A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Lottery of Ears and Necks, by It's Only Me Across the Sea
The Lottery of Ears and Necks, by It's Only Me Across the Sea  [message #75396] Mon, 14 January 2019 08:31 Go to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

"The Lottery of Ears and Necks" is not only a good story, but it is written with sensitivity and depth of thought.  A difficult subject is tackled carefully, without being preachy of heavily judgmental.  It can be read here      
http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/iomfats/shorts/the-lott ery-of-ears-and-necks.html

and I might suggest allowing two to five minutes extra to think about sections of the story, if necessary.  I have only seen, at most, four authors handle this topic or others in somewhart the same, very serious vein, somewhat well.  This story is done very well by the author, and I appreciate it.

It is well worth reading.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 January 2019 08:35]

Re: The Lottery of Ears and Necks, by It's Only Me Across the Sea  [message #75399 is a reply to message #75396] Tue, 15 January 2019 13:43 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I appreciate those thoughts very much, thank you.

There is a background for the story, which I need to attempt without spoilers. A 65 year old friend was, in his teens, in such a relationship with his scoutmaster, and was grateful for it. Except in the eyes of the law he was not a victim and it was not abuse. While we have to trust his judgement on that it also is open to question.

I have tried to present that dilemma in the tale and think, from your comments, that I may have got much of it right.  Thank you.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Evan Carlton
Next Topic: Please help me rediscover a story
Goto Forum: