A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > A Friend of the Devil
A Friend of the Devil  [message #75829] Fri, 12 July 2019 22:43 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A Friend of the Devil is somewhat unusual. I wonder what folk will make of it. There's even a guest appearance of a car nut in it!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75830 is a reply to message #75829] Mon, 15 July 2019 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talo Segura is currently offline  Talo Segura

Likes it here

The opening chapter promises an interesting story about the relationship of a newly ordained pastor and a teenage boy he encounters when he arrives in a small town in Oregon. I love this kind of novel, not because of its religious scenario, nor the intrinsic problems posed by their relationship within the small town life which revolves around the Church, but rather I'm fascinated by the aspect of a period drama.
The new Reverend David Ayers drives a classic American car, escaped being drafted for the Vietnam war, and listens to the music of the era, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, the Eagles, Hotel California. The book is even introduced with a few lines from the Grateful Dead, "A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine." This is 1977 and the world is a completely different place to that of today, something which the author captures superbly. As a reader you can get lost in another reality, another time, which whilst a fictional story, that period existed as described, which, for me is the fascination.
The narrator of the story is Reverend David Ayers who paints the picture for us and explains his life and thoughts. At one point in this first chapter there is an almost melancholic description, as if David is looking back at those events from the past. I had the impression that perhaps something from the author's own life was reflected in this story. The rest of the narration is more immediate, right there on the spot as events unfold, and they unfold quite dramatically. The drama of this opening chapter is tightly focused on the two protagonists, David and Jackson, and promises anything but a smooth ride, given their nature and the social climate of the epoch.
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75831 is a reply to message #75830] Mon, 15 July 2019 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

"Talo Segura wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 04:58"
The opening chapter promises an interesting story about the relationship of a newly ordained pastor and a teenage boy he encounters when he arrives in a small town in Oregon.

I couldn't agree more. I'm very intrigued and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Quote:
This is 1977 and the world is a completely different place to that of today, something which the author captures superbly.

This totally brings me back to the year when I was a horny 13 year old boy trying to figure out my own sexualality.
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75832 is a reply to message #75829] Mon, 15 July 2019 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"timmy wrote on Fri, 12 July 2019 23:43"
A Friend of the Devil is somewhat unusual. I wonder what folk will make of it. There's even a guest appearance of a car nut in it!

--
As the story develops we will find the flaws in each participant, not only our heroes. Obviously I have the jump on you having read it all. I can rell you that I looked forward to opening each chapter and was not disappointed at the end of each, nor of this volume of the tale.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75833 is a reply to message #75832] Tue, 16 July 2019 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Mon, 15 July 2019 17:12"

"timmy wrote on Fri, 12 July 2019 23:43"

--
As the story develops we will find the flaws in each participant, not only our heroes. Obviously I have the jump on you having read it all. I can rell you that I looked forward to opening each chapter and was not disappointed at the end of each, nor of this volume of the tale.

--Oh, yes. I can see many opportunities for drama. The least of which Jake is underage at the beginning of the story. I'm guessing things get tense when his parents and/or the congregation get wind of the blossoming romance. I'm guessing David finally comes to terms with his sexuality. Also guessing someone gets a special gift on his 18th birthday?  😃

I was intially put off by the title of this story. I really didn't want to read a story that supposedly concerned the devil. After reading a comment in the forum I realized this storyline was very different from my first impression. The story title is actually a nod to a popular song from the era. I should have known that since I listened to that group back in the day! 
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75839 is a reply to message #75829] Sat, 20 July 2019 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Chapter Two (They get published faster than I can read 'em!)

Our Reverend David Ayers is a head case who tries to think through and intellectualise his actions, leaving poor Jackson frustrated. He can't tell the boy he loves him because he's not ready and hasn't worked out what that means. Therefore, were he to reciprocate and say those three little words he might not mean them and he doesn't want to hurt the boy. Actually, he is so fucked up that his emotions and sexuality are in one compartment and his intellect in another. The emotional compartment looks like it needs prying open with some force.

Love after all comes with an emotional price tag, with its highs and lows, and at the risk of being hurt. There are no guarantees. I feel sorry for Jackson falling for such a screwed up individual. Maybe the Reverend will work it out, but it might be Jackson that pays the price.

Chapter Two was around 8k words which I find much too long, it could have been split and it could have been thinned out. There was a lot of intellectualising by the Reverend about coming to terms with being gay, finding someone, and perhaps being in love, although he has no idea what that means. At the end of the chapter we get an extract from Jackson's diary, but that is simply a repeat of everything we had just read, albeit from the boy's POV. I found the diary extract a little self-indulgent on the part of the author. After all, if you want to explore both protagonists it would have been appropriate to use a third person narrative.

It was a good read, and equally well written as the opening chapter, if somewhat long winded. I should point out that at the end we are treated to an insight into Jackson's family which paints them, parents and brother, as villains. That is rather a gay novel cliché, poor down trodden boy meets older man who saves him from his awful family. Let's hope the rest of the story escapes the usual trope.
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75840 is a reply to message #75839] Sat, 20 July 2019 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We tend to accent the positive. All stories require us to suspend disbelief in some manner.

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75841 is a reply to message #75840] Sat, 20 July 2019 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

"timmy wrote on Sat, 20 July 2019 10:27"
We tend to accent the positive. All stories require us to suspend disbelief in some manner.

--
Well, to a certain degree. If complete suspension of belief is required, you should be writing sci-fi.....

I can see a lot of believable things in this story, although I think they are going way too fast. Of course there will be problems ahead. I fully expect a major situation to be the ending of this realionship, as well as his career. I also get the feeling that there is a bit too much of fitting story and song lyrics together. I lived through that era, and a lot of those tunes are best left forgotten!

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75842 is a reply to message #75829] Sun, 21 July 2019 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

It's the weekend so I might finish the next chapter as well. I love people's comments!

Chapter Three kicks off with a bizarre dream, although perhaps not out of place if you take into account the devastating effect of religion on our Pastor David Ayers. Still, I admit, to skimming through the dream, because the screwed up moralising imbued by Christianity is not my cup of tea.

Once past that, the story continues nicely as the boys come into contact once again with Susan; Jackson's music teacher, organist and choir leader at the church. They both start to realise that she is a nice lady with a heart as big as her size. Nothing is said, but when they stay for lunch and meet Helen, the head nurse at the local hospital, it becomes obvious these two ladies are more than just friends. They will no doubt become allies for David and Jackson when things take a turn towards confrontation.

I still find it difficult to accommodate David's religious moralising which continuously leads to him imposing a sexual abstinence on their relationship. What is it with this puritan Americanism that views gay relationships as mirror images of hetro relationships. Jackson even confronts David with the question: "So we need to get engaged and married... (before sex)." It's the great American dating game, which just isn't part of my experience. For myself, being gay turned all that on its head: which meant, fancy someone and get off together, sex then relationship. Far less frustrating!

I'm keen to see how things develop and hope to get more insight into rural America circa 1977. This was the period, as we've already learnt, of the Vietnam war. It was also the period post flower power and hippies, sexual liberation and gay rights. What a contrast with the picture so far of our Church focused small town somewhere in the middle of nowhere, I mean Oregon.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 July 2019 05:40]

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75843 is a reply to message #75842] Sun, 21 July 2019 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Chapter four was another goody, the author has this way of drawing you into the story. Of course, who could not be on Jackson's side and hoping he somehow makes it through. Despite the well worn theme of child abuse by a bully of a father who exerts physical punishment on his sons and a drunk alcoholic mother thrown in for good measure, the story still holds the reader. Probably it's the eternal fight between good and evil that everyone loves, to boo the villains and cheer the heroes. Which brings me to Pastor David who's changing and becoming seemingly more human and in touch with his emotions. I can start to see the life of a religious small town community unfolding and I'm sure he's going to deliver one almighty first sermon. What though will happen to Jackson and his brother, it seems the likely outcome is they get taken into care. Then the only hope for the Reverend and Jackson's relationship is the boy turning eighteen. But you never know, there might be a twist around the corner.

Haha, I'm reading as fast as you can publish... when's the next Chapter?
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75844 is a reply to message #75843] Mon, 22 July 2019 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"Talo Segura wrote on Sun, 21 July 2019 16:12"

What though will happen to Jackson and his brother, it seems the likely outcome is they get taken into care.

--
I definitely think the boys will removed from their home and put into foster care. I have a feeling they might be sent to live with David. I think Jackson for sure.
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75845 is a reply to message #75844] Tue, 23 July 2019 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

"Talo Segura wrote on Sun, 21 July 2019 01:37"
I'm keen to see how things develop and hope to get more insight into rural America circa 1977. This was the period, as we've already learnt, of the Vietnam war. It was also the period post flower power and hippies, sexual liberation and gay rights. What a contrast with the picture so far of our Church focused small town somewhere in the middle of nowhere, I mean Oregon.

--
By 1977, we'd been out of the war in Vietnam for about 5 years. "Flower power" was almost 10 years gone, and by then, the rising forces of conservatism were already fighting against the Equal Rights Ammendment, causing it to fail. Anita Bryant was already a national figure. "Gay Rights" really only existed in a few large cities at that time.

What would make it a more interesting story would be some more character developement on the brother.

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75847 is a reply to message #75845] Wed, 24 July 2019 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"American_Alex wrote on Tue, 23 July 2019 14:31"

"Talo Segura wrote on Sun, 21 July 2019 01:37"

--
By 1977, we'd been out of the war in Vietnam for about 5 years. "Flower power" was almost 10 years gone, and by then, the rising forces of conservatism were already fighting against the Equal Rights Ammendment, causing it to fail. Anita Bryant was already a national figure. "Gay Rights" really only existed in a few large cities at that time.

What would make it a more interesting story would be some more character developement on the brother.

--
I should check my history facts, it was mentioned the Reverend Ayers escaped the draft, but as he's 24, I think that could have been 6 years earlier just at the end of the Vietnam war. Flower Power may have ended in the sixties, but its influence continued on the world, and the gay movement was confined to big cities, but its impact did start to change things, the ripple effect, but there are always the counter forces of right wing fascism, you can see that today.

Chapter Five was great, right into the action, although I was expecting more from the first sermon and didn't quite get it. The shit hit the fan with the CPS visit. I agree with American Alex about character development, often though, stories get tightly focused on the main protanganists, especially first person narratives. That choice for the story narrows the picture, imposing lots of constraints, I too am very interested in Bud, especially now, in the light of recent revelations.

Still, I wouldn't be too critical of the story, because it's got me hooked in. I guess when it's a good story we always want more of the picture.

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75848 is a reply to message #75829] Wed, 24 July 2019 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Chapter Six.

Things are really changing for the Harris family and the Reverend Ayers. With Bud out of the picture and Lilly determined to make an effort to keep hold of her boys and keep the family together, it could work out. David finally was overcome by love and emotion when Jackson crept into his bed, and that was a beautiful climax (no pun intended) to the chapter. I am wondering about Gary and how things will work with him, because he has such a contradiction of emotions. He bullied and protected his younger brother, both at the same time. He suffered sexual abuse, which poses some serious questions about the consequences, for him and everyone else. Will Jackson want to know who his father is? What might that reveal? There are still a whole host of possible explosive dramas and discoveries, not the least of which is David's homosexuality and relationship with Jackson. I really can't wait to read the next chapter and try to see what direction the story is heading in!
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75857 is a reply to message #75829] Sat, 03 August 2019 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I'm still not caught up, these are long chapters, and get published in quick succession, but I've read chapters 7 and 8. Now that everything has exploded for the Harris family, Jackson and his brother Gary have things to confront, and so do their parents. Our good reverend is there to help, along with those wonderful ladies, Susan and Ellen.

There is a lot of introspection, it pretty much dominates the story, as the Reverend Ayers has much to come to terms with and reconcile. The situation being further complicated by his Church's stance on homosexuality, plus Jackson's age. You can't help thinking he's walking a tightrope and his close friend from his days at the seminary told him the same thing.

We can listen to the cogs whirling in his head as he tells himself they can manage things, they can have some sort of persona and understandable relationship towards the rest of the world. But can they? Bud must have believed exactly the same thing, and carried on doing what he was doing, until the day it all came tumbling down. It's like building castles in the sand, if the tide doesn't wash them away, they will collapse with the next strong wind.

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75858 is a reply to message #75857] Tue, 06 August 2019 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Chapter Nine

Things are going quite smoothly with Bud out of the picture, life for Jackson, Gary and their mother is getting organised. Still as David brings up quite bluntly, there are issues that have not been faced head on. Namely, the sexual abuse of Gary.

Interestingly in this chapter there is some religious history and philosophical debate. Nothing too heavy or too deep, but I found it educational. I have to admit to being someone who largely ignores Christianity due to my experience of it as a child, but the author handles the topics he chooses to discuss in a gentle and light fashion, which I found adds another dimension to this story. After all, what would a novel about a Presbyterian Minister be without some insight into that religion.
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75862 is a reply to message #75829] Fri, 16 August 2019 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

It's been a pleasure reading the forum comments, observations and suggestions. Especially so as a new autho on IOMFATS.

For those following the story, the songs and song lyrics are integral parts of the developing plot, and FYI, Timmy and I had a technological disconnect that prevented the appearance of links to relevant YouTube videos as the song lyrics appear. If you are interested, therre are seven in chapters published to date, and they are:
Chapter 2Video link of Simon and Garfunkel sing I Am A Rock from the 1960's Chapter 3Video link of Gordon Lightfoot singing The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face from the 1960's Chapter 5Video link of Simon and Garfunkel singing The Sound of Silence from 1960' Chapter 8
Video link of Nazareth perform Love Hurts live from 1976
Video link of Nazareth singing Please Don't Judas Me from 1976

Chapter 14
Video link of The Grateful Dead singing Ripple
Video link of The Grateful Dead singing A Friend of the Devil

Bensiamin
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75863 is a reply to message #75862] Fri, 16 August 2019 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Sort of a sidebar here. I'm wondering how many people think the fact a 17 year old boy would be attracted to a 25 year old is weird. It's not. When I was 16 I desperately wanted two coworkers at a summer job who were around 26/27 years old (ironically, a job at my church).  I would have had NO problem hooking up with them! The one thing I never considered was the legal position I would have put them in if things progressed. I wonder if David and Jackson will have to deal with that issue in future chapters? We shall see.
icon14.gif Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75864 is a reply to message #75863] Fri, 16 August 2019 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Luvtwinks: thanks for sharing that observation. I can attest to the truth of it. There are those of us attracted to older men for a variety of reasons...some of them explored in this story!

Bensiamin 

Bensiamin
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75865 is a reply to message #75864] Sat, 17 August 2019 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Bensiamin wrote on Fri, 16 August 2019 23:02"
Luvtwinks: thanks for sharing that observation. I can attest to the truth of it. There are those of us attracted to older men for a variety of reasons...some of them explored in this story!

Bensiamin 

--
I have often found that, where I have to suspend my own disbelief, others are already experiencing the things I find hard to believe.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 August 2019 15:01]

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75874 is a reply to message #75829] Thu, 22 August 2019 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

The last two paragraphs of chapter 17 foreshadow a dramatic revelation. However, considering all involved, I think it will work out for the best. We shall see!
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75896 is a reply to message #75829] Tue, 10 September 2019 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Has this story ended? There hasn't been a new chapter in a week, and the last chapter didn't seem like an ending.

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75897 is a reply to message #75896] Wed, 11 September 2019 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I believe we are anticipating a further volume

icon14.gif Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75899 is a reply to message #75897] Thu, 12 September 2019 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Yes, indeed. Volume 2 is in the works. Rolling Eyes

As a new author here I was beginning to worry when the forum comments dropped off some weeks back, but also want to affirm the value of the comments that are made in terms of confirmation of how the story is developing, as well as insight into reader's understanding and desire of where it should, could, or might go. As a reader for years who did not make comments, I can affirm I was remiss in my responsibility!

Bensiamin
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75900 is a reply to message #75899] Thu, 12 September 2019 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"Bensiamin wrote on Thu, 12 September 2019 18:15"
Yes, indeed. Volume 2 is in the works. Rolling Eyes

--
Oh, good. Like poster American Alex I noticed the last chapter didn't quite seem like a definite ending. Although after re-reading the last couple of paragraphs I see how it could be an ending. Looking forward to future chapters! Lots of possibilities for various storylines. 
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75937 is a reply to message #75900] Fri, 27 September 2019 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

I've yet to read all the comments above but wanted to react prior to reading them. 

Timmy was wondering what readers reaction would be. I can imagine all sorts of reactions from anger at the religious overtones to readers for whom this story resonates in major ways. Honestly, I believe that there are countless men out there who can relate to this story and the hold religion, specifically Christianity, has had over their lives. It certainly resonates with me, and as such this particular read has been a good one, not because I approve of religion that boxes it's youthful adherants into a false paradigm, but becasue I can relate to the journey through, and beyond that destructive paradigm. 

I just reread that and am not sure it makes any sense... LOL

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75947 is a reply to message #75937] Fri, 27 September 2019 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Teddy;

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, espeicaly the candid one about the hold religion has over people, especially as concerns sexuality. The sad reality is that most religion does just what you so eloquently said, especially as concerns gay sexuality: boxes it's youthful adherents into a false paradign. The real problem is that the consequence are not limited to the realm of sexuality, but the fear and self-hate and anguish effect all of their (our) lives!

One of the major themes of this story is just that, two partially broken people finding each other and helping each other heal and prosper in life. The type of thing all of us and our institutions should be doing! I've received a number of emails from readers, and none of them (so far!) have expressed anger about the religious or theological overtones. Maybe those who anr put off by it moved on or are silent, and that's fine. For those, though, that are in touch with themselves enough to address the issues, my hope is just that this story helps them along their journey.

Bensiamin

Bensiamin
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75975 is a reply to message #75829] Sun, 06 October 2019 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

A month and still no chapters? The way it was left may not be a "sword of damocles" hanging over the characters, but there certainly is a time of reckoining coming for nearly every character. As far as the Presbyterian Church is concerned, I knew a Presbyterian minister who a full 15 year after this story was set who came out as gay, and was not permitted to serve as a minister after that. In this story, the threat of legal problems is just about to disappear, but there are still risks as to how family and the local population would feel about their relationship. Add into that future collegiate plans, the mother's health issues, as well as the minister's professional future mean that the next year will most likely be chaotic.

As far as the age difference, my partner and I have a 8 year age difference. Yeah, it would raise eyebrows at age 17, but by age 19, I doubt anybody would comment on it. Back in that time, seeing as to how homosexuality was either illegal or disapproved, gay people were considered somehow 'defective', and therefore there wasn't much considered about the age difference between a couple of 'perverts", really. This used to lead to a lot of relationships which would be considered 'abusive' today, but were fairly common back then. Heck, a lot of straight guys 'got it on' with female teachers in those days, and often nothing was said, outside of maybe the teacher having to move to a different district. Oregon seemed to be a bit more enlightened even back then, but remember that it was a state which was liberal in the west, and conservative in the east, just like Washington is. Also, despite having 'liberal leanings', Oregon is the only state which had the prohibition of people of African descent from being allowed to resid there written into it's constitution, and was enforced well into the 1920's....

Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75976 is a reply to message #75975] Sun, 06 October 2019 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

@American Alex. According to a previous post volume 2 is being written. Indeed, lots of loose ends dangling after volume 1. Looking forward to seeing how the various situations are resolved.
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #75977 is a reply to message #75976] Mon, 07 October 2019 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

@American Alex, I've seldom if ever known of a print book author to come out with the next volume of a series with in a month or less of completion of the first volume. It seems a bit presumptious to me to get impatient for the next book in a series after only a month. Now if it had been 16 years as it has been with some of Comicality's stuff we might have something to complain about! LOL

[Updated on: Mon, 07 October 2019 02:52]

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #76051 is a reply to message #75977] Fri, 18 October 2019 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Teddy: thanks for the supporting comments, and to all of you for reading David and Jackson's saga thus far and commenting along the way. Many of those comments have been quite helpful.
Timmy was correct, there's a second volume to come...very soon. I just finished wiritng it, and am doing final edits. I'll be packing it up and sending it along to Timmy over the weekend.
To address one point of anticipation, Yes, Jackson's eighteenth birthday does occur shortly after Volume 2 begins. That moves him past the age of constent in Oregon. It's interesting, though. If the story had taken place just 45 miles north in Vancouver, WA where the age of consent is 17, or in Reno, NV where the age of consent is 16 it would have been a non-issue and much (but not all, by any means) of the early tension in the story wouldn't have been there.
By way of some advance insight, here's an image that will be central to Volume 2, and which was mentioned in passing in Volume 1.
Bensiamin

Bensiamin
Re: A Friend of the Devil  [message #76214 is a reply to message #75829] Sun, 17 November 2019 21:06 Go to previous message

Likes it here

Recent Forum posts focused on the obviously upcoming eighteenth birthday for one of our protagonists, and that is obviously a real thing that will set a marker, of sorts, in the story line...as well as the life of Jackson and David.

What shouldn't be lost in the focus on achieving the age of consent, is what has happened to both of the characters, especially to Jackson over the last four months. Hopefully the events that conclude this first volume make a case about coming of age in a variety of healthy and wholesome ways, and lay some track for the next phase of their lives.

Bensiamin
Previous Topic: Lest We Forget
Next Topic: Inkerman Street by Arapiles
Goto Forum: