A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Ask Amy!
icon14.gif Ask Amy!  [message #68151] Thu, 21 November 2013 23:48 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://milkboys.org/content/img/amy.jpg

Wow! Good old Amy. Click the image for the text

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Ask Amy!  [message #68152 is a reply to message #68151] Fri, 22 November 2013 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

In addition to everything that's right about that response, I note the second sentence in the letter:
Quote:
We are part of a church group and I fear that if people in that group find out they will make fun of me for having a gay child.

One wonders if that is the sort of response to be expected from the members of whatever church the letter writer refers to and if so, why does the letter writer wish to remain associated with such people?

Why I don't have an advice column: My first reaction to the letter was, "Troll alert! No one in the second decade of the twenty first century can possibly be that ignorant. And no one who can hold down a paying job can possibly be that stupid!" (Upon careful reconsideration I can think of a number of counter-examples to that last sentence, many of them in the United States Congress.)  I would have been tempted to reduce the response to its first and last paragraphs, which is why the world is better off with Amy Dickinson writing an advice column and not myself.
Re: Ask Amy!  [message #68153 is a reply to message #68152] Fri, 22 November 2013 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I had the same reaction. No one could possibly write so clearly, yet be so clearly stupid.
Then, on second thought...
And good advice was given. I hope the teen in question reads the article.

raysstories.com
Re: Ask Amy!  [message #68154 is a reply to message #68153] Fri, 22 November 2013 17:37 Go to previous message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Excellent advice, but the letter-writer is probably too stupid to hear it. Those people are out there - and they vote. (scary!)

On a slightly-related note, i once forgot my no.1 daughter's birthday. Well, she'd just left home and out of sight, out of mind. But it was her 18th and it was just a couple of weeks after we'd watched the old movie 'Sixteen Candles', which is about parents forgetting their daughter's birthday Confused That is never going to happen again as reminders come loud & long every year now.

cheers
Previous Topic: Coming Out Stories
Next Topic: The wisdom of crowds, and Fags and Queers
Goto Forum: