A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Lost Lad
Lost Lad  [message #77467] Thu, 12 November 2020 16:25 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

By recommendation of a gentleman who really ought to come here to recommend other tales, I just finished Lost Lad by an a author whose name must surely, be an anagram

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5236&private=0

The story intrigues. The setting has the same charm as the tale. Dirt cheap as a Kkndle book (get the app for your computer if you don't want to buy a device). It's a glorious travelogue, not just through Derbyshire, but through the UK queer scene in 1960, before anyone was gay.

Oh the shorts, too!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Lost Lad  [message #77469 is a reply to message #77467] Fri, 13 November 2020 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Thanks for the recommendation, Tim. As soon as I am finished here I will go to Amazon and get it.

I have discovered that for a very modest fee you can purchase a Kindle Unlimited subscription, at least here in the US, and find many of the books of this genre and many others available for free. This discovery has saved me quite a few $$$ since I discovered it last summer.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Lost Lad  [message #77478 is a reply to message #77467] Sun, 15 November 2020 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

Intrigued by the cover picture, I bought Lost Lad on kindle and spent much of yesterday reading it. Sadly, those shorts don't feature in the story but I had to read to the end to find out what happened to the 'lost lad.' A fine evocation of the countryside and myths of the Peak District is woven into the tale and there are many interesting characters. The main character, Simeon Hogg, became more likeable as the story progressed. There is satire and humour and hardly any smut so it's a book to be safely enjoyed by general readers of most ages. It's one of those rare stories that I thought about for hours after I'd finished it. It made me nostalgic for those golden days of boyhood when you went off on your bike with a bunch of mates, exploring mysterious places and pretty villages, coming across weird old men and generally being free and having fun. Highly recommended.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 November 2020 10:36]

Jolyon
Re: Lost Lad  [message #77479 is a reply to message #77478] Sun, 15 November 2020 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Here is  a link to Narvel S. Annable's web site:

http://narvelannable.co.uk/

It is quite interesting.
Re: Lost Lad  [message #77480 is a reply to message #77478] Sun, 15 November 2020 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

One lad wears those shorts!  You read too fast

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Lost Lad  [message #77482 is a reply to message #77480] Mon, 16 November 2020 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

Ah, yes, so I did. I missed this sentence: 

'Whether by design or chance, Brian seemed to be wearing the same shorts as when he was eight years old and the outcome was only just decent.'  

Silly me.

Jolyon
Re: Lost Lad  [message #77483 is a reply to message #77482] Thu, 19 November 2020 05:58 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

What an excellent book! The author descrribes so very well the countryside in which the tale was set. It was so very easy to picture in the mind's eye. A good mystery leaves few clues tthat are discernable from the rest of the fluff, as to the surprising outcome. This one does that in spades, but the clues were indeed there. Thanks for the recommendation. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: Kaiser's Magic
Next Topic: Hosting of eBooks
Goto Forum: