A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > "Locker" Writing Challenge
"Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73697] Sun, 03 December 2017 16:25 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This one looks to be really good fun. Look at the picture for a long time before you put fingers to keyboard. There's an obvious "Stuff the dweeb into the locker" dynamic going on. Or is there?

You have to look at the challenge home page to see what I mean.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73700 is a reply to message #73697] Sun, 03 December 2017 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

I can't help but be reminded of "Fearless" by Cynus.
Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73701 is a reply to message #73700] Sun, 03 December 2017 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Mark wrote on Sun, 03 December 2017 16:57"
I can't help but be reminded of "Fearless" by Cynus.

--
If it also reminds Cynus of Fearless, he is welcome to enter the tale. We accept exisiting tales as entries. Perhaps you might suggest it to him Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73715 is a reply to message #73701] Mon, 04 December 2017 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

I dunno.....he's giving an obscene gesture.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73718 is a reply to message #73715] Mon, 04 December 2017 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Mon, 04 December 2017 22:55"
I dunno.....he's giving an obscene gesture.

--
Perhaps he is. What do you not know?

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73987 is a reply to message #73697] Sat, 03 February 2018 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cynus is currently offline  Cynus

Getting started

I just finished "A Word Between" by D. K. Daniels . . .

I highly recommend taking the advice on the soundtrack. It does fit perfectly. I made a YouTube playlist with just it on it, and listened to it on repeat as I read. I was floored by this story, and I'm currently an emotional wreck. I related to it on more levels than I can count, and I think I'm going to go write a letter . . .

Thank you to the Author.

"Be or be not, there is no why." - Cynus
Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73988 is a reply to message #73987] Sat, 03 February 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Cynus wrote on Sat, 03 February 2018 06:30"

I highly recommend taking the advice on the soundtrack. It does fit perfectly. I made a YouTube playlist with just it on it, and listened to it on repeat as I read. I was floored by this story, and I'm currently an emotional wreck. I related to it on more levels than I can count, and I think I'm going to go write a letter . . .

Thank you to the Author.

--
D K Daniels has created a gritty and real tale. We know how it ends. Or do we?

Sometimes one stands in front of a gem, a pearl beyond price. And yet there are other good stories here, six of them. D K's tale does not dwarf them, yet it stands alone, too. Each is different, each conjures up a picture from the picture...

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73990 is a reply to message #73988] Sat, 03 February 2018 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 03 February 2018 05:46
D K Daniels has created a gritty and real tale. We know how it ends. Or do we?

Sometimes one stands in front of a gem, a pearl beyond price. And yet there are other good stories here, six of them. D K's tale does not dwarf them, yet it stands alone, too. Each is different, each conjures up a picture from the picture...

--I agree with checking out the other stories. I haven't yet, but I fully intend to and will give my thoughts out here once I've finished. It's been a long time since I've been active in giving out feedback, and it's time I got back to it. Smile

And it does not interfere with other stories!  [message #73991 is a reply to message #73697] Sat, 03 February 2018 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I just took this snapshot of pages visited on the site in the reality Google Analytics calls "now"

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=4144&private=0

Isn't it good that people are reading other tales as well? I think folk have absolutely no idea of the longevity of stories on a web site such as this. Once here they either leave at once or are hooked!

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73993 is a reply to message #73697] Sat, 03 February 2018 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

"The Challenge That is Tony" was a fun, light-hearted story. I enjoyed the dialogue and thought the character interactions were great. Pulled me into the story and made me see them as real people. The parents were my favorite, and reminded me of some people I know.

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73995 is a reply to message #73697] Sun, 04 February 2018 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

"Mousetrap" by Geron Kees has my favorite use of the picture so far. Wonderful story.

A tour through a high school and a tour through a high schooler's psyche... I loved every delicious minute of it, and was caught in the trap. Well done!

Bring these boys back, will ya?

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #73996 is a reply to message #73697] Sun, 04 February 2018 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Just finished "The Kid Who Wasn't There" by James Pavian. It kept me smiling, and I want more. I think this story deserves to be made into a novel, and hope the author will decide to expand on the beginning he's started here. Hopefully we'll find out what happens next. Smile

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #74010 is a reply to message #73697] Mon, 05 February 2018 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

With reading the "The Best and worst day of my life" by Victor, I've now read all the stories in the challenge (except for rereading my own, heh). I related to the main character, and know how awful it can be to grow up in an environment which threatens your life and well-being for being who you are. Good use of research.

Everyone did a fine job.

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #74031 is a reply to message #73697] Fri, 09 February 2018 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

And of course we mustn't forget the two amazing stories that are "Musketqueers" and "Fearless," both by Cynus.  Both have relatable characters in believable situations, and are stories I found enjoyable to read (and plus, "Fearless" does have the advantage of having a sequel already published here in the form of "Weightless," so if you'd vote on the "If there were further stories about this I'd read them" option for "Fearless" you're in luck!).
Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #74058 is a reply to message #74031] Sun, 11 February 2018 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

"Mark wrote on Fri, 09 February 2018 00:33"
And of course we mustn't forget the two amazing stories that are "Musketqueers" and "Fearless," both by Cynus.  Both have relatable characters in believable situations, and are stories I found enjoyable to read (and plus, "Fearless" does have the advantage of having a sequel already published here in the form of "Weightless," so if you'd vote on the "If there were further stories about this I'd read them" option for "Fearless" you're in luck!).

--Thanks, Mark!

Re: "Locker" Writing Challenge  [message #75357 is a reply to message #73987] Mon, 31 December 2018 18:23 Go to previous message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"Cynus wrote on Sat, 03 February 2018 06:30"

Thank you to the Author.

--
I read this powerful story last night and it had me in tears. I didn't play the soundtrack though. Maybe I'll read it again today with the music. I hope I have enough tissues handy!
Previous Topic: 2018 Queue Status
Next Topic: Recovery Challenge
Goto Forum: