A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Stories on N***y
Stories on N***y  [message #74105] Wed, 28 February 2018 22:32 Go to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Yeah, I know most of the stories there are gawd-awful, frequently written by the functionally illiterate, but every once in a while there is one with merit (and not too caught up in the author's peccadillos). The most recent promising story I found was "Goats and Bugs". Yeah, the title is terrible (and has nothing to really do with the story after about chapter 5..), and it certainly could use some editing to clear up plot dead-ends and non-sequiters, but overall, it's quite a nice story, and it has no real offensive raunchy bits, either.

Anybody else have a story over there that seems promising?

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74106 is a reply to message #74105] Wed, 28 February 2018 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The author is a good friend to the site here. He has promised to send me the tale once he has the end in sight.

Nifty is a very odd place with 'rules' on what is and is not acceptable that seem to be mutable, but there are, amongst the ordure, some excellent tales there. And sometimes they make it here. Other times they are here first.

We've been going almost as long as Nifty, by the way. 

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74107 is a reply to message #74105] Wed, 28 February 2018 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Wed, 28 February 2018 22:32"

Anybody else have a story over there that seems promising?

--
Do, please, invite any author of excellence who writes in our niche, to offer their work here

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74108 is a reply to message #74107] Thu, 01 March 2018 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe.mx is currently offline  Joe.mx

Toe is in the water

Hunter Ozzy have a great work, >open hearts< but there is nothing recent from him, i send him an email a couple of weeks ago, no reply yet wich is rare from him , time ago i invite him to come to this site , i think he is friend of DK Daniels , i hope he is ok

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2018 05:05]

Be strong , so that nobody can defeat you ,
Be noble , so that nobody can humiliate you,
Be yourself , so that nobody can forgets you.
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74116 is a reply to message #74106] Sat, 03 March 2018 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"timmy wrote on Wed, 28 February 2018 23:03"
The author is a good friend to the site here. He has promised to send me the tale once he has the end in sight.

--
Goats and Bugs starts here on Monday. The files arrived today

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74132 is a reply to message #74105] Fri, 09 March 2018 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Brady is currently offline  Nick Brady

Getting started

I agree that most of the stories on Nifty are pretty bad. On the other hand, Nifty is a good place for the first time author because they will publish almost anything. When I first discovered Nifty, I was convinced that I could do better. I started to write my own stories and was encouraged by comments from readers, so I wrote more stories. Most of these have also been published here on IOMFATS with "Goats and Bugs" the most recent. I appreciate the left-handed compliment from American_Alex, and hope you will enjoy it. Dookie11 has kindly started a thread about it on the forum. Please share your comments and questions there. 

Thank you, Nick Brady
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74142 is a reply to message #74132] Sat, 10 March 2018 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Well, Nick, I'm sure no literary editor would go with a title like "Goats and Bugs". I'll bet the title alone has kept many people from reading it. Having first come across it at Nifty, I almost didn't want to open it, assuming that beastiality was involved. You know the kind of story I'm referring to; the story starts out promising, then it goes off the rails into some strange fetish. Nifty is often the cesspool of erotic literature, some stories being so awful you feel a need to cleanse yourself after reading them.

I also get the feeling that many Nifty writers are posting chapters as they write them. I've tried doing this in the past, but found that this method leads to dead-ends, since you can't go back to edit things. This probably explains the number of abandoned stories you find at Nifty.

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74144 is a reply to message #74142] Sat, 10 March 2018 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Brady is currently offline  Nick Brady

Getting started

"Goats and Bugs" refers to their 4-H projects of course. I was looking for a title that would catch the reader's eye. I never imagined that it might suggest bestiality. Sex with goats is a possibility I suppose, but Bugs? I had several readers who said they started reading because the title intrigued them. Depends on the reader, I suppose.  The response was very positive so I was satisfied with what I wrote. Since you used it as an example of one of the better stories to be found on Nifty I am grateful to you.

"Goats and Bugs" is gay fiction but contains much less sex than most Nifty stories. I see the erotic scenes as useful to give insight into the characters and to advance the plot. Sex for the sake of sex impedes the flow of the story. There are plenty of jerk-off stories on Nifty, but I would like to think that mine are good stories about characters who happen to be gay.

Since I can't afford a literary editor I have to stumble along as best I can. Would you like to volunteer?

Thanks, Nick
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74148 is a reply to message #74144] Sun, 11 March 2018 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Ah, yes, Nifty...

It can indeed be a good place to start as an author. I think more than a few of us got started there, myself included. I know it helped me develop as a writer, both in initially being able to more clearly portray what I wanted to write, as well as being able to learn from reader feedback.  It also helped me with the idea that it's a good idea to write out the entire story before posting.  With my first two multi-chapter stories, I wrote and posted as ideas came to me, but then it left me wishing I'd had the opportunity to go back and change things in earlier chapters.  With "An Apprentice's Adventures," I wrote out the entire thing first, and was glad I did.  (Although I also understand the difficulty with coming up with story names - I wrote out "An Apprentice's Adventures" without any formal title, and then thought, "OK, now what the heck do I call this thing?!")

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of us only learned about IOMFATS through Nifty in some way, shape or form (*raises hand*). Of course, I do also agree with the idea that it seems like a lot of the stuff there is nothing more than the personal idea of masturbation material of a lot of the people who post there. (As a side note, I do get a smile - in a good way! - about writing out Nifty as "N***y" - kind of makes me think of the Harry Potter franchise's main villain, Voldemort, who was often referred to as "He who shall not be named" because people were so afraid of him that they didn't want to even utter his name, even when they thought he was dead. With the often atrocious writing that tends to be found on Nifty, thinking of it as "The site that shall not be named" almost seems appropriate at times, somehow.)

[Updated on: Sun, 11 March 2018 03:44]

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74235 is a reply to message #74105] Sun, 01 April 2018 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jujubee

Getting started

I have seen a few well written stories on that site. While it's true that some of them appear to have been typed on an I-phone in a pedi-cab on a bumpy road, there are more than a few are worth reading. I find it's easier to to enjoy if you don't expect perfect grammar and spelling. Others have mentioned that several of the better authors were rescued from that site and went on to meet the challenge of a more demanding audience.
There was one story posted in late August titled "Fourteen and Ronnie" after reading it the title made sense. All I can say was that it appealed to me. I had no idea what it meant to be a gay teen in the late sixties in Southern California.
After contacting the author, he told me he wrote it at the urging of his own teenage son who is gay. He also wrote that he had received several rather creepy emails. I suppose that is one of the hazards of writing in this genre.
All that being said I liked the story and recommend it to others.
You did ask.
Jujubee
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74238 is a reply to message #74235] Mon, 02 April 2018 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Jujubee wrote on Mon, 02 April 2018 00:24"
I have seen a few well written stories on that site. While it's true that some of them appear to have been typed on an I-phone in a pedi-cab on a bumpy road, there are more than a few are worth reading. I find it's easier to to enjoy if you don't expect perfect grammar and spelling. Others have mentioned that several of the better authors were rescued from that site and went on to meet the challenge of a more demanding audience.
There was one story posted in late August titled "Fourteen and Ronnie" after reading it the title made sense. All I can say was that it appealed to me. I had no idea what it meant to be a gay teen in the late sixties in Southern California.
After contacting the author, he told me he wrote it at the urging of his own teenage son who is gay. He also wrote that he had received several rather creepy emails. I suppose that is one of the hazards of writing in this genre.
You did ask.
Jujubee

--
I would be interested in seeing the story you mention. I will seek it out

We are indebted to Nifty. The archive is a major source of decent authors here.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 April 2018 21:36]

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74240 is a reply to message #74235] Mon, 02 April 2018 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Quote:
Jujubee wrote on Sun, 01 April 2018 17:24I have seen a few well written stories on that site. While it's true that some of them appear to have been typed on an I-phone in a pedi-cab on a bumpy road, there are more than a few are worth reading. I find it's easier to to enjoy if you don't expect perfect grammar and spelling. Others have mentioned that several of the better authors were rescued from that site and went on to meet the challenge of a more demanding audience.
You did ask.
Jujubee

--

Yes, Nifty does have some good stories there (and I do apologize profusely if I ever implied otherwise, for that was certainly never my intent), and if you have enough patience you can indeed find them there, as Timmy can certainly attest.

I can also empathize with the author you contacted.  I've gotten a few weird/creepy e-mails from some of my Nifty stories as well.  One was actually a series of e-mails from someone who started telling me some of his own sexual escapades, including one time where he shagged his wife after having read one of my stories, and admitted to actually having fantasized about it being me he was doing, and how he was sure I would have enjoyed it.  Another was from someone who had read some of my stories and told me that if I was ever headed in his direction to let him know so that he could "thank (me) personally."  Almost enough to scare me off of posting anything on Nifty altogether.
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74246 is a reply to message #74105] Tue, 03 April 2018 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Happened to me again today. I was reading a promising story; reasonably well-written, nice characters, then they took a hard turn into diaper fetishism.....

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74247 is a reply to message #74246] Wed, 04 April 2018 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Wed, 04 April 2018 00:13"
Happened to me again today. I was reading a promising story; reasonably well-written, nice characters, then they took a hard turn into diaper fetishism.....

--
That happens often. The writer tends to use the same font, so you soon get to know the poop and pee is on its way and give up in advance.

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74441 is a reply to message #74105] Fri, 08 June 2018 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian John Copeland is currently offline  Ian John Copeland

Toe is in the water

I have been a very intermittent visitor as I have been travelling.  Whilst en route (on a long ferry trip).  I did delve into n***y to see if anything had changed.  The short answer (as I am sure many would confirm) is that it is the same as it ever was.  I sometimes wonder whether in fact the output there is produced by a very small number of people as the stories tend towards self parody, with numerous n***y wankathons having these plot devices:
  • All the protagonists are incredibly wealthy and have large luxury dwellings etc;
  • They all look like surf gods;
  • They have large penises (8 inches and more);
  • Everyone calls everone else a 'dude', nothing gets me out of a story faster than the word 'dude';
  • The love interest falls over themselves to get involved; and
  • They are capable of sexual olympics in terms of speed and endurance.

There are probably a host of other clichés that the typical n***y tale conforms to.

However, ever so often, a good story can be found, but you do really have to dig.

Ian

[Updated on: Fri, 08 June 2018 12:45]

Visit my Blog: http://thepaintheagony.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74444 is a reply to message #74441] Fri, 08 June 2018 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Ian John Copeland wrote on Fri, 08 June 2018 13:44"
I have been a very intermittent visitor as I have been travelling.  Whilst en route (on a long ferry trip).  I did delve into n***y to see if anything had changed.  The short answer (as I am sure many would confirm) is that it is the same as it ever was.  I sometimes wonder whether in fact the output there is produced by a very small number of people as the stories tend towards self parody, with numerous n***y wankathons having these plot devices:
  • All the protagonists are incredibly wealthy and have large luxury dwellings etc;
  • They all look like surf gods;
  • They have large penises (8 inches and more);
  • Everyone calls everone else a 'dude', nothing gets me out of a story faster than the word 'dude';
  • The love interest falls over themselves to get involved; and
  • They are capable of sexual olympics in terms of speed and endurance.

There are probably a host of other clichés that the typical n***y tale conforms to.

However, ever so often, a good story can be found, but you do really have to dig.

Ian

--

And yet amongst the huge chaff mountain there is wheat, and amongst the wheat there are stories in our niche. I plough the Nifty furrow often and have found some very pleasing writers for the site that way.

If you find good quality wheat there that is in our niche please ask them to submit that tale to me

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74451 is a reply to message #74444] Sun, 10 June 2018 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merkin is currently offline  Merkin

Getting started

Case in point is Mark Winters' very wonderful (but unfinished} "On the Verge of Something True" in Nifty's gay high school section for 7 June.  It is truly fine writing, especially the dialogue, and once started cannot be put down, so allow yourself some time to savor it.

James Merkin

Re: Stories on N***y  [message #74452 is a reply to message #74451] Sun, 10 June 2018 18:06 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Merkin wrote on Sun, 10 June 2018 13:43"
Case in point is Mark Winters' very wonderful (but unfinished} "On the Verge of Something True" in Nifty's gay high school section for 7 June.  It is truly fine writing, especially the dialogue, and once started cannot be put down, so allow yourself some time to savor it.

James Merkin[/font-size]

--
Mark suggests that it is finished. I have already invited him to bring the tale here. I agree it was unputdownable. He is deciding whether to bring it to us.

Previous Topic: Fine Young Animals - Straw Poll
Next Topic: 'Waiting' is the next challenge
Goto Forum: