A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Best Christmas by Victor Thomas
icon12.gif The Best Christmas by Victor Thomas  [message #75308] Thu, 20 December 2018 09:01 Go to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

A fictional real life drama is rather like a hanging footbridge, it holds the reader suspended between fiction and reality. How well it achieves this purpose depends on how well it is anchored, maintained, and keeps a balance. It is not a tightrope, but varies in breadth, something which is defined by the author, by the recognition of their wishes and fantasies. 

The theme of this story is not new, neither are the scenarios explored. It is, however, well written and a nice tale of good triumphing over evil. I wonder if writers realise how much of themselves they give to readers when their stories expose wishes, dreams, and fantasies? It is all too easy to criticise a story for swaying away from reality and falling into the unbelievable. But hopes and wishes are the dreams that Christmas is made of, and this is a Christmas story.

You cannot fail to like the boys, their tentative embarkation on the journey of life, their struggles and triumphs, their failures and reconciliation. "Aaron's brow furrowed and he asked in a shaky tone, "are you saying what I think you're saying?" My smile never wavered. "If you're thinking I want to take things to the next level, then yes." In a certain sense it is an illusion, things might be different from the way that things really are, but like glass bricks that give the illusion of light and space in a room, this story gives a warm feeling wrapped in the spirit of the season. A spirit one can only wish triumphs and lasts all year through.

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/victor-thomas/shorts/th e-best-christmas.html
Re: The Best Christmas by Victor Thomas  [message #75314 is a reply to message #75308] Fri, 21 December 2018 08:13 Go to previous message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

This is one of the best, and possibly THE best, story Victor Thomas has posted here.  I like how Victor has used the same locale for most of his stories, and how nearly all of them take place within Labette County, Kansas.  This story focuses on Nebraska as well, and is pretty believable.  

I enjoyed Grandpa's attitude totally.  I also liked that they story becomes a direct sequel to "Waiting for My Boyfriend" almost midway into the story.  (For the full list of Victor's stories, and the links, check at:
http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/victor-thomas/  and you can read more of his work.  My personal favorites, in addition to this one and "Boyfriend," are "Leaving Home," "Independence Day," and "Trevor and Lucas: Summer Vacation."

I don't wish to give away this story in too much detail, in case some reading these comments have not read the story.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 December 2018 17:10]

Previous Topic: Christmas 2018
Next Topic: A Rotten Christmas by Jolyon Lewes
Goto Forum: