A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Is this another Hoax or myth, please? Or is it legit??
icon5.gif Is this another Hoax or myth, please? Or is it legit??  [message #8629] Mon, 24 March 2003 23:02 Go to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

I remember another on of thse that webt around a while ago, and turned out to result in deleting some part of the computer that wasn't dangerous at all, and then had to be re-installed.

Is this amother one like that? How can I tell?

Thanks for the advice!

Here's what I got:

A virus has been passed on to me by a client who had received it from a contact. My address book was infected. Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find it in your computer too. The virus(called jdgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, whether or not you sent emails to your contacts. Here's how to check for the virus and get rid of it:
YOU MUST DO THIS:
1. Go to start, Find or search option
2. In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub-folders and any other drives you may have.
4. Click "find now".
5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe
DO NOT OPEN IT
6. Go to Edit (on menu bar), choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening it.
7. Now go to File (on menu bar) and select delete. It will then go to the Recycle Bin.
IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
icon4.gif It's one of those DIY virussen, so don't do a thing.  [message #8631 is a reply to message #8629] Mon, 24 March 2003 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

No Message Body
These are NEVER legit  [message #8632 is a reply to message #8629] Mon, 24 March 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This one is a valid part of your operating system. Delete it at your peril.

Always ignore these messages. The virus is the email activity in forwarding them on

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Is this another Hoax or myth, please? Or is it legit??  [message #8633 is a reply to message #8629] Mon, 24 March 2003 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick is currently offline  rick

Likes it here

Hi there ..

this might help you .. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/
Re: Is this another Hoax or myth, please? Or is it legit??  [message #8635 is a reply to message #8629] Tue, 25 March 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick is currently offline  rick

Likes it here

here another site the will help with this problem ...
you can find out here if its a Hoax or not ..

http://www.vmyths.com/

hope its will help you ..

Rick ..
Thanks, bud. See Hoaxes, bottom center of page.  [message #8638 is a reply to message #8633] Tue, 25 March 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

No Message Body
Re: Is this another Hoax or myth, please? Or is it legit??  [message #8641 is a reply to message #8635] Tue, 25 March 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashley is currently offline  ashley

Likes it here

Sent around over 2 years ago and it was mainly aimed at win95 and 98 users.

People have a habit of changing your direction through life
Re: Is this another Hoax or myth, please? Or is it legit??  [message #8652 is a reply to message #8629] Tue, 25 March 2003 13:36 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

"Microsoft® Debugger Registrar for Java", hmm.. doesn't sound too essential, more annoying. I'd probably just cause problems for anything that uses Java, I'm not sure. Can't really be bothered researching it though, I just pulled up the properties of the exe...

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Since it is happening
Next Topic: A lady I know...
Goto Forum: