A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Not Gay
Not Gay  [message #75670] Thu, 04 April 2019 20:11 Go to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

I love the very last sentence in this story: "I'm not gay, but I love the fact that I have a boyfriend". That was totally me when I was in my mid-teens to early 20's. Lol
Re: Not Gay  [message #75671 is a reply to message #75670] Thu, 04 April 2019 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Sam the Ham is editing some more of his stories for us to follow Not Gay. He has difficulty reading, so uses dictation software. His previous beta reader was not as accurate as he or I woudl wish.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 April 2019 21:29]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Not Gay  [message #75672 is a reply to message #75671] Thu, 04 April 2019 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 20:44"
Sam the Ham is editing some more of his stories for us to follow Not Gay. He has difficulty reading, so uses dictation software. His previous beta reader was not as accurate as he or I woudl wish.

--
Timmy, is your reply directed at my specific post or just a general comment on the story? Although I did notice some misspelllings and grammatical errors, my post was legit. I honestly thought I was not gay even though I often had sex with a close male friend. Just took a while to realize the real deal.
Re: Not Gay  [message #75673 is a reply to message #75672] Thu, 04 April 2019 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"luvtwinks wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 22:47"

"timmy wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 20:44"

--
Timmy, is your reply directed at my specific post or just a general comment on the story? Although I did notice some misspelllings and grammatical errors, my post was legit. I honestly thought I was not gay even though I often had sex with a close male friend. Just took a while to realize the real deal.

--
I must be tired, because I can't see how I have upet you. i'm sorry that I have, for it was unintentional.

I was trying to say that there is more from this author, Sam the Ham, and that it will be a little while because he is editing it, but needs the help of a new beta reader to make sure its right. The one who read the yet to be published work previously allowed unuaul words (cause by dictation software) to skip through unquestioned.

As for not being gay, I was also not gay from 1965 to 1998 when I realised I had deluded myself and was in serious denial. I had not had your good fortune to have sex with a male friend though.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Not Gay  [message #75674 is a reply to message #75673] Fri, 05 April 2019 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

This was a great story on a subject I'd like to see more stories and/or discussion about. I identify as homosexual but in actuality I'm probably pansexual. I've a friend who identifies as asexual. He finds it a very difficult place to be. I feel so deeply for him and others like him who have trouble reconciling this particular manifestation of their sexuality or lack thereof. He has trouble with intimate relationships.

In the end, I appreciated this story a great deal due to my acquainence with my friend. I look forward to reading other tales from Sam the Ham.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Not Gay  [message #75675 is a reply to message #75673] Fri, 05 April 2019 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 23:06"

I must be tired, because I can't see how I have upet you. i'm sorry that I have, for it was unintentional.

--
Not you. That was entirely me being overly tired and extra bitchy yesterday. I'm in a much more pleasant mood today. My better mood has been boosted by seeing that you have posted new chapters of "A Storm Named Zach" and "Zeke". Those are my current favorites. :)
Re: Not Gay  [message #75676 is a reply to message #75675] Sat, 06 April 2019 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

I'm a bit conflicted about this story. On the one hand, it does a good job of showing the hypocrisy of men who claim to be "not gay" while going "down low" on any chance they can. On the other hand, it reinforces the sterotype that being gay is something negative, and to be avoided at all costs. I'm still not certain whether the character is either in denail, or just bisexual, but by denying his homosexual side, he is doing a disservice to anybody who IS gay.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Not Gay  [message #75677 is a reply to message #75676] Sat, 06 April 2019 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Composer is currently offline  The Composer

Toe is in the water

I regret to say I found the story somewhat underwhelming.
Re: Not Gay  [message #75678 is a reply to message #75676] Sat, 06 April 2019 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"American_Alex wrote on Sat, 06 April 2019 06:14"
I'm still not certain whether the character is either in denail, or just bisexual, but by denying his homosexual side, he is doing a disservice to anybody who IS gay.

--Well, the protagonist in the story does mention he believes he's asexual, which would account for his ambivalent attitude regarding sexual imtimacy. Asexual people do exist. They're not in denial or somehow faking it for some nefarious purpose. I'd tend to take a person at their word when they attempt to define their own sexuality rather than try to superimpose my own experiences on them. But that's me.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Not Gay  [message #75680 is a reply to message #75677] Sun, 07 April 2019 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"The Composer wrote on Sat, 06 April 2019 19:30"
I regret to say I found the story somewhat underwhelming.

--
That's ok, you know

Re: Not Gay  [message #75681 is a reply to message #75680] Sun, 07 April 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Really, about 95% of the time the term "asexual" is used by a man who is deeply in denial.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Not Gay  [message #75682 is a reply to message #75681] Sun, 07 April 2019 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 14:49"
Really, about 95% of the time the term "asexual" is used by a man who is deeply in denial.

--
The thing is, while you may be correct so may he.

Re: Not Gay  [message #75683 is a reply to message #75682] Sun, 07 April 2019 22:31 Go to previous message

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 11:40"

"American_Alex wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 14:49"

--
The thing is, while you may be correct so may he.

--Precicely. One has to wonder about this driving need to define someone else's sexuality for them that seems so prevalent among the gay community. It's like our reaction to the heterosexual world attempting to define our sexuality as something other than homosexual, maybe just same sex attracted, or maybe a sinner who just needs reprogramming, is to turn around and attempt to define someone else's sexuality for them. It's a trully baffling phenomenon. :nod:

Previous Topic: Looking for reading suggestions
Next Topic: Gay fiction written by women
Goto Forum: