A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Stories and the queue
 () 1 Vote
Re: 2 June update, Vacation schedule  [message #69742 is a reply to message #69741] Wed, 03 June 2015 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masuk is currently offline  masuk

Getting started

Thanks so much for the great work you and the authors are doing.

It's greatly appreciated.

Adrian
Thailand
Re: 2 June update, Vacation schedule  [message #69744 is a reply to message #69742] Wed, 03 June 2015 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
masuk wrote on Wed, 03 June 2015 13:39Thanks so much for the great work you and the authors are doing.

It's greatly appreciated.

Adrian
Thailand

--
I think the greatest part of the credit goes to the authors.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Status on return from vacation, 28 June 2015  [message #69838 is a reply to message #68736] Sun, 28 June 2015 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We return in a good state:

Set 1 goes out on 29 June, tomorrow. I'm working in the morning, so you'll have to wait for the UK afternoon

Status is as follows:

Sets 1 - 12: 6 items
Sets 13 - 16: 5 items
Set 17: 4 items
Sets 18 - 22: 2 items
Sets 23 - 85: 1 item

I'll take a view during the week on whether to accelerate. I don't really want more than six items per set, but I may add bonus sets, potentially at the weekend. The last thing any of us needs is the queue to become too long.

Remember, the long tail is because we do not like to run more than one story by the same author at the same time. You can make a good guess, therefore, that I have a number of lengthy serials by one of our regulars to release to you.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
30 June. I am getting there  [message #69851 is a reply to message #69838] Tue, 30 June 2015 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

OK, I am coming to a conclusion. Unless I act now I will have a queue build up again, so I am avoiding that. To do this I am moving to issue the next four sets with seven items, something that compresses the embryo queue quite well, and I will be issuing more than three sets per week.

This is the situation now, before I issue any further sets:

Sets 1 - 4: 7 items, one new short serial
Sets 5 - 11: 6 items, one new medium length serial, one new longer serial, multiple short stories
Sets 12 - 15: 5 items, multiple short stories
Set 16: 3 items
Sets 17 - 21: 2 items, one new long serial
Sets 22 - 84: 1 item, one new long serial

Of course, this will all change as time passes, but I thought you would like to know where we are.

My plans are to have no more than 6 items per set and to publish on Monday Wednesday and Friday, but I need to publish more for a short time in order to achieve that. The next set can wait until tomorrow, though Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 30 June 2015 13:39]

Re: 30 June. I am getting there  [message #69859 is a reply to message #69851] Wed, 01 July 2015 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Welcome back! Your commentary and guidance were missed. Nice to have the helmsman back aboard!
And on 1 July, all change!  [message #69863 is a reply to message #69859] Wed, 01 July 2015 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Just when you think it's safe to put your head above the parapet, things change. Andichan ran out of muse on a new tale he has half finished and which I had half scheduled. Shit, as they say, happens. He will get his muse back. The story is well worth it and I know he can do it. That has thrown the rest up in the air a little, so I have rescheduled as follows:

Sets 1 - 8: 7 items. Several new short stories, one new serial
Sets 9: 5 items, a new short story
Sets 10, 11: 4 items. More new short stories
Sets 12 on: the long tail of tales, 3, 2 and 1 items

Now we are back under control, though mainly by losing a space I had earmarked for Andichan. I'm wavering on whether I publish extra sets or not. I suspect you will know when I know!

15 July - a shortage  [message #69938 is a reply to message #68736] Wed, 15 July 2015 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Here's the status:

We just published a set today. Set 1 goes out on Friday

Set 1: 7 items
Sets 2 & 3: 6 items
Sets 4 & 5: 4 items
Sets 6 - 17: 3 items
Sets 18 - 60: 2 items
Sets 61 - 77: 1 item

So, as you can see, we need more decent stories. I have two unfinished tales waiting in the wings, one of which will come to fruition sooner than the other. That second one seems to increase at a chapter every 2 months and I wonder if it will see a conclusion. The first is interrupted by a vacation. There was a third, but  that has been abandoned after two chapters, and a fourth the author has had to put on one side for a while to get his muse back.

I do have a short story awaiting confirmation of author name and email for publication from one of us here. I'm planning that for set 4, which means Friday week

So, it's down to you and me. I do look at Nifty and try hard to find pearls there, but it's hard to find pearls

20 July, back on track  [message #69987 is a reply to message #69938] Mon, 20 July 2015 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Things always change. Just when I felt we might be draining the well I had a new influx. I have some others heading my way, I hope, but we only know when we know. Just issued a set. Set 1 happens on Wednesday.

Set 1: 6 items
Sets 2 & 3: 5 items
Set 4:6 items (yes, I know, but it's to do with requests from authors)
Sets 5 - 11: 5 items
Sets 12 - 16: 4 items
Sets 17 - 19: 3 items
Sets 20 - 58: 2 items
Sets 58 - 75: 1 item

What this means is that the queue is so short as to be almost unnoticeable.

And it means we have some new material in it! And not all is from authors you know here.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 July 2015 08:45]

31 July 2015  [message #70048 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 31 July 2015 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

And here we are at the end of July. Set 1 is scheduled for Monday.

Sets 1 - 6: 6 items
Set 7: 5 items
Sets 8 - 14: 4 items
Sets 15 - 52: 2 items
Sets 53 - 70: 1 item

This is marginally incorrect because I have probably four more chapters of The Apprentice not yet written and scheduled, one and a half stories from Andichan, one he is on a roll with and one he has got stuck on, and a whole nother story in sloooooow development that I have had the first chapters of for ages.

I also have the promise of a twelve parter from a new author here, but I am not holding my breath.

[Updated on: Fri, 31 July 2015 09:39]

12 August 2015  [message #70095 is a reply to message #68736] Wed, 12 August 2015 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Things seem to be pretty healthy. Here is the status after the publishing of todays set:

Sets 1 - 6: 6 items
Sets 7 - 9: 5 items
Sets 10 - 24: 3 items
Sets 25 - 47: 2 items
Sets 48 - 65: 1 item

I also have at least one story, unscheduled so far, waiting in the wings until the author gives me permission to release it

[Updated on: Wed, 12 August 2015 08:28]

21 August 2015  [message #70130 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 21 August 2015 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ok, here is the state of play between now and 16 September.

I will be issuing three more sets, all next week, before going on vacation until I return on 16 September. No point in burgling the house, the builders are in while I'm away.

Today' after issuing today's set, the queue looks like this:

Sets 1 & 2: 6 items
Sets 3 - 5: 5 items
Sets 6 & 7: 4 items
Sets 8 - 20: 3 items
Sets 21 - 43: 2 items
Sets 44 - 61: 1 item

In addition I have four incomplete tales waiting in the wings, two from Andrew Foote, one from DJ where I have the first 10 parts of Gypsy;s further trials and tribulations and am awaiting the rest before scheduling it. It's probably a good 30+ chapters, and I have a long promised one growing by a chapter every two months by a new author.

Sets 1, 2, & 3 go out next week. I am most unlikley to issue a set on 16 September, even though it is a Wednesday. Set 4 will go out on Friday 18 September

As go on holiday  [message #70146 is a reply to message #68736] Wed, 26 August 2015 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have the following status, with set 1 going out on Friday and set 2 coming out when I return, after 16 September:

Set 1: 5 items
Sets 2 & 3: 6 items
Sets 4 & 5: 5 items
Sets 6 - 12: 4 items
Sets 13 - 18: 3 items
Sets 19 - 41: 2 items
Sets 42 - 59: 1 item

I have four partial stories waiting in the wings to be scheduled. One awaits the polishing of the existing chapters and will be lengthy, the other two await the author's having finished them. I also have one story already set up for Christmas, and one that I doubt will ever be completed, but which I hold two initial chapters from.

I also have an eight part story in the schedule that may get pulled because the author seems to have no time to write at present and has many chapters left to write, though I am leaving it in until I know one way or the other

[Updated on: Wed, 26 August 2015 14:15]

21 September 2015  [message #70225 is a reply to message #68736] Mon, 21 September 2015 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Obviously back from vacation and running again!

The queue is healthy, with no delays.

Sets 1 - 9: 5 items
Sets 10 - 12: 4 items
Sets 13 - 34: 3 items
Sets 35 - 38: 2 items
Sets 39 - 56: 1 item

[Updated on: Mon, 21 September 2015 07:59]

26 September  [message #70259 is a reply to message #68736] Mon, 28 September 2015 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have a healthy queue, and are still able to slot new items in at once or almost at once. Set 1 goes out on Wednesday

Sets 1 - 7: 6 items
Sets 8 - 12: 5 items
Sets 13 - 31: 4 items
Set3 32: 3 items
Sets 33 - 35: 2 items
Sets 36 - 55: 1 item

I am awaiting the arrival of completing chapters from a long serial, completing chapters from three short serials, one of which has been over a year in gestation, and two new entire serials. So I may move us up to seven items per set for a while. The long tail is healthy because we are queueing up sequential work from a particular author or two, who write long pieces

I am also starting to build a Christmas set, and also awaiting the first Halloween story to build a Halloween set

Re: 26 September  [message #70261 is a reply to message #70259] Mon, 28 September 2015 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Let me try that again after a major delivery today!

Sets 1 - 7: 7 items
Sets 8 - 12: 6 items
Sets 13 - 31: 5 items
Set 32: 4 items
Sets 33 - 35: 3 items
Sets 36 - 49: 2 items
Sets 49 - 55: 1 item

Now, as you can see, we are up to 7 item sets and a goodly number of 6 item sets. I really do not want to go above 7 in a set, so I might accelerate for a short time. What I do not want to do is to have the queue enter a fourth week, Right now we can be said to have entered a third week. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing at present. But we have great tales heading your way

3 October, a bit of rejigging  [message #70268 is a reply to message #68736] Sat, 03 October 2015 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

An author has asked me to take their self administered pressure off. Real life has interfered with their editing and polishing process, so I am delaying that start of a tale. That's a good thing to do. So I've unqueued ten chapters for now. The tale is some 50 chapters long, and having gaps in the middle and an author under pressure is the last thing anyone needs.

So, after today's bonus set, here is the current status:

Sets 1 - 4: 6 items
Sets 5 - 28: 5 items
Set 29: 4 items
Sets 30 - 35: 3 items
Sets 36 - 53: 2 items
Sets 54 - 72: 1 item

Waiting in the wings, unscheduled, I have:
  • the first 6 chapters of a serial that is paused at present, awaiting returm of muse.
  • the first 11 chapters of a serial awaiting the author's return from vacation
  • the first 12 chapters of a serial that is still in the gestation period, no sign of any end or any recent new chapters
  • the first 10 chapters of a 50+ chapter serial that is awaiting edits

9 October and planning for Halloween  [message #70295 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 09 October 2015 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Halloween is empty so far. Bugger.

Here is the queue health. Notice that we can publish one, probably two, new items at once without breaking the artificial barrier of seven items

Sets 1 - 25: 5 items
Sets 26 - 28: 4 items
Sets 29 - 39: 3 items
Sets 40 - 49: 2 items
Sets 50 - 68: 1 item

I'm still holding off on three incomplete serials, no four. One author is currently in a tough lace and lost his muse, another is s slow that I wonder if he is still alive(!) and another is writing a new serial while editing the previous one. I have 257 items in the queue including those I am holding off.

Halloween: ZERO
Christmas: one 4 part tale, one short story

Almost a year has passed  [message #70343 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 16 October 2015 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, six weeks short of a year. Our queue is tamed. As evidence I cite the immediate scheduling for a new short story by Nicholas Hall, received an hour or two ago, for Set 1, on Monday.

To keep "all, y'all" up to speed, here is the status as it stands today

Set 1: 6 items
Sets 2 - 22: 5 items
Sets 23 - 25: 4 items
Sets 26 - 36: 3 items
Sets 37 - 46: 2 items
Sets 47 - 65: 1 item

Two authors are in place for Christmas Eve. 

No stories at all have arrived for Halloween

Thursday 22 October  [message #70384 is a reply to message #68736] Thu, 22 October 2015 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I may be able to issue some bonus sets over the weekend. Not sure yet.  Here is the current status. Set 1 goes out tomorrow, Friday

Sets 1 - 5: 7 items
Sets 6 - 13: 6 items
Sets 14 - 20: 5 items
Sets 21 - 23: 4 items
Sets 24 - 34: 3 items
Sets 35 - 44: 2 items
Sets 45 - 63: 1 item

And there is more. I am in the middle of receiving a 52 chapter work that will go in to the mix as soon as I am able. I have 279 story items in stock at present. Six serials in that number are awaiting completion before I start them. A two chapter piece looks unlikely ever to see the light of day because the author has run out of inspiration.

I will decide on Saturday if we are to have a bonus set on Saturday, perhaps on Sunday as well.

Re: Thursday 22 October  [message #70386 is a reply to message #70384] Fri, 23 October 2015 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I don't need to wait until Saturday. I'm limited by Eventide, for which one, perhaps two more parts will arrive over the ones I have in the queue. I won't hurry Arthur so any bonuses will have to wait for a week and a bit.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 October 2015 14:48]

Sadly, No halloween special  [message #70483 is a reply to message #68736] Sat, 31 October 2015 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Are these updates still useful?[ 5 votes ]
1. Yes 5 / 100%
2. No 0 / 0%

That's a pity, but maybe that is the Halloween trick on us this year!

Here is the queue status. Set 1 goes out on Monday:

Sets 1 & 2: 7 items
Sets 3 - 16: 6 items
Sets 17 - 19: 5 items
Sets 20 - 26: 4 items
Sets 27 - 30: 3 items
Sets 31 - 40: 2 items
Sets 41 - 59: 1 item

There is a 50+ chapter serial waiting to be scheduled once the final chapters are polished and in my hands. Most of the stories scheduled are fairly lengthy serials, hence the long tail in the queue

What is heading our way? Well, the answer is lots, and by all of our favourite authors. At present there is less emphasis on sex and even more on plot. It goes in cycles.

6 November 2015  [message #70517 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 06 November 2015 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

After issuing today's set we have the following:

Sets 1 - 13: 7 items. There will be bonus sets
Sets 14 - 16: 6 items. This is why there can be bonus sets
Sets 17 - 23: 5 items. This backs up the bonus sets
Sets 24 - 27: 4 items
sets 28 - 50: 2 items
Sets 51 - 56: 1 item

Christmas Eve is looking healthy, too, but can always be healthier!

[Updated on: Fri, 06 November 2015 16:06]

Re: 6 November 2015  [message #70518 is a reply to message #70517] Fri, 06 November 2015 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 06 November 2015 16:04Christmas Eve is looking healthy, too, but can always be healthier!

I'd best get off my bottom then as I've got a basic plot for a short story that follows on from an existing one, including two endings and both would make it a Christmas tale.
Re: 6 November 2015  [message #70520 is a reply to message #70517] Sat, 07 November 2015 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 06 November 2015 16:04After issuing today's set we have the following:

--
I have run into a technical difficulty on bonus sets. I intended to issue one today, may still be able to, but the gremlins have got to me.

Re: 6 November 2015  [message #70521 is a reply to message #70518] Sat, 07 November 2015 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick "

"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Fri, 06 November 2015 16:04Christmas Eve is looking healthy, too, but can always be healthier!

I'd best get off my bottom then as I've got a basic plot for a short story that follows on from an existing one, including two endings and both would make it a Christmas tale.

--
This sounds promising!

9 November 2015  [message #70530 is a reply to message #70517] Mon, 09 November 2015 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 06 November 2015 16:04After issuing today's set we have the following:

--
A lot has happened over the weekend!

After today's set (Monday) we have the following:

Sets 1 - 15: 7 items. At three sets a week that means a five week queue. I am taking steps to accelerate
Sets 16 - 22: 6 items
Sets 23 - 26: 5 items
Sets 27 - 50: 3 items
Sets 51 - 55: 1 item

So, what happened?

Andrew Foote's "Loneliness, Moving On", arrived, and a new tale form DJ, "Pluto's Child", arrived. One is 27 chapters, the other 38. That's great news. Eventide expanded from 6 to 8 chapters, and those are slotted in as extras as soon as they arrive.

There is a lot coming to amuse and amaze you, but I want to get it to you faster. Mind you, remember how long the queue was this time last year? We're under control. And the brief period of acceleration will be as brief as I can make it.

13 November, an embarrassment of riches  [message #70537 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 13 November 2015 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It looks like the accelerated rate will continue for at least a week more. This is the situation with Set 1 going out on Saturday:

Sets 1 - 18: 7 items
Sets 19 - 22: 6 items
Set 23: 4 items
Sets 24 - 46: 3 items
Set 47: 2 items
Sets 48 - 51: 1 item

Eighteen sets of 7 items is too long a queue. Even if no more new tales arrive that is almost three weeks if I run at a set per day, and we are in the happy situation of more stories arriving quite unexpectedly. Raising the running rate to 8 items per set is not useful. It sounds good, but there have been complaints when that approach was done before. That holds true even when some tales have short chapters.

So we will continue at the accelerated rate until I am comfortable with the queue being manageable again. But remember, this time last year the queue was 15 weeks!

20 November 2015. SO, how are we doing?  [message #70566 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 20 November 2015 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Set 1 goes out on Saturday. We are still running at the accelerated rate. I'm not quite decided when to slow down. I think when I have six sets with seven items apiece in, and then we drop down to Monday. Wednesday and Friday again

Sets 1 - 15: 7 items. Still too many for a short queue
Set 16: 6 items
Sets 17 - 23: 5 items
Sets 24 - 29: 4 items
Sets 30 - 39: 3 items
Sets 40 - 42: 2 items
Sets 43 - 44: 1 item

There are a couple of uncertainties. We're not sure when the final Eventide chapter will arrive. There are a few timing issues with Westcliff Writer, too, because he is having a vacation from writing during December. I may delay a couple of starts until I see a couple of finishes there Smile. So things may shuffle a bit, but nothing alarming

Smokr: Adonis comes soon! Take that any way you like!

There is a great new AB tale, a new Rick Beck that is not in our niche, but is a story that needs to be told, a new DJ in 2 sets time

There's a new Nick Brady, too. In fact I am losing count!

27 November 2015  [message #70576 is a reply to message #68736] Fri, 27 November 2015 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

So, where are we? Remember this time last year, when the queue was over 15 weeks for a new story to be published? Those days are well and truly gone. We do have a bit of a queue, though, but we've been working on it hard.

Set 1 goes out on Saturday. There will be a set on Sunday, and then on Monday we return to Monday, Wednesday and Friday publishing days.

Sets 1 - 9: 7 items
Sets 10 - 16: 6 items
Sets 17 - 18: 5 items, however things are a little up in the air form this point on, pending arrival or not of the final two chapters of  queued tale
Sets 19 - 22: 4 items
sets 23 - 32: 3 items
Sets 33 - 37: 2 items

And we have Christmas Eve, too, where there is plenty of room for special stories.

The run up to Christmas 2015, and beyond  [message #70611 is a reply to message #68736] Mon, 07 December 2015 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

9 December, Set 1: 7 items, though it looks like 8. Saturday Boy concludes
11 December, Set 2: 7 items, For Everything You Were starts
14 December, Set 3: 7 items, Catch Me if I fall concludes, Elf Boy's Friends IV starts. Knots Book 3 starts
16 December, Set 4: 7 items, A set of Vignettes by N Fourbois starts, Tony;s story concludes
18 December, Set 5: 7 items, The Epilogue for Nick and Tony
21 December, Set 6: 7 items: Marco in the Park starts
22 December, Set 7: 7 items
24 December, Christmas Eve Set: Wait and see!
25 December, Set 8, If I get the chance: 7 items, but it may just not happen. I am not necessarily online that day! Wonder why that might be?

And, from then on:

Sets 9 & 10: 7 items
Set 11: 6 items
Sets 12 - 16: 5 items
Set 17: 4 items
Sets 18 - 26: 3 items
Sets 27 - 31: 2 items
Sets 32 & 33: 1 item

Here we are on 26 December  [message #70668 is a reply to message #70611] Sat, 26 December 2015 10:40 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The next set goes out on 28 December

Set 1: 8 items, coz one author missed the Christmas Story cut off. I could have held it for 2016!
Sets 2 - 4: 7 items
Set 5: 6 items
Sets 6 - 8: 5 items
Sets 9 - 16: 4 items
Sets 17 & 18: 3 items
Sets 19 - 23: 2 items
Sets 24 & 25: 1 item

I have three unfinished stories waiting in the wings. Two are likely to be finished, one has been in development for over 18 months and may or may not go anywhere.

Do we think it's time to ask Smokr if he will bring the stories of first sexual experience he has penned for others here in a collection?

Do you have any favourite authors you would like to come here? If they are in our niche please ask them to email me. Remember, plot comes first along with age group. We do have exceptions to age group, but they are rare. East on St James is one such exception. Sex is optional.

Previous Topic: The Christmas 2015 stories are here
Next Topic: The Chronicles of Valana Volume 1: Shadowlands
Goto Forum: