A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Try this one out
Try this one out  [message #8819] Fri, 28 March 2003 21:43 Go to next message
mihangel is currently offline  mihangel

Likes it here

Yesterday's New Scientist has an interesting article called "The Big Brother Effect". The main message is that the more older brothers you have, the more likely you are to be gay. The figures are said to be statistically significant. There've been a number of findings about biological differences between gays and str8ts before, and the biologists don't know what to make of them. Still less do I. The fact that one of those at Michigan State University responsible for these new findings is called Marc BREEDLOVE does make one wonder. But it's not quite All Fools' Day yet.

They claim that "one gay man in seven can attribute his orientation to his older brothers. Boys with 2.5 older brothers are twice as likely to be gay as boys with no older brothers, and a boy with four older brothers is three times as likely to be gay."

Interesting to see how we rate, though statistically it will be meaningless as there will be no str8ts as a control. Remember, younger brothers don't affect the issue, nor do sisters older or younger. Lesbians don't show the same results. Only gays' older brothers matter.

So, how many older brothers do you have, or have had? To set the ball rolling myself, I have none.
I pitty the unlucky sot that is the .5 brother  [message #8820 is a reply to message #8819] Fri, 28 March 2003 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

No Message Body

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
I am the oldest  [message #8821 is a reply to message #8819] Fri, 28 March 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

of all my siblings so I guess I am only one times as likely to be gay. I do have three younger brothers so of course my youngest brother would, I suppose, be twice as likely as I am to be gay. As far as I know, he isn't. However, he is 32 and still single so perhaps he's following in his troubled older brother's footsteps afterall.

Think good thoughts,
e
Re: I pitty the unlucky sot that is the .5 brother  [message #8822 is a reply to message #8820] Fri, 28 March 2003 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Would that make him half as likely to be gay as a whole brother?

Think good thoughts,
e
Re: Try this one out  [message #8823 is a reply to message #8819] Fri, 28 March 2003 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdfencepost is currently offline  thirdfencepost

Really getting into it

Hehehe Im the third youngets Smile I love being the youngest lol

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
icon12.gif Isn't that discriminating against half-brothers?  [message #8824 is a reply to message #8820] Fri, 28 March 2003 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mihangel is currently offline  mihangel

Likes it here

No Message Body
Re: Try this one out  [message #8833 is a reply to message #8819] Sat, 29 March 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I've got no older brothers.

Of course for this to be accurate you need to remember that very few people are likely to have 4 older brothers, especially in today's society. You need to look at the number of gay men from WITHIN the sub group "men with 4 older brothers" before you can really analyse it properly. I'd be inclined to say that the majority of people will have no older brothers. If an "average" of two kids per family is used, then there is a 1/2 chance that you will be the older child to start with, then even if you are a younger child there is a 1 in 2 chance that your older sibling will be a sister. So really in loose terms only 1 in 4 people will have an older brother at all, but I guess if we have 1 in 2 havin older brothers here, than we may well be on to something.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
1 older brother  [message #8837 is a reply to message #8819] Sat, 29 March 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevor is currently offline  trevor

Really getting into it

So, e - are you "out" to your lil bro? Maybe you could double-date? Wink Seriously, though, it would be great to have a same-orientation brother. My brother and I are like night and day in almost every way.

Mrs. Trevor has a half-brother - maybe that's the .5? My sister in law has 6 sons and her husband also has 4 or 5 brothers if I recall. Hmm - maybe I have more in common with the inlaws than I thought!
Re: Try this one out  [message #8838 is a reply to message #8833] Sat, 29 March 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

I'm an oldest, too.

Man is the youngest of 5, but has only 1 older brother...all the rest are sisters.

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
Not out  [message #8847 is a reply to message #8837] Sat, 29 March 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

My youngest brother would most likely be the best possible candidate in my family to come out to, but I haven't. My speculation that he may be gay is just that. It is base solely on the fact that he has remained single. I know that he dates women, but so did I. In fact, I went as far as marrying one. However, I also think it would be really cool to have a same orientation brother. So if he does happen to be gay, I hope that at some point we could come out to each other.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon6.gif Re: Try this one out  [message #8854 is a reply to message #8838] Sat, 29 March 2003 09:04 Go to previous message
rbryce is currently offline  rbryce

Likes it here

that must be what their talking about-HELL ON EARTH--having 4 sisters---yuck!
Previous Topic: Hey, Question?
Next Topic: Something for a friend .. he comes here alot ..
Goto Forum: