A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Outage
Outage  [message #68330] Thu, 20 February 2014 18:17 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

How 'out' are you?

Think about your being out as Gay or Bisexual or Lesbian

Not out and still scared to death someone will find out
Out to family only
Out to friends only
Out to the world but I want to blend in
Out to the world and in your face about it
Out, confident, neither blending in nor in your face
Not gay but have a gay child or family member
Happy to be Hetero. Who needs to come out?

Current Results

We have a new poll

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Outage  [message #68332 is a reply to message #68330] Fri, 21 February 2014 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

I responded with "Out to friends only", but with the mental reservation that it's really family and friends. I've known some who are out to select friends but not yet to their families - like most polls, there might be some value to a "something not mentioned above" option.
Re: Outage  [message #68333 is a reply to message #68332] Fri, 21 February 2014 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

True, but one can always design a better poll Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Outage  [message #68339 is a reply to message #68333] Tue, 25 February 2014 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

"Not Out", though a very few family and even fewer friends know.

raysstories.com
Re: Outage  [message #68342 is a reply to message #68330] Wed, 26 February 2014 11:20 Go to previous message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

FWIW I'm in the "Out to the world but I want to blend in" category.

As in any poll, it's only representative of those who respond. However, I think the sample size is getting big enough to show up some interesting indicators.

Perhaps because I live in England and because of the people I've associated with, I was a bit surprised by such a large proportion in the "Not out and still scared to death someone will find out" category. I'm rather less surprised to see no one so far has put themselves as "in your face about it".

The relative proportions in the "Out to family only" and "Out to friends only" categories is about what I expected. Personally, I can't imagine coming out to family without "testing the waters" with friends first and hopefully getting some reassurance and support from them before deciding whether or not to come out to family. After all, if a friend turns out to be not-so-friendly and even stops being friends then it's sad but one can always find new friends. However, if family take it badly or turn nasty one it's not so easy to avoid them or to find new family.
Previous Topic: The Anti-Gay Olympics are open
Next Topic: Uganda: Finally some traction where none had previously been seen to be forthcoming.
Goto Forum: