A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > When Shadows Pass
When Shadows Pass  [message #74818] Fri, 31 August 2018 08:47 Go to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

There are sufficient chapters of When Shadows Pass online now to start to see where it might be headed. I see it as a story of the redemption of a badly abused boy. There is a great deal of angst and also compassion here. Sean English has done a remarkable jpb of writing in a setting alien to him. He's chosen a difficult path to write about a UK location with very specific attributes and he also does pretty well with the local linguistic vernacular; sometimes disbelief must be suspended, but that is ok.

Inconsistent use of capital letters is the difference between Bobby helping Uncle Jack off a horse, AND Bobby helping uncle jack off a horse!
Re: When Shadows Pass  [message #74868 is a reply to message #74818] Fri, 14 September 2018 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex   United States

Getting started

You know, I was really enjoying it, until it started to delve into incest and voyeurism. I wish that authors would let us know that it's a fetish story before we get invested in reading it. Invariably, when an author starts writing about his own personal fetish, that turns off about 95% of the people reading it, myself included. Perhaps you need a "fetish section"? That way people can avoid these stories.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 September 2018 23:15]

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: When Shadows Pass  [message #74871 is a reply to message #74868] Sat, 15 September 2018 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

Incest is an interesting concept when one cannot procreate. What purpose does a prohibition against close relatives who are homosexual have in our lives?

[Updated on: Sat, 15 September 2018 07:07]

Inconsistent use of capital letters is the difference between Bobby helping Uncle Jack off a horse, AND Bobby helping uncle jack off a horse!
Re: When Shadows Pass  [message #74879 is a reply to message #74868] Sat, 15 September 2018 15:52 Go to previous message
William King is currently offline  William King   France

Toe is in the water

There are criticisms that may be made about When Shadows Pass, but labelling it a "fetish" story is definitely not one of them. Neither is the story any sort of personal fetish of the author. Look up the definition of fetish. You may decide you don't like the story, fair enough, but the criticism you make, I find not valid, and adding that 95% of readers would follow your thinking is off target. The story is extremely popular, published on a number of sites, and having received what might be deemed critical acclaim. I myself do find there are valid points of criticism, but fetish, how?
Previous Topic: 2018 Queue Status
Next Topic: A Writing Masterclass
Goto Forum: