A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Lost in the cloud
Lost in the cloud  [message #77645] Thu, 11 March 2021 07:16 Go to next message
Talo Segura is currently offline  Talo Segura

Likes it here

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5279&private=0

Those who did not backup their data may find themselves in a difficult position. It's unclear at this time if OVH will be able to restore the data lost on the cloud servers.
Re: Lost in the cloud  [message #77647 is a reply to message #77645] Thu, 11 March 2021 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Damn! Sucks to be the people that didn't have redundancy in their backup plans.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Lost in the cloud  [message #77671 is a reply to message #77645] Thu, 25 March 2021 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

I read several articles about cloud security and backup after reading this article.  Such things really make one think -- do I REALLY have my data, stories, etc. truly and redundantly backed up?
Re: Lost in the cloud  [message #77674 is a reply to message #77645] Thu, 25 March 2021 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Cloud storage is convenient, but should not become a replacement for a copy on a local drive, and probably a third back up on a flashdrive or some other removalbe media that can be kept in a separate safe place! One of the problems with our internet-dependent society is that it consciously and unconsciously encourages prople to do everything on the net, store everything one the cloud where it can be accessed my multiple devices from any locations... but people tend to also forget about security and back up!

Bensiamin
Re: Lost in the cloud  [message #77680 is a reply to message #77674] Fri, 26 March 2021 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

"Bensiamin wrote on Thu, 25 March 2021 16:02"
Cloud storage is convenient, but should not become a replacement for a copy on a local drive, and probably a third back up on a flashdrive or some other removalbe media that can be kept in a separate safe place! One of the problems with our internet-dependent society is that it consciously and unconsciously encourages prople to do everything on the net, store everything one the cloud where it can be accessed my multiple devices from any locations... but people tend to also forget about security and back up!

--
The first computer that I was responsible for was an Apple iic, back around 1986. It had been donated to work, and as the only technical-type-person on the permanent staff, I'd been told to figure out what we'd use it for. So I transferred the membership lists (about 10,000) to computer, to replace the tempramental ageing adressograph we'd been using.

Backup, of course, was vital! So, I had a "working" and "reserve" set of five-and-a-quarter-inch floppy discs in my office, and a duplicate "reserve" set lived in the floor safe at work. A final, off-site, monthly backup set was done ... which I took home with me and kept under the matress of the guestroom bed! Hardly compliant with today's data protection standards.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Lost in the cloud  [message #77682 is a reply to message #77680] Sat, 27 March 2021 00:55 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

It's not just accidental or inadvertent loss of data we need to be concerned with. I recently received a notification from Google that if I failed to access the documents in my Google Drive and in Google Documents within a specified time frame that my documents would be automatically deleted. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: Literature's Most Powerful Inventions
Next Topic: Aspiring writer
Goto Forum: