A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Bombardiers by Rick Beck
The Bombardiers by Rick Beck  [message #75166] Thu, 15 November 2018 22:19 Go to next message
Tookblupill is currently offline  Tookblupill

Getting started

Just finish the quick read on Rick Beck's great story concerning roller derby competition.  The premise of the story goes back some 60+ years when I used to watch local television for a favorite pastime of roller derby competition, men teams as well as ladies, would dress in ridiculous outfits and compete by trying to block one another and sneak pass a small group of the opposing team. Beck has taken this simple concept to a new level of rhyme and storytelling. Not unlike Edgar Allan Poe's alliteration, the cadence that Beck uses to rhyme words within sentences or at end of sentences makes the read so much more enjoyable for the storyline. He has the ability to paint a colorful scene as the main character progresses through misery to ultimately find his great reward so justified. If you have a moment, give it a quick read and let me know what you think of the style and storyline. I think you'll enjoy it.
Re: The Bombardiers by Rick Beck  [message #75167 is a reply to message #75166] Thu, 15 November 2018 22:50 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The Bombardiers has a rhythm all of its own. It's a hoot, a riot, and yet serious at the same time.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Better without the sex?
Next Topic: Words Americans do not use
Goto Forum: