A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Need older Brits help
Need older Brits help  [message #67681] Fri, 19 April 2013 07:00 Go to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I need some of you older Brits to share some slang swear words from the eighties and earlier.
You know, one word cusses, short phrases, that kind of thing typical of teens from Britain and southern Scotland from before the mid eighties.
Ones still in use are fine, but none newer than the mid-eighties.
I'd rather you keep the board clean, so please PM your replies, unless you have some examples of less obnoxious ones. Surprised

raysstories.com
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67682 is a reply to message #67681] Fri, 19 April 2013 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

My era of 60s/70s was pretty fucking standard. We had nothing much special at all that I remember. 'Bollocks' was used a fair bit, still is. THat word that women so hate, cunt, was as popular then as today, as were dick, prick, cock. Bugger's usage as, bizarrely, a more polite version of fuck, remains the same today. The words haven't changed, but the precise deployment of them in phrases is likely to have shifted subtly.

No need to keep the board clean, you know. I'm intrigued by the answers.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67683 is a reply to message #67682] Fri, 19 April 2013 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

What a load of bollocks! You should bloody well know that southern Scotland (and the rest of it) is a part of Great Britain, you dozy bugger. Stap me. Bloody hell! What sort of shit for brains am I dealing with? Now piss off.

Hugs
Nigel

PS - does this fill the bill?

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67685 is a reply to message #67683] Fri, 19 April 2013 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Good enough so far, thanks! LOL
I'm trying to keep a character's language in synch with the times. I have no idea what was popular among teens for slang curses, only what was on 70's and 80's UK television shows, and there were few teens on them.

raysstories.com
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67686 is a reply to message #67681] Fri, 19 April 2013 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

By far the commonest in my circles in the 70s and early 80s was "sod" and its associates.

"Sod off". "No I sodding well won't"., "Sod you, then".

More generally, overworked new vogue words included "hassle", "bummer" (unpleasant experience), "suss out" and suchlike.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67688 is a reply to message #67686] Fri, 19 April 2013 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Old episodes of The Sweeney on Youtube might be some help. The original, not the 2012 remake.

But you have to remember that the words became minced oaths, which then entered the vernacular

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67690 is a reply to message #67688] Fri, 19 April 2013 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

O goodie! Something to watch later! Thanks!
And I can't believe I didn't think of sod. Was it also used as a... I guess noun, back then?
As in "You stupid sod."?
Or was that later than mid-eighties?

raysstories.com
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67714 is a reply to message #67690] Thu, 02 May 2013 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

There really was a "Flying Squad?"
I thought that was a Monty Python joke!

raysstories.com
Re: Need older Brits help  [message #67733 is a reply to message #67681] Mon, 06 May 2013 11:40 Go to previous message
Ian John Copeland is currently offline  Ian John Copeland

Toe is in the water

Wanker, tosser, benny (as in a simple character from Crossroads and used as an insult aimed at the residents of the Falklands).

As for ones aimed at gays 'mo, homo, queer, bender, arse bandit etc, etc.

Goodness knows I must be missing shedloads of earthy insults.

Ian

Visit my Blog: http://thepaintheagony.blogspot.co.uk/
Previous Topic: Zambia's outspoken vice-president: Gay rights are "self-indulgent"
Next Topic: Plus ça change
Goto Forum: