A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > True to myself
 () 1 Vote
True to myself  [message #77279] Fri, 04 September 2020 20:27 Go to next message
Shazamboi is currently offline  Shazamboi

Getting started

To be honest, I've put a lot of thought into myself in the past few months. And I've come to the conclusion that it's okay to be myself. I shouldn't live in fear of who I am just because society puts a label on it and shuns it. It's sad but, the world can really makes things worse than they really are.
Re: True to myself  [message #77280 is a reply to message #77279] Fri, 04 September 2020 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Learning to be comfortable with who we are is very useful. It took me rather too long

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: True to myself  [message #77281 is a reply to message #77280] Fri, 04 September 2020 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

And I, Timmy, and I!

The problem is the very point of the Delphic Oracle's "Know Thyself!" and Shakespeare's extension "To Thine Own Self Be True."

The former must preceded the latter, and sadly almost none of society's institutions focus on or facilitate either.

Thus as individuals and small groups we're left to sort it out for ourselves, and given that we have but one relatively short life to live, we sure can waste a lot of time getting there!

Bensiamin
Re: True to myself  [message #77282 is a reply to message #77281] Sat, 05 September 2020 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

And I, Timmy Bensiamin, and I! hehe

Yeah, It took me awhile also. And as you might note in another thread I posted a couple days ago, I encountered a man of 60 years who is just beginning to realize and try to figure it out.

The hard part of the scenario is that it seems each succeeding generattion has to figure it out for themselves. We develop herds here among us humans and those who don't comform to the herd get culled frorm it, so the problem is perpetuated into infinity.

The good news is that each of us get to decide for ourselves that it's okay to recover from the abuse the herd inflicts on us Smile

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: True to myself  [message #77284 is a reply to message #77279] Sat, 05 September 2020 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I think that's great, and being true to oneself does get easier with experience and practice ... it can be habit-forming. But of course "oneself" is constantly changing and evolving - I certainly was a different person when I came out aged 25 than I am now aged 65 - so there's always a certain amount of continual updating involved.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: True to myself  [message #77285 is a reply to message #77281] Sat, 05 September 2020 23:07 Go to previous message
Shazamboi is currently offline  Shazamboi

Getting started

"Bensiamin wrote on Fri, 04 September 2020 23:26"
And I, Timmy, and I!

The problem is the very point of the Delphic Oracle's "Know Thyself!" and Shakespeare's extension "To Thine Own Self Be True."

The former must preceded the latter, and sadly almost none of society's institutions focus on or facilitate either.

Thus as individuals and small groups we're left to sort it out for ourselves, and given that we have but one relatively short life to live, we sure can waste a lot of time getting there!

--
It's funny you used the Delphic Orace as a reference, as a practicing pagan, I've been in a coven for about three years, in that circle I'm known for my guiding answers and wisdom. They call me an Oracle. Something I've only recently come to accept. I think that being true to oneself is the only truth that matters in the world.
Previous Topic: Non-binary
Next Topic: Random Thoughts
Goto Forum: