A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Disparaging terms in tales
Disparaging terms in tales  [message #68417] Sun, 23 March 2014 03:45 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Why 'doing the nasty'? What is nasty about good, honest, enjoyable sex? It may be hilarious, exotic, erotic, serious, wonderful, glorious, messy, but never nasty.

And 'little swimmers' turns me right off. Who the heck needs a euphemism here? Or are we ashamed of ourselves?

'Boy pussy'? Give me strength, do we need to feminise an anus, now? And what is a woman's anus called?

[Updated on: Sun, 23 March 2014 03:47]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Disparaging terms in tales  [message #68698 is a reply to message #68417] Sat, 01 November 2014 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

If the words are being used by characters in the story, they might be perfectly appropriate: "His friend came along and snickered. 'You guys doing the nasty last night?'"

But if the author is using them to describe erotic/homoerotic scenes, perhaps he could use more palatable phrases such, "Michael winked as he closed the door behind them." This leaves the reader's imagination wide open. But if this is how the author describes action, he might want to consider a different genre altogether,
Re: Disparaging terms in tales  [message #68699 is a reply to message #68698] Sat, 01 November 2014 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Exactly. What I wonder is why people are ashamed of good, honest, down to earth sex, so call it by an unpleasant name. Character context is important, I had omitted that from my original thought, thnaks.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Disparaging terms in tales  [message #68700 is a reply to message #68417] Sun, 02 November 2014 18:50 Go to previous message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

I think it's worse in the US than Europe. Here, the nether region from the knees to the waistline is rarely spoken of. When I lived in Europe, the word "toilet" was pretty universal in every country. But here it's the 'bathroom' (takin' a bath, mate?) or 'rest room' (tired? the seats ain't comfy) or 'powder room'. From a Navy family, I learned that "I gotta hit the head" was fine. And that pissing in the powder room got the gunpowder all wet.

England taught me you could get pissed if you were too pissed to find the pisser. And the Loo and WC.

So when we move beyond that into sexual activity, which is probably a step lower on the public decency scale, it's not tough to understand we'll seek creative euphemisms for "did you insert your penis into his anus/her vagina?" Why there's a public decency scale, of course, is a whole new kettle of fish.
Previous Topic: Ryan Dolan - Start Again [Official Music Video]
Next Topic: Twice in less than a month; a record of sorts...
Goto Forum: