A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Once in a Lifetime
Once in a Lifetime  [message #74125] Wed, 07 March 2018 11:18 Go to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

On checking earlier with Tim I was disappointed to learn that the chapter of this serial by About a Boy that appeared on Monday, was the last.

It was a pleasure to read such a well written story about Zach and Eric's holiday that turned into a slow voyage of discovery - both of self and each other - as their relationship began to change from that of lifelong childhood best friends to, perhaps, something else.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone else, so go and read it for yourself. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Ivor.
Re: Once in a Lifetime  [message #74126 is a reply to message #74125] Wed, 07 March 2018 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm linking to Once In A Lifetime, and to About a Boy

I'm hoping he has enjoyed his first exposure here and will send us some more tales. Obviously he does not always write inside our niche. Perhaps you all might encourage him?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Once in a Lifetime  [message #74692 is a reply to message #74126] Mon, 13 August 2018 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe4fun is currently offline  Joe4fun

Getting started

I sent a thank you email to the author about the story "once in a lifetime"
It brought back some very happy memories of natural exploration at that age.
I will encourage him to write more, in the meantime can I share my comments here?
Re: Once in a Lifetime  [message #74693 is a reply to message #74692] Mon, 13 August 2018 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Joe4fun wrote on Mon, 13 August 2018 15:55"
I sent a thank you email to the author about the story "once in a lifetime"
It brought back some very happy memories of natural exploration at that age.
I will encourage him to write more, in the meantime can I share my comments here?

--
The answer is that you may share your comments with pleasure, recognising that we strive to encourage authors. Even a potentially negative comment may be phrased in a positive manner. An example:
  • "You use too many adverbs!" (if the author does so) provides a factual statement but is unhelpful.
  • "If you limit your use of adverbs and use instead language that shows us rather than tells us then I think you will gain more loyal readers." provides a factual statement with not just a problem but a solution as well

Adverbs, unless in dialogue, are a literary no-no, whatever we were taught in school, so I am using them as a very general example of what might be said. They are valid grammar, but a prose passage (rather than dialogue) is almost always better without them.

Those wanting to discuss adverbs per se please start a new thread

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Once in a Lifetime  [message #74697 is a reply to message #74693] Mon, 13 August 2018 17:19 Go to previous message
Joe4fun is currently offline  Joe4fun

Getting started

my comments are not based on the literary quality of the story,
more a recollection of something similar that happened to me.
Previous Topic: what a difference a day makes
Next Topic: First year
Goto Forum: