A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Looking for a story - and thanks!
Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76558] Mon, 24 February 2020 08:55 Go to next message
4by12 is currently offline  4by12

Getting started

Firstly I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Timmy (I hope I've got the right person here). This site and its stories have helped me through some rough times for over a decade now - being a leading reason I don't hate myself for my sexuality. I've not been to many particularly dark places, but I'm Utterly grateful and it's changed my life. I'm also a little ashamed I've not said thanks before.

soppy bit over - I wondered if you guys could help. I'm trying to find a story and I'm worried it's been deleted. It was about a boy who discovers his mother has died (I think it was a drug overdose) he moves in with a cop and his partner and falls in love with the deaf boy a cross the street.  He learns sign language - and I feel like there's a rugby injury involved too - but I don't know if I'm joining stories in my head. possibly might be set in New Zealand?

hope someone can help.  Matt
Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76559 is a reply to message #76558] Mon, 24 February 2020 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"4by12 wrote on Mon, 24 February 2020 08:55"
Firstly I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Timmy (I hope I've got the right person here). This site and its stories have helped me through some rough times for over a decade now - being a leading reason I don't hate myself for my sexuality. I've not been to many particularly dark places, but I'm Utterly grateful and it's changed my life. I'm also a little ashamed I've not said thanks before.

Your thanks is appreciated. I'm truly happy that the site has done what I set it up to do and helped you in a way you needed

"4by12 wrote on Mon, 24 February 2020 08:55"
soppy bit over - I wondered if you guys could help. I'm trying to find a story and I'm worried it's been deleted. It was about a boy who discovers his mother has died (I think it was a drug overdose) he moves in with a cop and his partner and falls in love with the deaf boy a cross the street.  He learns sign language - and I feel like there's a rugby injury involved too - but I don't know if I'm joining stories in my head. possibly might be set in New Zealand?

hope someone can help.  Matt

I entered the word 'deaf' into the site search engine (top of the home page), and came up with several possibles:

Of those it looks like the last is the most likely. It appeared between 2 and 30 January 2017

Evan emailed me a little over a year ago thus:
"Quote:"
Hi Timmy
I would like to ask you to remove all my stories from IOMFATS. I have decided to rewrite some of my stuff into a more YA friendly format and self-publish.
Sorry to be a spoilsport but as I've grown older and have more time on my hands, this has become a passion for me.
Thanks and best regards
EC

I have just emailed him to ask how he is getting on, but the email has bounced back

[Updated on: Mon, 24 February 2020 09:18]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76560 is a reply to message #76558] Mon, 24 February 2020 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

I'm gutted to hear that. It was a great story and always made me choke up reading it. I would ask if anyone has a copy - but don't want to go against an authors wishes. 

I also spent hours last night searching every key word in the story - to no avail. Was secretly hoping I'd been daft and missed one Sad

You never know - maybe it will appear again in future.  I do remember reading the story more than once however - so I thought it had been hosted for a longer time. 
Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76561 is a reply to message #76559] Mon, 24 February 2020 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It is definitely the tale by Evan Carlton.

I cannot find it on Amazon, but he may nor write under that name, and may have changed the name of the book

His email address suggested that he is a New Zealander, but that is all I know

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76562 is a reply to message #76561] Mon, 24 February 2020 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Matt,

Have you tried any of the web archive sites? Do a Google search for "web archive sites" Your top hit will more than likely have an archive of this site and most other websites on the www and likely you'll discover the story you're looking for. I've not looked but give it a try. 

Private message me and let me know if you need some help.

Teddy

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76563 is a reply to message #76558] Tue, 25 February 2020 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Mr Teddy,

You sir are a genius8o

I must also say - it is a true wonder to be part of a forum where the first two people to reply are wonderfully helpful! 

virtual hugs from me Smile

Matt
Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76564 is a reply to message #76563] Tue, 25 February 2020 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We keep a friendly house here, Matt

Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76565 is a reply to message #76564] Tue, 25 February 2020 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Glad to have been able to assist 😇

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Looking for a story - and thanks!  [message #76577 is a reply to message #76558] Thu, 05 March 2020 09:18 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The original post prompted me to write this month's Patreon newsletter.

These newsletters are public, and are emailed every month to our patrons, who number many, and to whom we are  all grateful. I wanted, simply, to show Matt, our new friend, that I appreciate him.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 March 2020 09:18]

Previous Topic: Cow Pies and Country Cousins
Next Topic: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well
Goto Forum: