A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I thought you might find this ... er ... instructive.
icon7.gif I thought you might find this ... er ... instructive.  [message #8531] Wed, 19 March 2003 10:25 Go to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon".

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10.You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.
Re: I thought you might find this ... er ... instructive.  [message #8533 is a reply to message #8531] Wed, 19 March 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

Oh my God...

The computer I have is about 6 years old...an IBM that pre-dates "Pentium anything". I have Windows 98, and my icq (version circa 2000) hasn't worked in ages...

This is the only computer I have ever owned.

And in 3 months I have to buy a new one, and you mean I'll have to learn all about how to use something newer and more technical?

What kind of new computer should I buy, anyhow? All I know is that I want something that I can learn how to download music and make CD's with...

I am SUCH an Old Geeser...sheesh!

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Re: I thought you might find this ... er ... instructive.  [message #8539 is a reply to message #8531] Thu, 20 March 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rbryce is currently offline  rbryce

Likes it here

GOD forbid if your car ever started in the SAFE mode---what a trip that would be. rob
Re: I thought you might find this ... er ... instructive.  [message #8565 is a reply to message #8531] Sat, 22 March 2003 06:02 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I feel like adding my own-
11. A group of random individuals would contribute to the design of a car and give you all the parts to build it yourself for free, yet an instruction and assembly manual that only other car developers could read. The car would be far superior to other cars and improving daily, though you'd have to rebuild it whenever a new feature was released. Users of this car would also be able to to get inside your car and take control of it with great ease.

(For those of you who don't know, that was talking about Linux, an open source operating system commonly used by hackers)

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Hot or Not?
Next Topic: If I could have a moment.................
Goto Forum: