A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A new web service
icon10.gif A new web service  [message #68784] Sat, 20 December 2014 14:44 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We've just added an LGBT news aggregation service to the site. The left hand menu now has LGBT News added. Please let us know what you think.

LGBT News. New on 20 December 2014

We have a new page on the site that aggregates LGBT news from around the globe, daily, at about noon UK time. We'd like to know what you think about it. It's here and opens in a new tab

I like it
I don't like it
I don't care either way

Current Results

[Updated on: Sat, 20 December 2014 15:06]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A new web service  [message #68800 is a reply to message #68784] Fri, 26 December 2014 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I like the idea, but the scrolling of the news pane seems to work erratically if at all for me. Admittedly, I'm using Safari on the iPad at present, instead of my usual firefox/win7/netbook. Due to a dodgy back, I have to keep baggage weight as low as possible when going to my Mum's for Christmas!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: A new web service  [message #68801 is a reply to message #68784] Fri, 26 December 2014 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Nice to have everything in one place. I have some difficulty with the stories scroll bar -- seems to be frightfully narrow! -- but I'll learn.

Thanks for adding it.
Re: A new web service  [message #68803 is a reply to message #68801] Fri, 26 December 2014 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The internal scrolling is awkward, but out of my control. There is a link to the entire thing, off the site, though. Click the headline and it takes you to it.

Aggravatingly it works in Firefox, but I have opened a support ticket with the supplier. It has annoyed me too.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 December 2014 09:21]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: A new web service  [message #69460 is a reply to message #68803] Sat, 11 April 2015 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Interestingly, very few folk are interested in this page, and yet the news on it, and on the base page it comes from on paper.li contains a huge amount of LGBT news that you just will not find elsewhere. I dont get any wortwhile stats from the page that generates the service, but I do from the site here.

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1857&private=0

You often hear it first here! Well, you would!

Re: A new web service  [message #69465 is a reply to message #69460] Sun, 12 April 2015 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

Clever "Title".

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: A new web service  [message #69468 is a reply to message #68784] Mon, 13 April 2015 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashdaw is currently offline  Ashdaw

Toe is in the water

Well, don't think much of it but, it's mostly about America.. from what I could see.
Re: A new web service  [message #69470 is a reply to message #69468] Mon, 13 April 2015 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Ashdaw wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:20Well, don't think much of it but, it's mostly about America.. from what I could see.

--
That is because that is where most of the LGBT news it aggregates is from. It is impartial and automatic, and changes daily. Make more noise down under and it will reflect that.

Re: A new web service  [message #69483 is a reply to message #69468] Fri, 17 April 2015 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Ashdaw wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 14:20Well, don't think much of it but, it's mostly about America.. from what I could see.

--
Perhaps you've noticed a difference over the last few days. Of course you'll have to work out how to find the back issues. There's been a great deal about a great deal of places.

Re: A new web service  [message #76582 is a reply to message #68784] Mon, 09 March 2020 13:06 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The once exciting service was emasculated a couple of weeks ago by paper.li, the aggregation service. It seems that their financial model was not as successful as they had expected. Free papers were not turning into paid for papers, or so we believe.

What did they do?

They all but nuked the free papers, with the incentive to upgrade to a paid service of "If you want your old facilities back, give us money!"

As I'm sure everyone realises, this is not really on. I gave them a couple of weeks, suspecting they might face a backlash. What they really faced was a tsunami of apathy.

I know that what they really want is for the free users to clear off. I decided they could have what they wanted. So that service died and left the site today.

Previous Topic: Gay Animals
Next Topic: Contributions?
Goto Forum: