A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Easter has arrived.
Easter has arrived.  [message #68466] Sun, 20 April 2014 13:26 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

This weekend, the culmination of a month-and-a-half long celebration of Christian faith, is sacred to most of the World's faithful for one reason or another; therefore, I would sincerely hope that all are able to enjoy the day, whether it be with family, with friends, or by themselves, or some combination of the aforementioned.

Be healthy and safe.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada
Re: Easter has arrived.  [message #68467 is a reply to message #68466] Sun, 20 April 2014 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

On Friday we celebrated the mock trial, torture and ritual killing of some poor Jewish bloke. We called that Good Friday. Not for him, obviously.

Sunday we celebrate "3 days later" the alleged return to life of the dead Jewish bloke. Not that it is three days later, but it is on the new Christian Sabbath.

So we celebrate the creation of a problematic, dogmatic, self righteous, evangelical, controlling religious cult, bolted into place by those who wanted political control over others.

Easter, of course, is not a christian festival anyway. It was raped and pillaged by the christian church as a further means if subjugating the populace.

I had a chocolate egg, an obvious christian symbol. It was delivered by a rabbit.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 April 2014 13:39]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Easter has arrived.  [message #68468 is a reply to message #68467] Sun, 20 April 2014 20:08 Go to previous message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

I began reading the lead article today at Box Turtle Bulletin a moment ago, and immediately thought of you Timmy, having a few minutes before that read your reply to this, my Easter thread.

I give you, and I quote:

"So here's some trivia for you. In most of the world, Easter Sunday, which commemorates the resurrection of Jesus, typically goes by a name derived from the Greek Πάσχα (Paskha), which in turn comes from the Hebrew פֶּסַח‎ (Pesaḥ), which is Hebrew for Passover. Early Christianity replaced the Passover lamb with "the Lamb of God" and kept the name for their own commemoration of the Resurrection. The Greek Πάσχα was quickly transliterated into the Latin Pascha, and together those two languages gave rise to the modern Pashkë (Albanian,) Pazko (Bosque), Pasqua (Catalan), Påske (Danish and Norwegian), Pasen (Dutch), Pääsiäinen (Finnish), Pasko (Esperanto), Pâques (French), Pasko ng Pagkabuhay (Filipino), Pascua (Galician), Pak (Haitian Creole), Pasqua (Italian), Paskah (Indonesian), Paskah (Javanese), Paskah (Malay), Páscoa (Portuguese), Paşti (Romanian), Πасха (Pascha, Russian), Pascua (Spanish), Pasaka (Swahili), Påsk (Swedish), Paskalya (Turkish), Πаска (Paska, Ukrainian), and Pasg (Welsh).But in the good old King James English, we call it Easter, which has nothing to do with the Paschal sacrifice or Passover or any of that. The Old English word Ēastre or Ēostre refers to the month of the Germanic calendar which the Venerable Bede in the Eighth century said was named for the Anglo-Saxon goddess Ēostre. (Easter in modern German is rendered as Ostern.) Which means that in the Lord's Red-Letter English, we have taken the Paschal Lamb out of Pascha and replaced it with Easter eggs, bunnies, bonnets, and Peeps. Happy Easter everyone!"

I had never intended a religious thread, nor a celebration of any one particular belief; just a recognition of its' being a weekend sacred to many, and my heartfelt best wishes for everyone's health and safety, is all.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sun, 20 April 2014 20:09]

Previous Topic: Queers are very good in the hotel and catering trades
Next Topic: A vendor suggests I be a better bottom
Goto Forum: