A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day
Re: It Gets Better - Another Pick of the Day  [message #65047 is a reply to message #65045] Thu, 02 December 2010 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

You think that's short? :-

(Don't laugh - 71,000 views so far!)

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: It Gets Better - Another Pick of the Day  [message #65048 is a reply to message #65047] Thu, 02 December 2010 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I just somehow can't relate to it!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Re: It Gets Better - Another Pick of the Day  [message #65049 is a reply to message #65048] Thu, 02 December 2010 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

A message like this from Justin will have a solid impact on the teenage generation. He should be lauded for making this video and from a business standpoint it makes sense, so many of his fans are young LBGT kids.

If we don't get it, Timmy, it's just because we are too old to understand. He is the most famous 16 year old on the planet, that ought to mean something.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: It Gets Better - Another Pick of the Day  [message #65050 is a reply to message #65049] Thu, 02 December 2010 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That makes sense. My quibble is that he does not connect. He speaks, but he is not engaged. I understand his audience and his catchment area.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65051 is a reply to message #64369] Thu, 02 December 2010 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I can't despise all Christians, especially those who step forward with their belief that they need to speak out and save lives. In truth the only means of supressing the hatred of LBGT people by the Christian right will come from people like this. Moderate Christians who see their belief as one that requires the support of everyone with a need.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2010 12:41]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
It Gets Better - Pick of the Day  [message #65052 is a reply to message #64369] Fri, 03 December 2010 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

itgetsbetter.org by mimosasinbed.com

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65066 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 04 December 2010 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Sport

It Gets Better - Pick of the Day  [message #65073 is a reply to message #64369] Sun, 05 December 2010 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://www.SurfDogRicochet.com. Dogs don't judge. They provide unconditional love & support. They think you're amazing, just the way you are! If you're being bullied, or not living up to someone elses expectations, check out this video where you will be immediately accepted and loved for who you are by a young golden retriever who has been where you are!

Ricochet gets bullied... she had expectations placed on her & she didn't live up to them. Disappointment, sadness & frustration resulted. But, it got better because she stayed true to herself & one day everything changed. Now, she's a very successful fundraising and inspirational dog that is known all over the world for the help she provides.

Her story has touched the lives of millions of people & she has raised over $51,000 for charity in the past year. She has won numerous awards and is held in high regard. She wants you to know, you can do it too! Just stay true to yourself & rise above the bullies and expectations because IT GETS BETTER! For more info go to http://www.surfdogricochet.com or on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SurfDogRicochet

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65077 is a reply to message #64369] Mon, 06 December 2010 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A message from one LGBT youth to anyone struggling with finding who they are and finding the hope to be strong. You are who you are and that is absolutely good enough! It gets better!

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65080 is a reply to message #64369] Tue, 07 December 2010 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Highschool?

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65084 is a reply to message #65077] Wed, 08 December 2010 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

I am so impressed with this young man. He really understands the problem, and his answers, his advice are all worthwhile and needed to be said.

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65086 is a reply to message #65084] Wed, 08 December 2010 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I try very hard to pick worthy PotD subjects.

icon5.gif Is this thread too long?  [message #65095 is a reply to message #64369] Fri, 10 December 2010 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have had it suggested to me that this thread is too long to read, and may be counter productive because of that.

So I have a question.

Is it?

If so, what do you suggest?

Re: Is this thread too long?  [message #65096 is a reply to message #65095] Fri, 10 December 2010 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Of course it is too long...but that's the point, isn't it? It shows how people can rally to support something like LBGT youth in such a dramatic way and with such diversity.

I have been through the list twice and each time see something different, something wonderful. I have no solution to the length, perhaps a chapter 2 thread. If we could see all the videos as thumbnails...but then that loses the comments you have added to guide us.

Just glad I don't run a website with such thoughty material Smile

Getting longer  [message #65099 is a reply to message #64369] Fri, 10 December 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Chris in a hat!

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65105 is a reply to message #64369] Sat, 11 December 2010 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A gay man, a straight man and a lesbian speak on the topic of discrimination of homosexuality.

I am Sharon Moroney, who is in the movie, and the newspaper article panned in the film. This is a tribute to that time in my life. This is a message to all that 'It Gets Better'. You really do just have to hang on and believe you will someday find love.

With a loving heart,
Sharon

The following is a newspaper article, transcripted from the original, in December of 2010. This article was featured in one of Toronto's First Gay Magazines, 'The Body Politic' of Pink Triangle Press, September 1985 issue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

High School Confidential

Out of School
Thrown Out Without Even Coming Out

"An arm that seemed to be draped around a shoulder and a Calvin Klein pin-up were enough to get three Toronto students expelled - for lesbianism"

by Gillian Rodgerson

"By kicking us out, they've plunged us right into the community."

- excerpts from the story to follow in the future

Re: Is this thread too long?  [message #65115 is a reply to message #65095] Sun, 12 December 2010 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

Purely as food for thought, I wonder if a thread of daily posts of the "it gets better" videos each only had a life of 7 days, thereafter the oldest of the 7 videos along with any replies would be shifted to the accumulating longer thread as an archive for perusal by anyone wanting to do so.

This would mean after the first week, there would be 7 videos in the thread, but only today's post, whichever day of the week that is, would be the latest.

Of course it means a little more work for Timmy, but it would keep the latest videos more easily accessible whilst the longer thread would become an archive collection of the "It gets better" videos thought to be most worthy.

Just a thought. Smile

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: Is this thread too long?  [message #65116 is a reply to message #65115] Sun, 12 December 2010 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Unfortunately the board software doesn't help us at all here. A post will fall down the page if it is not answered, but that doesn't work real well either for this subject.

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65122 is a reply to message #64369] Mon, 13 December 2010 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A highschool teen

Re: Let's help the It Gets Better Project - Pick of the Day  [message #65255 is a reply to message #64369] Fri, 21 January 2011 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

May I make this thread just a little longer? This is inspiring (and it brings the thread back to the top) Wink

http://tinyurl.com/4mrrwww

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #68705 is a reply to message #64478] Thu, 06 November 2014 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"timmy wrote on Tue, 26 October 2010 10:28"

I've just been told that this one may be used http://www.pureradio.org.uk/total-access--under-the-rainbow. html as the soundtrack, obviously.

--
Today, quite unsolicited, a good acquaintance said to me, "We watched your video, my husband and I. We grew up a lot as we watched it. We hadn't realised what people went through, go through." She and her husband are in their sixties, and I have not told them before that I am gay. They simply accept it as a fact of my life. She thinks I was probably born 10 years too early. I suggested that, here in the UK, I could also have been born 10 years too late. The pivotal time here was 1967, at least in my life, because the media histrionics surrounding the legalisation of homosexuality were so awful then.

Re: It Gets Better Project - Another Pick of the Day  [message #68706 is a reply to message #68705] Fri, 07 November 2014 13:52 Go to previous message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

I suspect that you are likely correct in your assumptions about the year 1967 and the U.K.  Widespread change was then awash throughout the Kingdom; within the British Isles themselves, and throughout all of the the Commonwealth, notably the Dominions Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

The pivotal year in Canada was probably two or three years earlier when the Liberal Party was mulling changes to their leadership and courting Pierre Trudeau.  Never a Liberal, but likely a Social Democrat; it was he who pushed (and he pushed real hard in 1964) for decriminalizing Homosexuality amongst other changes under the Canadian Criminal Code in advance of "expo'67" then under construction and scheduled to open in Montréal during our then Centennial year, 1967.  He was singularly responsible for Canada having adopted, in 1966, the "new to us" policy of Multiculturalism (then being implemented in Guyana) and throwing our borders wide open to all comers, and putting into place the foundation for what would morph into our Constitutional entrenching of Equality (in April, 1982) under the Law for all with the promulgation of The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms which eventually, in 2004, would require the Supreme Court of Canada to exercise the "Supremacy Clause", forcing the then Chretien, and later Martin Liberal government's hand on Equal Marriage, a clause which had been quietly percolating away since 1878 (and never before been used) and in effect allowed, and continues to allow, the Supreme Court to constitutionally make Law if and when the social and moral "temperament of the times" warrants it.

"expo'67" was important to us Canadians; it being the first time Canada would be under global scrutiny for who and what we were (and are to this day).  The World's Fair was a very big deal; the first time a fair of its' stature (the then, and to this day, the largest ever held) had been sanctioned by the Belgian governing body outside of Europe, entitling fair organizers to use the expression "Universal Exposition" in promotion of the event.  The fair was being billed as Canada's premier Centennial project. Billions were being spent on the project.  Montréal was undergoing a complete face lift; the waterfront had been leveled and cleaned up; subways were being built; an under-river tunnel was under construction; new expressways, stadia and théâtres were getting the finishing touches; Mirabel Airport (a new international airport north of the city) was scheduled to open during the fair.  All this required that nothing be allowed to interfere with the success of the fair, with undesirable media exposure being at the very top of the list of can't haves.  Laws effecting public gathering and assembly were scrutinized.  Montréal was then probably the most repressed society in Canada stemming from théâtre fires in the city during the earlier part of the century, and the horrible loss of lives, notably children; you had to be age-21 to do almost everything, regardless of whether that was drinking, attending théâtres or movie houses, bowling or pool halls, bath houses; everything whatever.  The powers that be were terrified that some tourist, during the fair, would be caught up in the city's (and province's) Draconian Laws and tarnish the image of the event.  Change had to be made; and so it was.  Homosexuality was swept under the carpet, the age-of-consent lowered to age-14, the drinking age was lowered to age-16, and the Laws governing public gathering and assembly disassembled.  With the closing of the fair in October 1967, after a six month run, change had come to Canada in a huge way, one that had never been thought possible before.  That particular "Genie" wasn't likely ever going to be put back in the bottle. The momentum, began in earnest two-years earlier, wasn't slowing down either; construction was announced and began on the Montréal Olympic venue; the rest as they say is history.  Canada, not only decriminalized homosexuality, over the course of the forthcoming half-dozen years all reference to homosexual behaviour and judicial punishment would be removed from the Criminal Code and all governing Statutes throughout the Dominion, with Provinces having to comply and change their Laws accordingly.  It would be 1980, or thereabouts, when the Police regionally would finally get with the programme; but, get with the programme they did, and by the time the Charter of Rights and Freedoms was in force in 1982 the specter of Police interference and brutality related to homosexual behaviour had all but been neutralized; that done the Police had to be instructed about the new Multiculturalism, and taught to uphold and respect it.  Over the course of the intervening years since "expo'67", Laws respecting age-of-consent, drinking assembly and others were quietly changed upwards as the then newly adopted periods of grace were found to be largely impractical and unworkable for Canadian overall sensibilities.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 November 2014 14:01]

Previous Topic: Really bad icon placement on billboard in Australia
Next Topic: Ashley, our friend from another place reminds me...
Goto Forum: