A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > We've got our own troubles...
We've got our own troubles...  [message #75776] Wed, 22 May 2019 20:38 Go to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

I don't want to start a political fight here but since we've got our own stupid ass issues here in the US we hear very little about what's going on over there in the UK with Brexit. Are any of you who live there up on what's happening with that or are you as confounded about your stuff as we are about ours? 

Again, I don't want to start a fight here but I've heard so little lately so just wondering...

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75777 is a reply to message #75776] Wed, 22 May 2019 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ah, Brexit.

Well, we have white supremacist Little Englanders stirred up by Farage who appears to be in cahoots with Bannon. They fooled "Sex with a Pig" Cameron into a referendum (not binding, just an opinion poll) on leaving the EU. Cameron held this to avoid splitting the increasingly fascist Conservative party, and never expected to lose. He lost.

Fat Pig Johnson lied on the leave campaign. Mad Marxist Corbyn pretended to want to remain but wants to leave. And Putin has stirred it all up via Bannon (0.9 probability)

Cameron ran away, and hatchet face May came to the Iron Throne intent on killing all other rivals. She thinks she's Thatcher, but really isn't half the man Margaret was

May (government - a majority in parliament which can do what it likes) was slapped by Parliament which told her she cannot. Parliament rejected the same deal thrice, and now May is bringing it back for a fourth time.

Except she keeps losing cabinet members, MPs, and lost her mind years ago.

Tomorrow we have elections to the EU parliament, which the Farage Balloon is intent on hijacking with a one policy party, Leave the EU. The voting is the D'Hondt weird proportional representation system which means Farage will win unless the country is intelligent (fat chance) and votes for the Liberal Democrats regardless of other allegiances.

We may or may not leave the EU on 31 October. Macron of France want us to go anyway. 

If we leave we will wreck peace in Northern Ireland because of reasons. Oddly no-one wants NI, not us and not the Irish, so we're stuck with them.

Meanwhile the Scots reject Brexit and want independence, and their own membership of the EU.

Right now we have a fake government who have invited the fake president of a real estate corporation to a fake state visit where he will get Prince Wingnut (queen is pissed off with the fat orange shit) who will tell him a lot about climate change over tea whether we leave the EU or not.

I think that about sums it up

[Updated on: Thu, 23 May 2019 07:09]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75778 is a reply to message #75777] Thu, 23 May 2019 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geron Kees is currently offline  Geron Kees

Likes it here

Amazing, how your stupid shit goverment sounds so much like our stupid shit government. 

Love your explanation of the Brexit situation. Sounds like Lewis Carroll wrote the script.

Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75779 is a reply to message #75778] Thu, 23 May 2019 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Well, I guess I asked! If it wasn't so idiotic and potentially dangerous I'd laugh.

My gawd, you guys are at least as screwed up as we are with the orange babboon and his bottom boys in the sentate... not to mention that pig bannon still having way too much influence behind the scenes. One has to wonder how any thinking person can look at his ugly mug... or the orange babboon's for that matter... and not understand that these guys are dangerous... Everyone's brain is falling out, it seems! 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75780 is a reply to message #75779] Thu, 23 May 2019 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

And today we have had some sort of election to the European Parliament, spoiled by our preventing many people, thousands potentially, who have the right to vote from voting. 

THsi gets complex. I'm not even going to attempt to explain.

But the Fascists are very pleased that people could not vote, because they believe in democracy. Hmm, that does not compute.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75781 is a reply to message #75780] Fri, 24 May 2019 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

So, Timmy, any thoughts about the most recent action of your soon-to-be-former PM?
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75782 is a reply to message #75781] Fri, 24 May 2019 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Mark wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 17:00"
So, Timmy, any thoughts about the most recent action of your soon-to-be-former PM?

--
She's a bit of a monster herself, but saner than the great swathe of monstrous imbeciles that will race to be elected by 120,000 conservative party members to replace her.

No, only the party gets a say, and they are blue rinsed elderly WW2 celebrants, about to die right after we leave the EU in a triumph of the greatest national fuckup since the US was stupid enough to elect the fat orange balding fuckwit as lunatic in chief

Put simply, we're fucked.

It's been a long time coming. We still think we rule the world, have an empire, and that nationals of other proud nations are slitty eyed, or fuzzy wuzzies, or worse. We actually deserve this fuckup in the same way that the USA deserves Trump.

And neither are pleasant propositions. But Brexit is forever and Trump at worst another term plus the remains of this one

I'm thinking of taking out Scottish nationality, and campaigning for "our" independence from England

[Updated on: Fri, 24 May 2019 17:07]

icon5.gif Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75783 is a reply to message #75782] Fri, 24 May 2019 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Should I get off the fence and say what I mean?

Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75784 is a reply to message #75777] Fri, 24 May 2019 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pkew is currently offline  Pkew

Getting started

Timmy, you missed one stage out. 
May had a majority in parliament and thought she could get a couple of extra years by holding an election. Promptly lost the majority and had to bribe some religious nuts one billion pounds to keep her in power.
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75785 is a reply to message #75784] Fri, 24 May 2019 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

True. That pointless episode slipped my mind, much as it slipped hers

Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75786 is a reply to message #75785] Sat, 25 May 2019 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Driver is currently offline  Mark Driver

Getting started

Some voters want to burn the house down in response to corrupt politics only to hand the reigns to horrible people, making it all worse.  I hope the UK, France, Germany and the rest can hold it together.  We haven't done a good job of it in the States with no solution at hand yet.  

When I was a toddler the Republicans warned that regimes would fall like dominoes, replaced by Kr3mlin backed puppets.  It's an upside down world now, how Republicans are more apt to back the Kr3mlin.  My theory is how greed thrives by muting democracy.  I've noticed our marinas are overflowing with yachts these days.  That is likely more important to those folks, bigger yachts versus rule of law and saving the planet.

At Christmas Eve dinner I sat next to a woman from Norway.  She spoke about being in London when she was a girl, during Queen Elizabeth's coronation.  Made me think about how long Queen Elizabeth II has served, how much she has seen, and the perspective she has.  I want to know her opinion on what is going on currently.  The way Drumpf behaved during his official visit with her disgusted me, as did his lack of participation in the World War I commemoration in France.  I would love to see his replacement have a chance to make a proper visit to the UK, to begin making amends for prior disastrous behaviors of our current Presidunce.  Perhaps our next President will be our current gay candidate who is a Rhodes scholar.  I expect his meeting Queen Elizabeth II and re-visiting Oxford would be special, symbolic occasions for the road back to sanity for the US.
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75789 is a reply to message #75786] Wed, 29 May 2019 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Well, unfortunattely the candidate (he who's name cannot be pronounced or spelled) you speak of, Mark Driver, has little to no chance of receiving the nomination, much less winning the presidency, even though he is probably the most articulate of the bunch other than perhaps Biden who has the broadest depth of experience. The sad part is that we will again elect the orange babboon to another term. Why? Because people are just that stupid!

Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75806 is a reply to message #75789] Thu, 13 June 2019 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

As an American, I look at what's happening in Britain and I keep wondering why the LDP can't get their act together and offer some sort of sane solution? To me, it looks like the Tories are just about to tear their party asunder. Perhaps a large chunk might switch allegiance? That's what happened here in the lead-up to our Civil War; the Whig party couldn't come to a consensus on the issue of slavery so large numbers changed parties, mostly to the new Republican party.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75807 is a reply to message #75806] Fri, 14 June 2019 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Fri, 14 June 2019 00:07"
As an American, I look at what's happening in Britain and I keep wondering why the LDP can't get their act together and offer some sort of sane solution? To me, it looks like the Tories are just about to tear their party asunder. Perhaps a large chunk might switch allegiance? That's what happened here in the lead-up to our Civil War; the Whig party couldn't come to a consensus on the issue of slavery so large numbers changed parties, mostly to the new Republican party.

--

Politicians want to draw a salary. They don't leave or swap parties much because they expect to be elected next time and draw more salary, plus pension benefits. So we will get an imbecile no-one wants nor respects leading a party that is in terminal decline becase of pure self interest. Our next prime minister is to be elected eventually by 120,000 blue rinse elderly tory party members many of whom are white supremacist littel englanders.

Lib Dems? No-one votes for them. Unless they do. It's a bit like being told you have to be a Beatles or a Rolling Stones fan. Me? I like the Moody Blues and Manfred Man. But people vote along habitual lines.

In an election the only population you need to swing are the Floating Voters. Loyal party members are broadly irelevant unles you piss them off so badly that the change allegience.

The Lib Dems lost their main support after they helf power in coalition woith the tories because their supporters felt let down. They had no understanding of coalition, those supporters, so they voted for someone else, or not at all.

We have new parties periodically. They get reabsorbed into others. The Siocial Democratic Labour Party exosted once. It merged with the Liberals to create the Liberal Social Club (Lib Dems)

Change UK? Stillborn

Labour? Sitting on the fence and being accused of anti-semitism, which is an important accusation which might bring them down

Brexit Party? Fascists

Boris Johnson? I would not even use his hair to wipe my arse with.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2019 22:43]

Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75814 is a reply to message #75776] Tue, 18 June 2019 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andichan is currently offline  Andichan

Getting started

I don't recall who took the credit for saying this, but it has to be worth quoting.

'Politicians and nappies have two things in common. Both should be changed at regular intervals, and for the same reason.'

Andy.
Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75837 is a reply to message #75807] Wed, 17 July 2019 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It seems we are about to fin out this week if Dumb or Dumber becomes the UK's Prime Fuckwit

One of them might even appoint The Farage Balloon as ambassador to the Man Baby

https://i1.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/wpid-saatchipoo_450x300.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=450%2C300

Re: We've got our own troubles...  [message #75838 is a reply to message #75837] Fri, 19 July 2019 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Wed, 17 July 2019 14:44"
It seems we are about to fin out this week if Dumb or Dumber becomes the UK's Prime Fuckwit

One of them might even appoint The Farage Balloon as ambassador to the Man Baby

-- I think we're all pretty much screwed...

Today's Brexit scenario  [message #75889 is a reply to message #75776] Wed, 04 September 2019 10:20 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

An EU sceptic is leading the pro EU camp
A person pro EU is leading the anti EU camp
The opposition doesn't want an election
The government wants to resign...

Previous Topic: Hi guys , need advice with something
Next Topic: Terminology of Gayness
Goto Forum: