We authors covet reader comments.

Don't be discouraged. There's an ebb and flow to these things. Quality stories encourage more good stories. Keep up the good work and they will come.

Nick

--

I love it that you like the site. I do my best to attract excellence of stories. That doesn't always mean great "literature" but it means a story that is worth telling and reading, one that paints a worthy picture in my head. Of course it has to be readable, too!

A weird side effect is that our audience is not effusive in praising authors. I think they expect excellence, and so only write when something is outstanding.

I am adding a sort of foreword when an author sends me something that seems worth including. It does mean a fair bit of extra work, so it is "as time permits" rather than a matter of course. I won't do each chapter, that would be far too much work! As an example, I took your chapter one's G&B blurb and added it to your index page. You are welcome to send me other blurbs and also to ask for edits to the current one.

Yes, it's good writing I am short of. 

[Updated on: Sat, 10 March 2018 20:08]

16 March 2018  [message #74168 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 16 March 2018 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have a slight departure from our niche starting on Monday which will run for 32 instalments. Sometimes quality trumps niche.

Sets 1 & 2: 4 items
Sets 3 - 14: 3 items
Sets 14 - 28: 2 items
Sets 29-32: 1 item

No entries yet for the current challenge, but it is early for them so far

24 March 2018  [message #74194 is a reply to message #73791] Sat, 24 March 2018 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Things, as they say, are looking up!

Please do not ask what things or what they are looking up.

Sets 1 - 5: 5 items. This is optimal for the number of items per set, though I can raise to seven if I need to
Sets 6 - 11: 3 items. It's a sharper drop off than I'd hoped
Sets 12 - 25: 2 items
Sets 26 - 29: 1 item

No entries yet for the next challenge, but they do all come in a rush

6 April 2018  [message #74261 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 06 April 2018 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

First, an early warning. I am travelling 15 May to 7 June, and there is a very strong pribability that I will be unable to manage the site during that period. Time will tell.

Now, the queue:

We have had a great interlude of feast, but we return to a paucity:

Sets 1 - 5: 3 items
Sets 6 - 19: 2 items
Sets 20 - 23: 1 item

The current writing challenge has no entries received so far, though two are promised.

13 April 2018  [message #74281 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 13 April 2018 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Still only one entry for the next writing challenge. We will see what we get

Set 1: 6 items
Set 2: 5 items
Sets 3 - 4: 4 items
Sets 5 -16: 3 items
Sets 17 - 20: 2 items
Sets 21 - 34: 1 item

20 April 2018  [message #74297 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 20 April 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I alwasy work on the Mr Micawber principle. Soemthing will turn up!

Set 1: 5 items
Sets 2 - 17: 3 items
Sets 18 - 25: 2 items
Sets 26 - 31 1 item

Now please remember there will be a pause 15 May thru 7 June when I am travelling. I might have web access or I might not, so I am planning not to and we may be pleasantly surprised.

27 April 2018  [message #74328 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 27 April 2018 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, I knew 'something would turn up!"  And it did

I expect something will turn up again!

Sets 1 - 3: 4 items
Sets 4 - 14: 3 items
Sets 15 - 22: 2 items
Sets 23 - 28: 1 item

I know of two serials in the pipeline that are not yet in the queue. I also know there are more chapters of Unbeaten and The Move coming sporadically. And I have one short story I am holding off for special reasons with the author's permission. There are also two unusual single chapter pieces coming from Andrew Foote once he and I have worked out how to treat them.

Re: 27 April 2018  [message #74331 is a reply to message #74328] Fri, 27 April 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"timmy wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 11:05"

There are also two unusual single chapter pieces coming from Andrew Foote once he and I have worked out how to treat them.

--
We worked it out. Those are online already, and we are starting a thread here.

4 May 2018  [message #74350 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 04 May 2018 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Set 2: 5 items
Sets 3 - 11: 4 items
Sets 12 - 19: 3 items
Sets 20 - 25: 2 items
Sets 26 - 30: 1 item

15 June 2018  [message #74462 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 15 June 2018 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I thought I ought to let you all know where we stand:

Sets 1 - 5: 5 items
Sets 4 - 9: 4 items
Sets 10 - 11: 3 items
Sets 12 - 17: 2 items
Sets 18 - 22: 1 item

The Waiting challenge now has 7 entries

20 June 2018  [message #74473 is a reply to message #73791] Wed, 20 June 2018 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Friday, tomorrow, we start the "Waiting" challenge tales, of whcih there are nine currently. This replaces our normal publishing set. Set 1 will be on Monday now:

Sets 2 - 7: 5 items
Sets 8 & 9: 4 items
Sets 10 - 12: 3 items
Sets 13 - 15: 2 items
Sets 16 - 20: 1 item

Looking good.

Re: 20 June 2018  [message #74474 is a reply to message #74473] Wed, 20 June 2018 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"timmy wrote on Wed, 20 June 2018 14:19"
Friday, tomorrow, we start the "Waiting" challenge tales, of whcih there are nine currently. This replaces our normal publishing set. Set 1 will be on Monday now:

Sets 2 - 7: 5 items
Sets 8 & 9: 4 items
Sets 10 - 12: 3 items
Sets 13 - 15: 2 items
Sets 16 - 20: 1 item

Looking good.

--
Of course Friday is the day after tomorrow!

"Have I had my tea?"

It's 1 July 2018! Where are we?  [message #74512 is a reply to message #73791] Sun, 01 July 2018 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

With Set 1 going out on the 2nd of July, this is where we are:

Sets 1 - 4: 5 items. This means that the queue has zero length, new things can run at once, or 2 new things can!
Sets 5 & 6: 4 items
Sets 7 - 9: 3 items
Sets 10 - 12: 2 items
Sets 13 - 17: 1 item

16 July 2018  [message #74560 is a reply to message #73791] Mon, 16 July 2018 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have fewer tales than is optimal:

Sets 1 & 2: 4 items
Sets 3 - 5: 3 items
Sets 6 - 10: 2 items
Sets 11 - 21: 1 item

We have one entry already for Empty Shoes

23 July 2018  [message #74585 is a reply to message #73791] Mon, 23 July 2018 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are rather thin on the ground

Sets 1 & 2: 3 items
Sets 3 - 7: 2 items
Sets 8 - 18: 1 item

We have one Empty Shoes entry already

12 August 2018  [message #74686 is a reply to message #73791] Sun, 12 August 2018 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are not doing badly for the queue:

Set 3: 4 items
Sets 4 - 13: 3 items
Sets 14 - 16: 2 items
Sets 17 - 32: 1 item

Two entries for Empty Shoes

7 September 2018  [message #74832 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 07 September 2018 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I like five story sets.

Sets 3 - 5: 4 items
Sets 6 - 13: 3 items
Sets 14 & 15: 2 items
Sets 16 - 21: 1 item

14 September 2018  [message #74864 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 14 September 2018 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are still doing ok:

Sets 3 - 10: 4 items
Sets 11 & 12: 3 items
Sets 13 - 18: 1 item

Re: 14 September 2018  [message #75015 is a reply to message #74864] Mon, 22 October 2018 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Timmy, it seems the number of stories on any given day has been fluctuating lately.  How about an update on the queue? 

Are there any new series from authors already on the site on the horizon, or possible new authors eventually for the site?
22 October 2018  [message #75016 is a reply to message #75015] Mon, 22 October 2018 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Sorry, I have been remiss. Set 1 is for Wedneasday:

Set 1: 4 items
Sets 2 & 3: 3 items
Sets 4 - 8: 2 items
Sets 9 - 28: 1 item

The What? Challenge (and also Halloween at present) the same 3 items

Then, of course, there is Thanksgiving!

We are light on tales. The internet seems to be light on good authors, too. That is one of the reaosns for the Masterclass, to help folk start to write good stories.

26 October 2018  [message #75027 is a reply to message #73791] Fri, 26 October 2018 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The queue is very light on tales.

Sets 2 - 6: 2 items
Sets 7 - 26: 1 item

The What? challenge has 3 entries, and there is one separate Halloween tale. I'm talking to another author about his work, but no guarantees.

Previous Topic: It's Time for Christmas Wishes, Charlie Boone by Geron Kees
Next Topic: "Locker" Writing Challenge
Goto Forum: